B&W Cactus 3b.jpg
Administered by Kathi17

Last edited:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Just popping in to help with this contest.

CactusESmokes Mid Winter Contest

This is your chance to win your choice of either an EHPro Manhattan, or an Aspire Atlantis.

1419964876865-2061840753.jpeg
1418150425258908196697.jpeg

The contest will end at Midnight PST on Sunday, February 1, 2015. Winner will be chosen by Random.org on Monday, February 2, at 9:00 am EST and will be notified by pm, and listed here.

The rules are simple

1. Post questions and answers about vaping. It can be anything from equipment, to DIY. This is your chance to ask questions you may have, and for others to answer with their experiences. You can also share your experiences about your equipment or DIY. If you have a product you really like, let us know!

2. Please date and number your posts so you can keep track of how many times you have entered per day.

3. In order to keep this contest helpful and interesting, you can enter five times per day. Chit chat is allowed, but after your five posts per day, it will not count toward the win.

4. Just have fun!

CactusEsmokes Mechanicals & More

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
1/26 #1

I got a question...

With a modern regulated PV, you can vape at about any wattage you want. Sub-ohm vaping was conceived to get to higher wattage with fixed voltage mech mods. So, what, in your opinion, is the advantage to vaping at any given wattage with sub-ohm coils vs. the same wattage at higher resistance?

Last edited:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
1/26 #1

I got a question...

With a modern regulated PV, you can vape at about any wattage you want. Sub-ohm vaping was conceived to get to higher wattage with fixed voltage mech mods. So, what, in your opinion, is the advantage to vaping at any given wattage with sub-ohm coils vs. the same wattage at higher resistance?

1/26 #1 Not an entry

It's funny that you should ask that. The last thing I read last night was a long but good explanation of why you don't need sub ohms on the newer regulated devices.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-vaping-discussion/611315-my-thoughts-about-sub-ohm-latest-vv-vw-devices.html#post14317506

It's long, but it's a really good read.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
It's funny that you should ask that. The last thing I read last night was a long but good explanation of why you don't need sub ohms on the newer regulated devices.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-vaping-discussion/611315-my-thoughts-about-sub-ohm-latest-vv-vw-devices.html#post14317506

It's long, but it's a really good read.
1/26 #2

I've read it, understand most of it, and agree with ru's opinion. I can't make a judgement on the quality of his science, but ru certainly lays it all out there.

I hope more folks read it. I'm thinkin' this fad toward more readily available sub-ohm cartos is the wrong direction. But whatever sells, rules, I guess. Waddo I know?

Last edited:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
12/26 #1
Who wants to share a good sweet strawberry recipe

12/26 #2 do not count

I'm on a DIY thread where they recommend using a higher percentage of your fruit flavor, then a small amount of a cream, a vanilla and a tiny bit of sweetener to any fruit to enhance it's flavor. Adjust the flavors to suit your taste.

At the moment, I don't have a recipe I've made, but hopefully this is a starting point for you.

Slowone2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Virginia

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
1/26 #1

1/26 #2

I've read it, understand most of it, and agree with ru's opinion. I can't make a judgement on the quality of his science, but ru certainly lays it all out there.

I hope more folks read it. I'm thinkin' this fad toward more readily available sub-ohm cartos is the wrong direction. But whatever sells, rules, I guess. Waddo I know?

You are quite correct in that sub-ohm cartos are a fad, and the wrong direction.
They sell because more is always better, no matter what, right? ..:facepalm:

Even with the new high powered regulated mods there are limits, the regulation has maximum voltages and amperage that the electronics can produce. With those limits, to attain the 50-100 watts, low resistance is necessary, not for a better vape but just to be able to say you're using 75 watts.....:facepalm:

I've always found the balance between heat (power - voltage - amperage - watts) combined with eliquid flow and air flow produces the best results, even clouds if that is your thing. If any one leg of the three legged stool is longer or shorter you fall on your *** ...:laugh:

For me around 10 watts (sometimes as high as 15) can produce enough cloud that my girl friend complains (not my happy place) so long as the eliquid is introduced just fast enough so there's no dry hits or gurgling. The air flow needs to cool my coil, but not so much that vapor production suffers. With what is currently considered low power, you can provide the heat necessary with a simple coil design, properly placed.

CountBoredom

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
San Diego, CA, USA
1/26 #1
You are quite correct in that sub-ohm cartos are a fad, and the wrong direction.

Is that why we're competing for (potentially) an Aspire Atlantis? :laugh:

In theory, I agree with you and the OP of the article: it should not make a difference. However, I have not tried sub-ohming/high-powering my vape, so I cannot speak from experience. Of course, it was this kind of thinking that led me to try smoking.... :facepalm:

PS. Congratulations on becoming a contest helper Kathi! Good luck! :D

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
1/26 #2

1/26 #1

Is that why we're competing for (potentially) an Aspire Atlantis? :laugh:

In theory, I agree with you and the OP of the article: it should not make a difference. However, I have not tried sub-ohming/high-powering my vape, so I cannot speak from experience. Of course, it was this kind of thinking that led me to try smoking.... :facepalm:

PS. Congratulations on becoming a contest helper Kathi! Good luck! :D

The Aspire Atlantis fits a niche, the ability to provide higher wattage on a device that cannot provide a sufficiently high voltage. I haven't tried one but the limiting factor is how efficiently the tank can provide eliquid without flooding, and enough air flow to cool the coils. No matter the device, you can't run from providing the balance necessary or the three legged stool falls over....:laugh:

I've tried, sub-ohming, double, triple, four-ple coils, low ohms, lots of metal to heat up, and hold the heat. The differences in vape quality does not support the difficulty necessary to produce it. Many sub-ohmers point to the fact that they are able to reduce the strength of their eliquid to 3 mg. What they forget is if you vape 10 mL of 3 mg juice, it's no different that vaping 2mL of 15 mg juice, exact same amount of nicotine....:laugh:

I rode the wave of the first dual coil cartomizers, now there was a fad. I still have a couple in the cellophane, they burnt the filler no end, couldn't keep up to the rate of vaporization. At the time, real (or safe) high power mods were not available, just trying to drive the coils to produce vapor made a lot of mods and batteries into paperweights. The vaping community learned a lot about the amperage limitations of our batteries, voltage sag if the amps were more than the battery could provide. And more often that the display on a mod, or promised voltage in the ads were not always what was being provided to the carto at the 510 connector.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
1/26 #3 Do not count

I just wanted to talk about my three favorite toppers, the Kanger Subtank, the Lemo and the Orchid, and why they work for me. Of course, what works for me, might not be what works for you. :)

The Subtank is great because it has a glass tank, so you don't have to worry about tank cracking juices. It has a platform for building your own, or, if you are pressed for time, just put one of their prebuilt coils in it, they last a long time. It also holds a massive amount of juice, so you can vape all day. I haven't had any leaking as long as I keep it upright, and the airflow is easy to control. I've had excellent flavor and vapor on mine. It's also extremely easy to fill.

The Lemo also has a glass tank, and holds a lot of juice. It's easy to build on, doesn't leak, and has great flavor and vapor. I love that the plastic plug thing works so well, so you can take the fill screw out, replace it with the plug, and fill it without using any tools! So far, my plug hasn't leaked.

The Orchid is almost as good as the other two because it doesn't leak either, it also has excellent flavor and vapor, and is easy to build. The only thing that keeps me from liking it as much as the others is the Plastic tank, and the fact that it takes a little longer to fill because you have to do it slowly. It must have something to do with the air pressure. Each time you drip into it, the juice needs to settle before you can add more. It also needs to be filled more often. Other than that, I do love my Orchid.

I bought them all from Cactus.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
01-26 #1.
Can someone tell if you can get replacement grommets for protank and protank style coils? I have a ton, well maybe half a ton, of older coils with the rubber grommets and want to replace them. Thanks for the help.
Oh, BTW, thanks for the contest Bruce and to helper kathi17.

Yeah, you can, I just read it this morning in another thread. I went back and tried rereading the threads where I thought I saw it, but I can't find it now. If I do find it, I'll let you know. Hopefully, someone will chime in here.

a wandering soul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
North Carolina
1/26 #1

I got a question...

1/26

i think it really boils down to surface area of the coil. since newer apvs can boost watts no matter the ohms of the coil, the next factor is the surface area of the coil itself. larger surface area can allow better airflow and more flavor. and obviously, the higher the ohms, the more wraps you have on the coil allowing greater surface area for the wick/juice.

sub ohming could become a way of the past... but then again.. there are still reasons to keep mechanicals and sub ohming around. if/when regulation comes, mechanicals are so easy that someone who was so inclined could build one themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread