Caliburn G and coil life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zugster

Dec 17, 2020
Hi all,

I'm coming off a 2 pack a day smoking habit and have been vaping for about 3 weeks now.

I purchased the Caliburn G as this device seems like one of the best for nicotine salts.

They said nicotine salts is the best way to get off smoking and its helped a lot so far.

I'm on 30ml nic salts per 100ml bottle and I've got my smoking down to 3-6 cigs a day.

My question pertains to coil life.

If I chain vape, will this affect coil life ? And to what degree will it affect it ?

I've had to change the coil every 5-6 days so far, but from what I've researched, it is because of my chain vaping habit.

Can the coil last about 8-10 days if I don't chain vape, or is this pushing it ?

Also, is it normal for the liquid in the pod to become a dark brown / black colour after a few days ?

Thanks,

Andy

VagueTraces

Dec 16, 2020
St. Louis
That liquid color brownish-black is an indicator that your coil is at its end. But you're getting good flavor at that time?

I've only been using my Caliburn G for about a week, but it is exclusively an on-the-go device. I'm measuring coil life by how many ml of salt I put through before needing a new one. Reading around the web, coil life can be problematic for some. Also, people are really liking the 1.0-ohm coils over the .8 coils. Chain vaping is hard on coils. I'd be happy with 5-6 days if my go-to device could swing it. I'm really enjoying the G, though.

So I'm a noob, too. I'm using the same method as you. I was at 2 packs/day and have dropped to no more than 3 cigs/day. You're doing fantastic. Not setting a hard quit date and naturally decreasing is definitely the way to go for me. When it happens, it happens.

I have several reviews on YouTube specifically addressing Caliburn G coil life if you search my name. In the Koko Prime you can get two weeks, but I'd say you probably start getting decreased flavor around day 7-10 on the 0.8 or 1.0 coils. The 1 ohm coils are better imo. I quit from 2.5 packs a day 5 months ago and the Caliburn series has been a lifesaver.

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
When I switched from sub-ohm tank mods using 6mg nicotine freebase liquid at >45 watts to the Caliburn, I purchased salt nic at 50mg - way too strong. The 25mg was better for me. As a smoker trying to quit, I would try the 50mg juice. When I first tried to quit smoking back in 2010, I started on 12mg freebase juice and found that I still needed four to six cigarettes a day. I switched to a higher nicotine juice (>25mg) and that ended my desire to smoke. Over the next several years I worked my way down to 6mg. I'm confident that process will work for pod systems.

In regards to chain vaping, I found a posting on this forum several years ago that said your body craves a certain level of nicotine to curb the desire. If chain vaping eliminates or reduces your desire to smoke - then I say vape as often as necessary to stop the cigarettes.

I started smoking while in the service and smoked for almost 30 years. It took me about a year to completely stop smoking. As a member of several veteran organizations, I am always around smokers but I can honestly say that I have absolutely no desire to smoke. Be patient - success is at hand.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If I chain vape, will this affect coil life ? And to what degree will it affect it ?

Yes. The degree will be negative. The more you push the coil the less life the wick will have. JMHO. But you gotta do what you gotta do to quit smoking.

I've had to change the coil every 5-6 days so far, but from what I've researched, it is because of my chain vaping habit.
    Can the coil last about 8-10 days if I don't chain vape, or is this pushing it ?

Yes, and possibly longer. Coil/wick life is also affected by:
    • the thickness of the juice,
    • the darkness of the juice,
    • the sweetness of the juice and possibly
    • the strength of nicotine in the juice.

Also, is it normal for the liquid in the pod to become a dark brown / black colour after a few days ?

Yes, it is possible. Not only does the oxidizing nicotine become darker but if you are chain vaping your wick may be getting a bit dry, burning the cotton wick little by little with ever chain vaping session, and that carbon from the burnt wick is discoloring the juice.

How to reduce chain vaping...

If your chain vaping habit has to do with the fact that you are addicted to the hand-to-mouth habit of smoking/vaping, then this will be a tough habit to reduce (but you can do it).

On the other hand if you're chain vaping because you aren't getting enough nicotine then increasing your nicotine strength in your juice could reduce your chain vaping.

Bobby1

Mar 15, 2021
    So I've been vaping using the 1.0ohm with nasty juice mango banana 6mg ejuice. Sometime during the 2nd day I got a really bad burnt taste in my mouth (I'm thinking here we go again). Also the thing is I know I'm about to get a dry hit the device doesn't burple while I'm timing and it's a really powerful hit as if there is no resistance. The sound is obviously different as well. I'm guessing the coil isn't wicking properly or something is going on. I feel like I'm the only one with those issue. Any feedback would help guys.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So I've been vaping using the 1.0ohm with nasty juice mango banana 6mg ejuice. Sometime during the 2nd day I got a really bad burnt taste in my mouth (I'm thinking here we go again). Also the thing is I know I'm about to get a dry hit the device doesn't burple while I'm timing and it's a really powerful hit as if there is no resistance. The sound is obviously different as well. I'm guessing the coil isn't wicking properly or something is going on. I feel like I'm the only one with those issue. Any feedback would help guys.

Ditch the caliburn and go with a better pod system like the Innokin Kroma-Z, which takes the Z-coil which lots of people love.

Or if you want a mod/tank system go with the Innokin Kroma-R mod and Zlide tank ( this tank takes the same coils as the Kroma-Z)

Reactions: Falconeer

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    It sounds like you are burning out your coil, which can happen quickly with sweet juices like premixed. Usually sweeteners are added which gunk up the coils. Also if you are chain vaping, this can shorten the life of the coil. Higher wattage can too. As @UncleJunkle mentioned, the Innokin products are a better quality and will give you better performance. If you are chain vaping, consider a sub-ohm tank and mod rather than a pod system.

Bobby1

Mar 15, 2021
    Ditch the caliburn and go with a better pod system like the Innokin Kroma-Z, which takes the Z-coil which lots of people love.

Or if you want a mod/tank system go with the Innokin Kroma-R mod and Zlide tank ( this tank takes the same coils as the Kroma-Z)
    I will look into the kroma z. Definitely need a pod system not a tank. Thank you .

Bobby1

Mar 15, 2021
    It sounds like you are burning out your coil, which can happen quickly with sweet juices like premixed. Usually sweeteners are added which gunk up the coils. Also if you are chain vaping, this can shorten the life of the coil. Higher wattage can too. As @UncleJunkle mentioned, the Innokin products are a better quality and will give you better performance. If you are chain vaping, consider a sub-ohm tank and mod rather than a pod system.
    What is considered chain vaping ? It's not like I'm sitting there for hours smoking hours on end. Not every juice I've tried is burnt after the second day. I have keep it 100 3mg and there's almost no problem with that one but two days? Really? The coil should last 2 days even if I was chain vaping . I also notice this is a recurring issue with mint juices. Only the mint juices are giving me major problems. Is it the mint? Is it the amount of nicotine? A combination of both ?

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    What is considered chain vaping ? It's not like I'm sitting there for hours smoking hours on end. Not every juice I've tried is burnt after the second day. I have keep it 100 3mg and there's almost no problem with that one but two days? Really? The coil should last 2 days even if I was chain vaping . I also notice this is a recurring issue with mint juices. Only the mint juices are giving me major problems. Is it the mint? Is it the amount of nicotine? A combination of both ?

It's most likely sweeteners in the mint ejuice, the nicotine won't affect the coils at all. What did you mean by the100 before the 3mg? What wattage are you vaping at? How long have you been off cigarettes/tobacco and how much did you smoke? Are you using 6mg/ml or 3mg/ml? Sorry for all the questions, but it will better help me to help you.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

3mg is low so it's not that.

I don't know about mint, but I have been vaping peppermint for years and my peppermint is not coil killer.

Sweet and dark juice kill coils and the smaller the coil the faster it will be killed by dark and sweet juices.

Also higher VG juices are thicker and may not wick as quickly with a factory coil head like a Caliburn. So that could cause you to burn your wick, causing coil life to suffer. I consider anything that is higher than 60% VG to be a high VG juice. But I'm a 50/50 vaper and I bet high VG vapers would disagree with me :lol:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas

I don't know about mint, but I have been vaping peppermint for years and my peppermint is not coil killer.

Sweet and dark juice kill coils and the smaller the coil the faster it will be killed by dark and sweet juices.

Also higher VG juices are thicker and may not wick as quickly with a factory coil head like a Caliburn. So that could cause you to burn your wick, causing coil life to suffer. I consider anything that is higher than 60% VG to be a high VG juice. But I'm a 50/50 vaper and I bet high VG vapers would disagree with me :lol:

Yes, I disagree about the VG. It doesn't really kill the coils. Yeah it's thicker, but it wicks and doesn't gunk up the coils like sweeteners do. Well, maybe a little, but not that much. I vape at 30/70 and don't have to rewick or recoil that often. I doubt it's the mint per se, but I bet the mint juice has a lot of added sweetener. You DIY your own juice, without added sweetener.

Bobby1

Mar 15, 2021
    It's most likely sweeteners in the mint ejuice, the nicotine won't affect the coils at all. What did you mean by the100 before the 3mg? What wattage are you vaping at? How long have you been off cigarettes/tobacco and how much did you smoke? Are you using 6mg/ml or 3mg/ml? Sorry for all the questions, but it will better help me to help you.
    No I like the questions keep em coming. Sorry I meant keep it 100 (it's a brand) and it's 3mg nicotine that seems to be smoking fine. I used to smoke maybe half a pack a day. I've been off smoking cigarettes a while although I picked up recently only 2 a day tho.

Bobby1

Mar 15, 2021

Tbh I think that's the issue . The ratio of 70/30 . These coils aren't wicking 70/30 properly. I smoked 50/50 no issue . Problem is I hate 50/50 prefer 70/30 over 50/50 but was also told this device is capable of vaping 70/30

Bobby1

Mar 15, 2021
    Yes, I disagree about the VG. It doesn't really kill the coils. Yeah it's thicker, but it wicks and doesn't gunk up the coils like sweeteners do. Well, maybe a little, but not that much. I vape at 30/70 and don't have to rewick or recoil that often. I doubt it's the mint per se, but I bet the mint juice has a lot of added sweetener. You DIY your own juice, without added sweetener.
    To answer your previous question it's whatever wattage the caliburn g is set to. I believe it's 15w? Do you guys have a caliburn g?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You DIY your own juice, without added sweetener.

Well before that I used to buy it premade from heartland. But I have no idea if they added sweeter or anything else. I'm convinced it was TFA peppermint, but there's something missing in mine that makes it not 100% the same. But it could be they just used more flavor.

Yes, I disagree about the VG. It doesn't really kill the coils...Well, maybe a little, but not that much.

But the thing is, this is a small coil. I know my protank coils get gunked up and out of commission before my larger coil heads do. It's because they are small so a little bit of gunk causes problems faster than other larger coil heads, therefore, burnt taste faster and coil life is shorter. Those caliburn G coils housings are only 10mm wide. Inside where the coil/wick is is probably only 7mm at the most (protank is 5mm).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread