Burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a smok Alien AL85 with a big baby beast tank. I really like it but I’m having a problem with the coils I think. I’m not a really heavy vaporette but it seems as though my coils only last for 5 days at the most before each hit starts to taste burnt and harsh . Normally I like to set the wattage between 40 and 50.
When I change the atomizer I prime and prep the atomizer with juice and let it sit for an hour. After that I dry hit several times then power up and slowly increase the wattage until I get to the sweet spot. From that I enjoy only a few days of good tasting vapor before I want to switch out the atomizer!! I know they should be lasting longer or am I mistaken? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Just noticed you said you don't vape a lot so maybe the juice isn't the issue. Lots of people on here seem to have problems with the baby beast coils with too tight of wick material. some fluff up the cotton by poking it with a needle or something small

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
building your own coils or using the drop in coil heads? Actually either way 5 days sounds about right to me before needing a new coil head or re wicking one you built. Especially at higher wattages (40 to 50 watts is high to me lol).

I don't use those kind of tanks though, so I am estimating of course.

One thing I can tell you though is you don't have to wait that long to vape it. If you are NOT priming a brand new coil, then ya you might want to let the tank sit for a while after installing a head and filling it. But if you are priming it, as in dripping some fluid into the head or on the wick before you fill it you shouldn't have to wait like that. I don't wait at all. I get the wick nice and saturated, then fill the tank and vape it.

Oh another thing, don't let the tank get empty (unless you dump out the juice) before filling it. If you let the tank get too low or empty the wick will dry out and burn on you. Most people top their mod a bit when I vape, I don't know anyone that vapes with their mod standing straight up. When you tip it the fluid flows away from your fluid intake ports. If you let it get low enough that fluid isn't surrounding those ports then it stops wicking fluid and your coil gets dry when you apply voltage.

This is one of the things temp control is good for. If the wick starts to get dry the coil won't get hot enough to ruin it. I am not sold on temp control yet, but it sure is nice in a dripper.

Good luck.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
There might be ways to get a little more time as others have stated, but if that is the only mod your vaping (vaping that specific coil for 5 days) , then I don't think that's all that bad.....I don't vape drop in coils, but in my rebuildable coils, 5 days is kind of average if I'm vaping that one specific coil for 5 days straight....but it doesn't really matter in days, it's about how many mls of juice your actual vaping....I probably average 15mls before rewicking at 20 watts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
I use a smok Alien AL85 with a big baby beast tank. I really like it but I’m having a problem with the coils I think. I’m not a really heavy vaporette but it seems as though my coils only last for 5 days at the most before each hit starts to taste burnt and harsh . Normally I like to set the wattage between 40 and 50.
When I change the atomizer I prime and prep the atomizer with juice and let it sit for an hour. After that I dry hit several times then power up and slowly increase the wattage until I get to the sweet spot. From that I enjoy only a few days of good tasting vapor before I want to switch out the atomizer!! I know they should be lasting longer or am I mistaken? Does anybody have any suggestions?
I have the same tank.

Which coils are you using?

I am liking the T6 coils.

Might be worth a try to experiment with different Baby Beast coils to see if any of them last longer than others.

Also - I am sometimes leery of certain auction sites, since I know fakes get sold on auction sites. However, SMOK stuff has a very good way to see if it's authentic.

Basically they have a free app that you can use to scan the QR codes on each package. The app will tell you if the item is authentic.

Holy moly! I just looked at that pic I took and realized that these are SS coils. For some reason I thought all the V8 coils were kanthal. I'm going to play with TC now.

25b0f75f27b8411a9f56802837d97cfb.jpg
b145d2faf462c33fb2ce489f1321c89d.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

User335

Oct 4, 2017
Austria

I Have The same Tank.
I hade also Problems with Burned Taste
Some suggestion:
-If PG/VG 20/80 - Don't make Long hits one after another ( The Cotton won't have Time to absorb Juice)
-the Airflow is important ( Open 20%) That will make more Vacuum in Tank (More Juice will be absorbed)
-At start the Juice is thick (Start with lower wattage)
-Sweet Juice can also be a Problem (Google)

I am using:
Baby Beast wit T6 Coil
PG/VG 20/80
52W / Airflow ~20%

i make:
250-350 Puffs/Day
6000-7000 Puffs/Coil - Till it gets Bad

Hope it Helps

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
5 days seems OK to me. I use factory coils from 9-5 and rarely get more than 7-8 days vaping at low-ish power.
I have heard stories of less than 3 days with certain tanks/coils and even commented on a thread (elsewhere in the world) about someone getting 2 days average with your combo.
2 days is a bad result, but 1 coil and the liquid used over those 2 days represented one third the cost of smoking for that user.
Cheaper and safer than smoking. I call that a win. :)

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
I get about 2 or 3 days out of an aspire BVC head. I am not basing that on when it starts to taste horrible though. My problem is the air flow and flavor starts to drop off on them. I could probably get a weak or more out of one before it actually started to taste nasty.

The only thing I have that would have similar coils to the beast tanks is my new aspire athos that came with my speeder. And I don't use it, I tried it, didn't care for it.

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Might want to read through:
Tfv8 Baby beast -- Issues with dry hits, vapour lock, wicking..

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
The short version is premade coils suck they are mass manufactured.i hear a lot of similar issues with smok and have experienced them myself I have a herakles v1 tank that used a range of different premade coils I ran usually from 30-60w and the coils last like a month no matter how crappy they get!! Get coils from a different company? I love Atlantis coils waaay more in my herakles tank same coil size shape and all but a way larger airflow. Makes a world of difference..

The short version is premade coils suck they are mass manufactured.i hear a lot of similar issues with smok and have experienced them myself I have a herakles v1 tank that used a range of different premade coils I ran usually from 30-60w and the coils last like a month no matter how crappy they get!! Get coils from a different company? I love Atlantis coils waaay more in my herakles tank same coil size shape and all but a way larger airflow. Makes a world of difference..
So if I get coils from Atlantis they will be compatible with my tank?

I have the same tank.

Which coils are you using?

I am liking the T6 coils.

Might be worth a try to experiment with different Baby Beast coils to see if any of them last longer than others.

Also - I am sometimes leery of certain auction sites, since I know fakes get sold on auction sites. However, SMOK stuff has a very good way to see if it's authentic.

Basically they have a free app that you can use to scan the QR codes on each package. The app will tell you if the item is authentic.

Holy moly! I just looked at that pic I took and realized that these are SS coils. For some reason I thought all the V8 coils were kanthal. I'm going to play with TC now.

25b0f75f27b8411a9f56802837d97cfb.jpg
b145d2faf462c33fb2ce489f1321c89d.jpg

I am currently using X4. I find the T8 lasts a bit longer.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure about Atlantis. It appears iJoy coils will work. I'd try to SMOK T6 first, though.

424994a37ffe6b374351d9ad193715a1.jpg

There should also be three or so different coil builds for those premades. I find the single coil built premsdes for me personally on smok tanks are the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread