• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Burnt taste from Vivi Nova.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
South Africa
Because it's so temperamental, I try to keep it upright at all times.
I do this because often it suddenly stops working completely. I then remove the mouth piece and find
liquid underneath and on top of the silica cap.
Drying this lot tends to get the unit working again.
I would turn it slightly on it's side to coat the wick, but try to keep any liquid from reaching the top.

Sarje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Jeffreys Bay
A Vivi will only work properly upright when totally full. This will explain why it only tastes burnt after a few hours. Vivi users all have to tip to avoid burning or dry hits.
Did you buy a knock off or a genuine Vivi? Also, make sure the metal insert in the silicon cap is up the right way.
If it's really getting on your nerves, get yourself a Protank. Bottom coils negate the need for tipping. Can be re-wicked as easily as a Vivi too.

ToeJamX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Palm Beach, Fl
I love the vivi novas, but when replacing the coil, I learned that you do get dry hits, burnt hits, etc. So, here's what has worked well for me.

When I replace the coil with a new one, I remove the silicone tip, then I gently pull one of the three wicks out of the replacement, and just rest it basically in the same position, but on top of the coil. Then I replace the silicone tip.

This will change the atomizer resistance by quite a bit sometimes, so be careful at first if you don't have a mod with an ohmmeter or a variable wattage battery.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I love the vivi novas, but when replacing the coil, I learned that you do get dry hits, burnt hits, etc. So, here's what has worked well for me.

When I replace the coil with a new one, I remove the silicone tip, then I gently pull one of the three wicks out of the replacement, and just rest it basically in the same position, but on top of the coil. Then I replace the silicone tip.

This will change the atomizer resistance by quite a bit sometimes, so be careful at first if you don't have a mod with an ohmmeter or a variable wattage battery.

Don't tighten the the top all the way on vivi novas, hand tight it then back off top 1 full turn.

You could also try cutting a small V into the silicon above wicks pinch the silicon in your fingers then use a nail clipper, might help.

Thicker juice will also gum up your wicks.

The lower voltage/watts you use will also help to extend the life of wicks.

I myself always refill the tank at the half way point.

Soon as you get a dry hit, stop and check that your not vaping at a high voltage/watts make sure your wick is wet or else your wick/coil will be burnt and NG.

One other thing very important before you vape prime the wick first time and wait a few min.

Soon as a wick gets burnt it stays that way!

If you get a burnt wick, try to nudge (move) the burnt part of wick away from coil by pulling gentle one end then the other.

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2009
    South Africa
    Can anyone tell me how liquid gets to the top of the silica cap and the underside of the mouth piece?
    Every time I unscrew the mouth piece and top up the liquid, on replacing the mouth piece the unit is dead.
    I then have to remove the cap and soak up any liquid in that area, and usually the problem is sorted.
    This has occurred the last four times I have topped up.

Another thing, is there bad juice and good juice on the market?
    Possibly I need to pay more for better juice.

I have also found that I get better vapor by removing the silica cap.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Can anyone tell me how liquid gets to the top of the silica cap and the underside of the mouth piece?
    Every time I unscrew the mouth piece and top up the liquid, on replacing the mouth piece the unit is dead.
    I then have to remove the cap and soak up any liquid in that area, and usually the problem is sorted.
    This has occurred the last four times I have topped up.

Another thing, is there bad juice and good juice on the market?
    Possibly I need to pay more for better juice.

I have also found that I get better vapor by removing the silica cap.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Found this today been useing the tip in video all day this might work for you.

Vivi Nova secret gasket tip! - YouTube

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2009
    South Africa
    I have been keeping the mouth piece loose today as suggested by "mightymen" and, bravo, no more problems that I
    had yesterday. I had a quick look at the video but need to have a second look because I cannot identify the "secret gasket" described.
    On my first viewing, I thought this gasket was inside the mouth piece. Between it and the silica cap there is no gasket.

Boeriemore

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2009
    South Africa
    I made my second coil. I get a resistance reading of 2.5 ohms.
    It worked well for a day then deteriorated over the next two days.
    Now it's not performing at all. As usual, the wick at the coil is
    blacked, presumably burnt.
    The problem must surely be an inferior wick material, silica.
    I wish I could find something that works for about a week.

NickHead

Dec 9, 2012
    South Africa
    I have had my ViviNova like in forever with no probs. I also have a Protank 2 that lies in my drawer hardly used as I prefer the VN.
    Never fill it to the top as the coil gets "drowned" and you will get much less vapor.
    Mostly after refiling it will not work at all due to over tightening. Just tweak it loose and listen for a burn. If no burn, tweak some more until you hear it fire.
    I use a SVD and check the ohms. If it says "NON" then I loosen it a tweak until it shows the resistance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread