Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I have seen a lot of people buying and stocking up, I bought only what I'm comfortable with and in the big pool of vape sales,I guess I dipped my toes in. Does anyone feel like they have buyer's remorse ... buying things you know you won't use? Just curious !:)

wizardofozone

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Zelienople,Pa.
I have seen a lot of people buying and stocking up, I bought only what I'm comfortable with and in the big pool of vape sales,I guess I dipped my toes in. Does anyone feel like they have buyer's remorse ... buying things you know you won't use? Just curious !:)

Reactions: Jdurand

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I buy stuff I don't use all the time, from the grocery store to vaping. It happens. To try and minimize that I spend some time checking out an item before ordering, especially hardware. So far I've been happy with all the hardware I've bought. I do regret some juice choices I've made and am more careful now to sample before buying big volumes.

Everyone is different, and you should only buy what you're comfortable with. Some folks will collect lots of vaping supplies, others are happy with a few well made items and leave it at that.

wizardofozone

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Zelienople,Pa.
I've experienced something a little different but similar ... I have bought a few things purely out of fear of the deeming situation . Experimenting with a few things like making a few of my own kanthal coils has made me wonder even more why anybody would want to do such menial and unnecessary labor to produce something that at its very best only equals a factory specimen when all is said and done. The few dollars savings per month is not really a good point either ... when truth be told we also continue to purchase shinyitus items and accessories anyway. To each his own however ! vape on ....

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been vaping for a few years now. I've purchased some things in the past that I no longer use, but I had to use them to know whether they fit my style and preferences of vaping.

In addition, my style and preferences have changed over the years. For years my favorite setup was a Provari with a Kayfun Lite Plus RTA. I haven't used this setup hardly at all in the last year because my preference has changed from a mouth-to-lung draw to a direct-to-lung draw. I am also now building sub-ohm coils for use with either a mechanical mod or my RX200 regulated mod, and my Provari doesn't have the power for that.

I began rebuilding my own coils about two years ago. I grew tired of the inconsistant quality of cartomizers and replacement clearomizer coils. I realized I could rebuild far cheaper than buying replacements, and the vape was better to boot. The coils last for months at a time. The only slight hassle is having to rewick every 3 - 4 days, but thats a task that only takes a couple of minutes.

I've recently stocked up on a few items that I felt that I needed in the case of a worse case scenario. I purchased another drip atomizer (a Velocity clone by Tobecco) for just $17. I purchased a Cherry Vape wide bore cloud chaser drip tip ($10), because its my favorite tip and who knows how long they will be available? I also purchased a silicone sleeve ($5) for my RX200 to help protect it; again, who knows how long these products will be easily available for future sale?

I have nicotine base and vegetable glycerin to make my own DIY. I need some flavoring agents, but those should always be available somewhere. I will probably get some 24 gauge Kanthal wire; I'm using 28G now but I want to make coils with more wraps.

So no regrets. None at all.

Last edited:

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I mostly bought multiples of things I already use, but I did buy several RTAs for that dreaded time when all my factory coils go kaput and I have to learn to build. No regrets.
Love it.. No Regrets!:hubba:

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I've experienced something a little different but similar ... I have bought a few things purely out of fear of the deeming situation . Experimenting with a few things like making a few of my own kanthal coils has made me wonder even more why anybody would want to do such menial and unnecessary labor to produce something that at its very best only equals a factory specimen when all is said and done. The few dollars savings per month is not really a good point either ... when truth be told we also continue to purchase shinyitus items and accessories anyway. To each his own however ! vape on ....
Personally, I prefer my own builds as opposed to the factory s%&$ that I have bought. Not only do they last longer because I can rewick and clean the coils, but I know the exact wire I am using and I am not relying on some Chinese mystery wire. Unless I have put together a crappy build, my coils are 10x better than factory coils. just my :2c:

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I do agree with your point about not really saving money though. My shinyitis has gotten the better of my wallet.

Guess that is my only regret, OP. That I have spent too much $$$.

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I have only stocked up on unflavored PG nicotine base since I have convinced myself that nicotine will come under the guillotine somewhere down the road for us folks living in the US.

I have also bought a few extra atomizers, but in reality, I think mods and atomizers will still be available from China for a very good long long time to come.

Batteries, Kanthal wire, flavorings, USP glycerin and cotton for wicking will never be effected by any of these new regulations / sin taxes that will be forth coming ... so I don't stock up on any of it.

My best advise .... Learn to make your own juice, and stock up on nicotine base while it's still cheap.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Experimenting with a few things like making a few of my own kanthal coils has made me wonder even more why anybody would want to do such menial and unnecessary labor to produce something that at its very best only equals a factory specimen when all is said and done.
Wrapping coils is easy, it only takes a few minutes. If you have a jig or coiling tool like the Kuro Coiler or Coil-Master, then it gets even easier. Now, getting them mounted, wicked, and working properly could be a different story but like all things, practice makes perfect. I'm no pro, by any means, but I bet I could install a fresh coil before you could get to the store and back with a new one.

The few dollars savings per month is not really a good point either ... when truth be told we also continue to purchase shinyitus items and accessories anyway.
It's not necessarily about the cost, because you're right that I'm just going to spend that money on something else anyway. It is disposable income, after all. But what I spend it on, doesn't necessarily have to be disposable. I'd just spend it on something that I'll get to keep around and enjoy for a while, rather than something I'm just going to throw out in a week. Plus, there's the whole issue of availability. What are you going to do a year from now, when the manufacturer stops producing your favorite coils for your favorite tank? What about in two years, when the FDA pulls everything but the BT cig-a-likes off the market? Me, I'll just wrap up a new one like I been doing. As you said yourself, to each his own, but even if you prefer the factory coils, and continue to use them as long as they're available, having a nice rebuildable, and the skills and materials to make it work right, could be a handy "insurance policy" to have in case the worst does eventually happen.

Same goes for mech mods. You might not prefer them, they might not be your "style." But everybody should at least have one, learn how to use it safely, and then even if you shove it in a box in the back of your closet and forget about it, you'll still have something functional once your last regulated mod kicks the bucket and you can't buy new ones anymore thanks to FDA's "regulations."

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Of course, everyone that tries something they have not used before. Sometines that buyers remorse is short lived until they learn how to use it.

In my case the buyers remorse over The Lemo2, Aqua V2, Bellus, etc were permanet the devices leaked ejuice all over me.

I think Ir would be better to ask this question after using the new devices for a week or two. Because that buyers remorse may only be temporary.

The greatest Atty that leaps to mind is the Goblin Mini. Most newbies with the GMini can't stand it because of leaking issues because i have explained how to properly wick the Atty to more than a few.

Tight wick(s) but able to slide. Leave the tails long enough to reach the bottom of the deck.

Proper wicking solved the leaking issues permanetly.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Wrapping coils is easy, it only takes a few minutes. If you have a jig or coiling tool like the Kuro Coiler or Coil-Master, then it gets even easier. Now, getting them mounted, wicked, and working properly could be a different story but like all things, practice makes perfect. I'm no pro, by any means, but I bet I could install a fresh coil before you could get to the store and back with a new one.

It's not necessarily about the cost, because you're right that I'm just going to spend that money on something else anyway. It is disposable income, after all. But what I spend it on, doesn't necessarily have to be disposable. I'd just spend it on something that I'll get to keep around and enjoy for a while, rather than something I'm just going to throw out in a week. Plus, there's the whole issue of availability. What are you going to do a year from now, when the manufacturer stops producing your favorite coils for your favorite tank? What about in two years, when the FDA pulls everything but the BT cig-a-likes off the market? Me, I'll just wrap up a new one like I been doing. As you said yourself, to each his own, but even if you prefer the factory coils, and continue to use them as long as they're available, having a nice rebuildable, and the skills and materials to make it work right, could be a handy "insurance policy" to have in case the worst does eventually happen.

Same goes for mech mods. You might not prefer them, they might not be your "style." But everybody should at least have one, learn how to use it safely, and then even if you shove it in a box in the back of your closet and forget about it, you'll still have something functional once your last regulated mod kicks the bucket and you can't buy new ones anymore thanks to FDA's "regulations."
...back on-topic, though, yeah, I have suffered buyer's remorse a couple times. The first rebuildable device I bought was a Magma dripper clone from FastTech, about a year ago, because everyone raved about the flavor it produced. Well, they were right. Every juice I put through it, with every build I put in it, has plenty of flavor. Nasty, metallic flavor, that overpowers whatever juice I put in there. Maybe it's because I picked a cheap Chinese clone, I don't know, because I can put the same build in something else and it will taste just fine.

Later, I decided I wanted a rebuildable sub-ohm tank. But instead of buying a "proper" rebuildable tank, I ended up getting a Kanger Subtank Mini, with the little removable "RBA" section, instead. Why? Hype, I guess. Everybody loved them when they first came out, and I had wanted to get my hands on one ever since. But by the time I actually got around to grabbing one, they were old news. I should have kept more current and bought something that was newer and better, but once I decided that I wanted it, I kind of stopped paying attention to what else was coming out. Looking back, I probably could have done without either of those purchases. They are probaby my two least-used pieces of gear, and spend most of their time sitting unused on my shelf.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

Between my three attys in rotation i only build 6-8 coils a year.

I can gently remove the wick Dry burn the coil and install a new wick and I am back to vaping in two minutes

Wrapping a new coil, adding the wick, juicing the wick and I am vaping in 5-6 minutes.

I don't rebuild just to save money. Three fingers on my left hand NO longer work. It would be easier if i do not rebuuld.

But my ability to build to the resistance that gives me better flavor. My consistent wicking gives me a consistent vape that i simply ca not get from premade coils. So i gladly rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread