Burnt taste with Kanger Protank II, even with brand new coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinz

Oct 9, 2013
Wisconsin
I love my protank II, but just recently the frequency of burnt tasting hits has been increasing. I got a 5 pack of new coils in the mail a couple days ago (1.8 ohm) and have been vaping an 80%VG/20%PG juice at about 3.7 volts. First day with the new coils was awesome, but on day 2 I got a couple of burnt hits here and there. Today I dumped the juice, cleaned everything, and popped in a new coil to see if it would help. About the 3rd hit I got that burnt taste already. I have tried lowering my voltage to around 3.5, I flipped that rubber gasket upside down (which in the past always did the trick) and I have been taking non-powered hits. Anyone got other suggestions. I have read about removing some of the flavor wicks. I've been at vaping for about 3 months now so I would consider myself to be fairly new still so I apologize if some of your wisdom is lost on me. It's a problem I could live with but I know all you smart vapers out there probably have some tricks up your sleeve to help me out. I'm using an MVP 2.0 if that is important at all.

Thanks!!!

Conchord George

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2013
NH
Taking the flavor wicks out of Kanger products is probably the easiest way to help with wicking issues. With thinner juices, this may cause gurgling, but your juice is pretty thick. You can always put one or two back if need be.

That said, burning taste seems to be more common these days from Kanger heads. If the above tip doesn't help, next step would be to try and rebuild the head with kanthal and cotton. There are lots of videos and tutorials for this online and it's considered an easy rebuild my most.
Good luck!

Phinz

Oct 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Yeah I have been leaning towards rebuilding my own coils for a couple weeks now. Now that I have a decent amount of used coils I think I'll give it a go. Looks easy enough for me to do. And I'll probably try taking out some of the flavor wicks in the morning. One question I have pertaining to rebuilding my own coils is 'How do you know what gauge kanthal to use?'

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
with 80% vg you will probably have to remove bolth top wicks ! when i vape 100% vg i only use a dripper and if i feel the need to put it in my protank i make my own coil usin 28g kanthal micro coil and a single piece of 3mm silica thrugh the center of it, no flavor wick and i flip the silicon gromit on the coil head upside down... its the only way it will wick 100% vg liquid for me

ohhh and by the way ... good choise on the i taste MVP !!! great mod !!!

have you tried lowering the voltage down to 3.3 ? then start going up from there till you get a burnt hit, the voltage you got a burnt hit at will be the top of the range you can vape at. with a 1.8 ohm coil you may need to be around 3.4 to 3.8 volts or try out 7 watts and see how that feels

to remove the wicks just hold the base of the coil head with your fingers and grab the post or chimney with your other hand and wiggle it till it pops off, you will see two small 1mm wicks right on top of the coil, now just gentley flick them up and they will flop out of the chamber exposing the coil and thicker wick, leave that alone ... or wash it off whatever, and then pop the tube or chimney back on and reasemble the protank with the silicone facing up, if it floods flip the silicon back down.

dont waste you e juice lol dump it into a small bottle and put it back in the tank, that stuff is expencive !!!

ohh and i have been using the protank since the day it hit the market ! trust me when i say stay away from there low res coils !!! the kanger low res coils are terrible ! they are hit or mis for some reason, i have had whole packs that crapped out in 2 days each ! i was about to give up on the protank when i ordered a 5 pack of 2.8 ohm heads and i never looked back from there ! the low res heads seem to burn way too easy ! its like they use a differant wire, its thinner than what a 1.8 ohm coils wire should be for some reason.... but the 2.8 ohm or the highest ohms you can get for the protank seem to just vape way better and can handle up to 5 volts just fine !

i would rather vape a 2.8 ohm coild that works at 4.5v than vape a 1.8 ohm coil that burns at 3.4 v wouldnt you ?

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
That would depend on what resistance you are shooting for. Most people use 30 or 28 to rebuild.
Not on the Protank...very little room for alot of coils..and with 28ga there will be ALOT of coils, even with a micro coil there is very little room for error...32ga at 5 wraps, and 30 gauge at 7 wraps, give right around 2.0Ω, most APV's won't fire below 1.3Ω. (not saying it ain't possible with 28 gauge...but it's not "beginner level" tweaking)

I bought a bunch of the prebuilts wicks/coils from FT (50 pack for $6.80)
Also this method works WONDERS for stock protank heads

Another thing you can do is back off the bottom section from the tank section 1/4 to 1/2 turn to relieve the pressure on the rubber cap choking the coils...not too much or it will definitely leak

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Yeah I have been leaning towards rebuilding my own coils for a couple weeks now. Now that I have a decent amount of used coils I think I'll give it a go. Looks easy enough for me to do. And I'll probably try taking out some of the flavor wicks in the morning. One question I have pertaining to rebuilding my own coils is 'How do you know what gauge kanthal to use?'

simple just if you want a higher resistance get higher guage wire lower res get lower guage wire and shoot for 5-6 wraps
now i wrap big coils that just barley fit in the head but its how i do it so... no milion wrap micro coils for my protank or i wouldnt be able to judge resistance
5-6 wraps of 28 in a protank would be like 1.2 ohms thats what i do for my mech mod
5-6 wraps of 32 would be like 2.5 ohm thats what you should shoot for with your MVP !!!

if you want a warmer vape try out 30 guage 5-6 wraps for around 2 ohms or 4-5 wrap for around 1.5 ohms

you will just get the feel of it after a wile thats all ther is to it.

go to radio shack and get a portable multimeter for 30$ its smaller than the MVP and has a self containing folding case !! fits in my vape bag

order some wick and wire, stormys vapor cellar, kidney puncher, 101 vapes, exe...

go to walgreens and get some organic cotton balls ...studio 35 beautie brand they are great for micro coils !

then practice wrapping coils around a drill bit or a screw driver or even in the threads of a small screw ! practice wrapping around silica and practice stuffing wicks with cotton

after that you should be ready to build a coil i the protank !

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Im really curious about rebuilding coils myself...I have a few from my Protank, I think I may just go get some 32 ga. wire an try it out today!!
You don't have to "rebuild" them to get them to work great

You can "tweak" them with very simple beginner level knowledge...see my above post on the cotton flavor wick video...I still use silica wick (inside the coil) and cotton flavor wick...the PT really do come alive when they can wick properly

(and howdy from Baytown)

Harley0227

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Katy, TX, USA
You don't have to "rebuild" them to get them to work great

You can "tweak" them with very simple beginner level knowledge...see my above post on the cotton flavor wick video...I still use silica wick (inside the coil) and cotton flavor wick...the PT really do come alive when they can wick properly

(and howdy from Baytown)

I have some cotton, I think I'll try the flavor wick part and see what happens!! Howdy from Katy bro!! Im running the 2.4 ohm right now, and I have like 4 of the 2.2 ohm. I already reversed the rubber grommet above the wicks at the advice of my vape shop guy, and that made a hella difference on the hits. Thanks for the tip!!

Big Southpaw

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2013
Richmond, VA
I had a similar problem and have positively no interest into getting into rebuilding heads and such. If turned out for me for whatever reason a vacuum was forming in the tank. Opening the tank would make restore normal flavor and draw, but only for a while. The problem was apparently that the heads were not malfunctioning, but getting too hot creating the vacuum. A switched to a variable voltage battery with a lower power setting which solved the problem for me but still yielded good vapor production. Honestly if I ever got to where I had to build coils and such I'd just put it down entirely. Easy and problem free is what works for me.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I have some cotton, I think I'll try the flavor wick part and see what happens!! Howdy from Katy bro!! Im running the 2.4 ohm right now, and I have like 4 of the 2.2 ohm. I already reversed the rubber grommet above the wicks at the advice of my vape shop guy, and that made a hella difference on the hits. Thanks for the tip!!
flipping the grommet can make em leak like crazy...changing to cotton will make it work MUCH better

Make sure you use organic cotton, some of them are treated with hydrogen peroxide and it tastes like *blargh* until you rinse it out

My target resistance is 2.0Ω but I run APV's and kicks so no need to go low resistance

Haven't stumbled across this piece of advice yet. What would that do, more air for thicker juices?

tia
What it does is "loosen" up the tension on the wicks, allowing more juice to flow, what it does is also open up the groove on the side where the coil/flavor wick sits and could very easily result in TOO much flow and gurgling/leaking

Harley0227

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Katy, TX, USA
I only flip mine for thicker juices. Lighter juices, I dont find the need to flip. So far, Ive had no leaking issues with flipping (fingers crossed). It just helps it wick better with the increased flow. Im running at 7 watts on my SVD with my 2.2 ohm Protank coil. I have no burning tase or issues either with this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread