Calling all protank/evod coil rebuilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadOtis

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
Hello all,

Let me preface by saying, I've only rebuilt a grand total of 3 coils. 2 work fantastic, the 3rd: not so much. I know I've had to do something wrong, but I haven't a clue what. The 3rd coil I used the same materials, wire, wick, etc as I used on the first two coils; however, the 3rd coil vaped fine for a couple of hours, then suddenly (literally, 1 vape it was fine, the next it wasn't) it started flooding like hurricane Sandy did when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor! Literally, it was like drinking from a soda straw! I got a nice mouthful of e-liquid and had to pull over (I was driving) before I had a fit of vehicular-interior-decoration.

I looked at the coil/head when I got home, and nothing seems out of the ordinary: coil looks fine and not burnt, wick looks all white with no charring, silicone seal is intact and in-place, openings look identical to a factory coil/head. So, I'm at a loss.

Any of you re-coiling veterans out there have any clue what I may have done wrong? Or how to prevent it after rebuilding in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Chas F.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2013
Colorado
Thinner juices flow along the wick better than the thicker ones and can cause flooding. Compare it to one of the other wicks you built and REALLY look at it for differences. ie, type of juice, thickness of wick, length of wick, flavor wick length and thickness. Is the stem of the head seated all of the way down on the head? Is the tank as full as the other ones?

There has to be a difference in the coils. :vapor:

MadOtis

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
The juice is actually a little thicker than the other juice; it was a 50/50 juice (compared to an 80/20 juice in one tank, and a 50/50 in another, both with my first two coils).

Does about 30-45 seconds between hits count as chain-vaping? If so, that could be the reason. I'm not allowed to vape at work (I know, I need a new job that allows vaping), so I may have hit it a little harder on the ride home.

My gear is a Vamo v3 set to 5.5 watts on a 1.3ohm coil around 3mm silica and no flavor wick.

Last edited:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The only reason I could even guess at from your description, is that you possibly may have pulled the center of the coil down slightly when you set it in the cup. Doesn't sound like much, but with a bit of a dip at the center, a drop can start a dribble...

MadOtis

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
The only reason I could even guess at from your description, is that you possibly may have pulled the center of the coil down slightly when you set it in the cup. Doesn't sound like much, but with a bit of a dip at the center, a drop can start a dribble...

BINGO! Now that dinner is over, I just took the coil apart and it does look like it has a dip in the middle. Next time, I'll leave the straight-pin inserted until after the grommet and center plug is inserted to help ensure the coil stays level.

Thanks for the help, I owe you an e-beer!

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
the quest goes on for the perfect evod/pro tank vape !!
I gave em up, and use rba's and rda's now.. I can control the situation a little more..
They will give you good practice though..

Yes! I think that I'm getting a lot of practice rebuilding my Protanks before I step up to an RTA. Gotta practice before I get my Kayfun Lite . . . in like a million years when I can afford one. Oh, and there's that Nemesis I'd like to get too . . . practice, practice, practice. Save, save, save.

MadOtis

Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Georgia
UPDATE: ok, I found the REAL reason why it's flooding! ...And, I found it by accident.

Tonight, wife and I were heading to the store and we both had our mods with us. She has a factory head in her PT2, mine is a head I rebuilt on Sunday that's been flawless. Vaping fine until she rolled down a window (and since she won't read this, because she barked a major one!) and VIOLA! Both our tanks started flooding! Close the windows and they both stopped flooding. Vaped a few times normally, then I tried a test and rolled my window down and the levee broke again.

So, morale of the story: don't vape with your truck windows open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread