calculating ohms law

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznsamurai82

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
United States
As I almost finish understanding the terms volts,watts,amps,and ohms...how do I use the online calculator and what is my objective exactly? Do I have to figure out how low my ohms can be? For example I put in a Panasonic 18650 imr battery that's has a maximum of 4.2 volts and has 2250mah and I put it in the calculator and I get 1.8 ohms. What does the 1.8 mean exactly? Does it mean I that's the lowest I can go without shorting out the battery?

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
4.2 is the highest voltage your battery will be after a complete charge. Your goal in finding the ohms is to get the resistance of the atomizer you're using. To my knowledge, this cannot be done using a calculator. You'll need to use a multimeter to physically test the resistance of the device you're working with. Knowing the resistance enables you to make an informed decision as to the highest voltage/wattage setting you can go to without "popping" the coil or doing something else to damage the device. The following chart has some good information as to where you shouldn't be in terms of voltage/wattage (wattage is commonly referred to as power):

Ohn8o.png

With respect to the chart above, you can start anywhere from the blues and make your way up, but you should be wary of entering the purples, and when going into the reds and maroons, you need to be as careful as possible so as to prevent any damage.

Edit: To help you better understand, mAh has absolutely nothing to do with much of anything other than telling you approximately how long your battery will last.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I don't quite understand your question. An ohms law calculator has nothing to do with what battery you are using. Do you mean a "C" rating calculator?

With an ohms law calculator you plug in any two of the factors (say ohms & volts) and it will tell you the other two factors of ohms law. (amps & watts)
    Ohm's Law Calculator

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    what device are you using? ego? vamo? what?

skip the charts and calculators with a variable volt device, and make it easy on your self.

use the +2V rule
    You have a clearomizer, it has a 2 ohm head. so 2 ohms +2 = 4 - so set the device to around 4 volts (3.7 to 4.2) start a little lower then 4 and go up - adjust for taste.
    works every time, for any resistance.

Last edited:

Vault

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Wellingborough,Northants,UK
    If you want to (or can (maybe an Ego? ) ) vape at 4.4v then go for a 2.4 head.

Personally for me the best alround resistance for my unregulated Ego`s and the Vamo is around 2.0ohm but I always rewire my devices first and check resistance.
    An unregulated ego will start at 4.2v and run down (much the same as a mech mod) the Vamo of course is adjustable but I like to give batteries an easy life :)

As a rule of thumb any resistance plus two volts will give you 8 watts. For some juices and devices that is the upper limit before tasteing burnt but it works fine for my tobacco flavours (and other strong juices) but might be worth dropping a few points of voltage for softer "Fruit" or "desert" flavours.

Edit: having said that I have an Evod I`ve wired to 1.7ohm and it tastes great on a fresh charged Ego at 4.2v which "theoretically" puts it in the burn zone! But being a bottom feeder it runs in juice and lessens the risk of dry hits.
    Depends on wicking as well it seems :)

Last edited:

bhswmc01

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 9, 2013
    Boise, Idaho, United States
    Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    with a regular old ego i would get 1.8 ohms so they work for a longer time before the vapor drops off.

The +2 rule seems to nudge at the higher end of the chart. I normally set my vv devices at 3.8 - 4.2. That being said, should I be getting the 1.8 or 2.4 heads? Originally, I was leaning towards the 2.4, but now I'm second guessing myself.

its not a hard rule it always gives you the general starting area. even like your saying - 1.8 and 2.4, is right around 4 v

and the idea behind VV is so you dont have to worry should i get 1.8 or 2.4. you can always change the voltage to fit whats needed. personally i like the 1.8 to 2 ohm range. but if need be i will use whatever is available and just turn up the voltage

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    The higher the resistance, the lesser the amps (current) and watts (power) using the same voltage. So, a fixed voltage ego is going to last longer with a higher resistance coil. In reading through, some of the threads, this seemed to get a little confusing. If you want longer battery life, use a higher resistance coil, which uses less power. So, a higher resistance uses less amps to achieve the same power. Less amps means longer battery life as battery life is measured in mAh (milliamp hours). Here is a good primer on Ohm's law and vaping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc90pdATEM0

Here is a good calculator:

Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

Using these two tools, you can understand and easily calculate each of these variables and a few exercises will clear up the issue for you. It's not so important to understand the precise technical meanings of each of these terms, but, rather, to understand their relationship with each other.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread