Call to Action - Ontario Vapers need to read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nascar_Perry

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place or posting this out of line, but I thought Canadians & Ontarians needed to be aware of what is happening and in progress in Toronto.

http:// app.toronto . ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.HL33.1

https:// www . facebook . com/groups/1467554123529765/permalink/1475843326034178/

This article is of serious concern to myself and a lot of other vapers already and is something we need to address as a community. Take the time to carefully read over both posted links, on the first one, the majority of the information is in "Board of Health consideration on August 18, 2014"

As a community, we need to come up with a plan of action to show our solidarity and to tell our representatives, both municipal and provincial that what we do is "not smoking" and as such, not to ban it. If this act comes into effect, the Electronic Cigarette will be treated like a common analog, including where you can buy it, the ability for retailers to display to you what they have and much more.

I understand that the government is worried about minors accessing these devices, again we must show the government that responsible businesses that operate, such as those on this very forum, do not ever sell these products to minors.

In closing, acts and regulations like these, while they may not seem as heavy as an all out ban, can be the beginning steps towards something much more. Contact your local, provincial and federal representatives, and tell them not to do this. Let's all join together and provide them with the information they "claim" is unavailable and show them that we have a voice.

Remember, Municipal Elections are currently underway in Ontario, ask your candidates what there stand is, now is the time we can also put our voice forward and say where we will cast our vote. We have to try right?

Federal Elections will be next year, contact your MPs and candidates and make them aware that you are citizens with the right to enjoy an alternative to analog and a nasty way of life you used to know.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Received this is from the Toronto Board of Health where I made a deputation with other vapers to no avail

Good Afternoon,

The following decision is sent to you for your information.

City Council adopted the following on August 25, 26, 27 and 28, 2014:

1. City Council prohibit e-cigarette use from City of Toronto workplaces, and recommend the same to the City's Agencies and Corporations.

2. City Council request the General Manager, Solid Waste Management to explore the environmentally sound disposal of e-cigarettes and batteries.

On August 18, 2014 the Toronto Board of Health also adopted the following:

1. Endorsed Toronto Public Health's public Position Statement on Electronic Cigarettes included in Attachment 1 of the report (August 1, 2014) from the Medical Officer of Health;

2. Recommended that the Ontario Minister of Health and Long-Term Care amend the Smoke-Free Ontario Act and Regulations to:

a. prohibit e-cigarette use wherever smoking is prohibited;
b. prohibit sales of youth-targeted flavoured e-cigarette products; and
c. prohibit e-cigarette displays in retail stores and restrict sales of e-cigarettes to minors.

3. If the provincial government has not acted to regulate e-cigarettes within six months, requested the Medical Officer of Health to report in consultation with the City Solicitor and other municipal officials as appropriate, on municipal regulation to prohibit e-cigarette use in Toronto wherever smoking is currently prohibited under local or provincial legislation;

4. Requested the Medical Officer of Health to work in the interim with the City Manager to explore development of an administrative policy prohibiting e-cigarette use in the workplace;

5. Requested the Medical Officer of Health to enhance current public education and outreach efforts by Toronto Public Health on potential health impacts to users and those exposed to the vapour from e-cigarettes.

6. Requested the Medical Officer of Health to report to the Board of Health in February 2015 on the following motion by Councillor Cho:

"That the Board of Health recommend to the Provincial Government that e-cigarettes becomes a product available only at licensed drug stores, subject to normal regulatory approvals."

7. Recommended the Federal Minister of Health amend federal legislation to:

a. regulate all e-cigarettes, cartridges and liquids to ensure manufacturing consistency and accurate labelling;
b. regulate the maximum quantity/dosage of nicotine in e-cigarettes;
c. require that e-cigarette liquids are sold in child-proof bottles; and
d. restrict e-cigarette marketing, advertising and promotion, consistent with existing tobacco legislation; and
e. develop, as appropriate, a regulatory framework for the possible sale of e-cigarettes as part of a tobacco smoking cessation strategy.

8. Requested Health Canada:

a. to enforce current prohibitions on e-cigarettes making a health claim without appropriate assessment, evaluation and market authorization; and
b. to monitor research on adverse health effects of e-cigarette use and second-hand exposure; and
c. to conduct research on the effectiveness of e-cigarettes as a smoking cessation or replacement aid.

9. Forwarded the report (August 1, 2014) from the Medical Officer of Health to the four Toronto School Boards, Toronto's Universities and Colleges and Toronto Hospitals to encourage them to adopt policies prohibiting e-cigarette use on all indoor/outdoor property;

10. Forwarded the report to the Ontario Restaurant Hotel and Motel Association and Toronto Association of Business Improvement Areas to encourage them to encourage their members to develop in-house policies to address e-cigarette use on their property;

11. Forwarded the report (August 1, 2014) from the Medical Officer of Health for information to the Parks and Environment Committee; and

12. Forwarded the report (August 1, 2014) from the Medical Officer of Health for information to the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards Division; General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division; the Federation of Canadian Municipalities; the Minister of Health and Long Term Care; the Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health; and Public Health Ontario.

To view this item and background information online, please visit:

Agenda Item History - 2014.HL33.1

Sincerely,

Nancy Martins
Committee Administrator
City Clerk's Office
tel: 416-397-4579
e-mail: boh@toronto.ca
TMMIS - Toronto Meeting Management Information System ™

Happyme2014

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Toronto, Canada
People, from what I understand, from now on, if I want to puff my ecig I have to hang out and inhale all the smoke coming from the real smokers. I quit so I won't have smoke in my lungs, now they throw me next to smokers. Gosh, that's smart. Same laws for smokers as for vapers. Maybe I should just pick up the ciggies again.

vexxis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Sydney & Puerto Plata
It's so bizarre that all that comes to mind is sarcasm: Seems an oversight that they aren't addressing the NICORETTE® Inhalator or NICORETTE® QuickMist products as I fail to see any "health" difference (all the nicotine inhaled will not be absorbed) with the exception of e-cigarettes producing visible vapour (that disperses much quicker than cigarette smoke). These products do exactly the same thing without the visible water vapour so they may be the less visible and more serious hazard.

If we want to go to extremes (and they seem to be doing so), someone having an Asthma attack had better take it outside (shouldn't matter if they can't make it and collapse on the way, rules are rules) also so we don't have to breath the residual salbutamol (Ventolin®, Apo-Salvent®, Novo Salmol®, Gen-salbutamol®, Alti-Salbutamol®, Airomir®) released into the air after using their inhaler.

Nascar_Perry

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I did write the Premier to request a meeting.... I had to try it just to see the response. The response was as I suspected. "The Premier's schedule does not allow her time to meet with you but thank you for taking the time to write..." oh well, it was worth a shot at least.

I did find some news clippings that shed some positive on this. The provincial and federal health ministers have decided against an out right ban on the ecig stating they want to make absolutely sure all research is taken to study the ecig as an effective cessation device. Not sure what to think here yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread