But I don't want nic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm jumping in here without doing research first. Honestly, I've been doing research which is why I'm posting this! Everything I've seen refers to nicotine. I'm very lucky that I've been able to eliminate nic already! So now I'm considering delving into DIY, and I found a link to suppliers that have starter kits, but the ones I've looked at have nicotine. Is anyone aware of any DIY starter kits that don't have nicotine? And what about recipes? Can I just eliminate the nic, or do I have to increase the amount of something else to replace it? My head is swimming. I remember when I started vaping (all of four months ago!), I swore I was only going to use prefilled cartos. Then I broke down and began ordering juice and blank cartos to save money, but I swore I'd never DIY! Well here I am. But this all looks so confusing, I may just go back to prefilled cartos!

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I am vaping self made no nic, too. It's very easy for us lucky ones: We don't have to be as careful and the stuff we need is cheap.

It's almost too easy to do no nic DIY liquid: Just add flavor to PG and/or VG - leave the nic juice out of the recipes, or, if you want to be exact, just replace the amount of nic juice with more PG or VG.

That's it. Really.

Since I am european I can not really tell you where to buy the ingredients, but PG (Propylene Glykol) and VG (Glycerine) in good quality (should be labelled USP in the US) should be dirt cheap compared to juice. I am paying around 10 Euros per liter, and that's expensive.

You can read a lot about flavors in the forum, I leave that to you to explore.

Go ahead and try making your own juice. There isn't much to lose.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
Thanks Chris, that's encouraging! I found a chocolate brownie recipe which calls for PG with nicotine and VG without nicotine, so I was pretty sure I could just use the equal amounts of PG and VG. Now this recipe calls for 2.50 mL of flavoring (25%) and 2.5 mL of Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie (100%). Yup, I'm very confused!

Beans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Missoula Montana
Thanks Catmom! I'm really excited about it, looks like your well on your way too! :) Can you down load an ejuice calculator? There are a bunch of great ones available now...Breaktru's (sorry sp?) is a really good one. It will help take the guess work out. I know it's confusing early on but youll get the hang of it soon enough, and there are always people around to help out.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
Use the flavorings as specified, just substitute plain PG or VG for the nic portion of the recipe. (people may say how many ml of a flavorinig to use for, for instance, a 30ml batch of eliquid, while others may specify %).

OK, so let me see if I've got this straight.

For this recipe, by mergryphon which I'm copying from Candy And Chocolate « E-Liquid Recipe Book -

HV Chocolate Brownie
Nicotine in PG 60mg
Target Nic 30mg
Amount to be made: 10ml
Flavor 25% (My taste buds are dead, I like it strong and sweet.)
PG with Nicotine 5.00ml (150 drops) 50%
VG no Nicotine 2.50ml (75 drops) 25%
Flavoring 2.50ml (75 drops) 25%
Capella’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie 2.5ml (75 drops) 100.0%

To make 10 mL, I would simply use 5 mL of PG, 2.5 mL of VG and 2.5 mL of Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie flavoring. Even I can add that, and yes, it totals 10 mL! :laugh:

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Thanks Chris, that's encouraging! I found a chocolate brownie recipe which calls for PG with nicotine and VG without nicotine, so I was pretty sure I could just use the equal amounts of PG and VG. Now this recipe calls for 2.50 mL of flavoring (25%) and 2.5 mL of Capella's Chocolate Fudge Brownie (100%). Yup, I'm very confused!

(edit) Misunderstood that recipe - yes, your calculation is correct

You could try different amounts of flavor, really. Sometimes less is more.

Last edited:

kelleymcm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
oklahoma city
recipes & easy calculator

but if you are not using nic then it should be easy enough to do w/out calc...
just start with 10% flavoring & add drops till you get flavor to where ya like it ....

& TAKE NOTES !! so you can re-create the flavors that you liked again . GOOD LUCK !!

& check locally for baking supply stores ...they have great flavor selections ...
Lorann's oils are the most concentrated ones usually available from there,but you can always ask what else they might carry .
I have found a few others @ mine ...highly concentrated is the key !! Some have too much water to vape well.

Last edited:

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Also, you can use PG without nicotine for the 50%. Whatever you like really. The recipe calls for 50% PG, 25 percent VG, and 25% flavor. It's that simple. Without nic, the throat hit will be less. You can make your 75 percent PG/VG mix anyway you like it. You can use 45/30 PG/VG if you want more vapor, or 55/20 PG/VG if you want more throat hit. Whatever you like. 25% flavor is on the high side. You may not even like that. You're different than that guy.

I've come to realize now that other people's recipes are only guidelines that the individual has to tweak to make it personal. On the other hand, you may like someone else' recipe right out of the box. It's all experimental.

Last edit (ha ha):

Making juice for yourself with no nic is really easy. Here's a guideline that you may follow.

Make yourself unflavored juice in a small amount of 50/50 PG/VG. Vape it, to see if you like the vaping experience of it. If not, then figure out what it is that you don't like. Is it too harsh, or is there not enough vapor? Once you get your mix right, then change it up with flavor. Flavor comes in PG usually, so account for that in your final PG percentage. As stated above, I would really just start with 10 percent of flavor instead of shooting for this guy's 25%. I was using 15-20 percent in my juice and didn't like it much. The last batch, I lowered it to 10 and hit it right on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread