Can cartomizer threads damage stainless steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
So I did something silly today... I dropped my EA mod off the table and, with Murphy's Law in effect, it landed right on the cartomizer tank and BAM, the threads crossed right then and there; they crossed faster than the eyes of a kid just kicked by a mule. I took the tank off, and with careful prowess slowly removed the cartomizer. Close inspection shows there are no signs of damage to the EA Mod's threads, and that the cartomizer took all the beating (which is fine by me!). The EA Mod threads are stainless steel, while (I believe) the cartomizer threads are aluminum (I use Boge, by the way). So my question is, do you guys think there is any damage to my EA Mod's threads that I can't perceive? Cartomizers I don't care about, but I would hate to be using an expensive rebuildable only to damage the connector threads down the road.

If anything, this gives me motivation to buy the airflow controller I've been eyeing up. :p

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
I don't know specifically about the EA mod, but I've broken more than one atomizer off in my Provari and it's never shown signs of damage. One was a Boge carto in a J-Tank, snapped right off at the threads when it went flying onto a tile kitchen floor. I had to extract the threaded portion from the 510 connection but all was well. The other was a Vivi-nova tank that didn't actually snap off, but bent and cross-threaded in the connection. Same thing, zero damage that I've ever detected.

I think you'll be fine.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
The other was a Vivi-nova tank that didn't actually snap off, but bent and cross-threaded in the connection.

That's what happened with mine... I tested just about every atomizer and cartomizer I have on it, and they thread on smoothly. Except for my AGA-S, which doesn't thread onto anything with ease! haha

Are the connections on a Provari stainless steel?

This is why I wish my Galileo worked as well as the EA Mod... if the threads are ever damaged, you just replace the adapter.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Yes, stainless connection on the Provari.

Did you have pieces of the VN threads in the connector?

It wasn't a VN, it was a Boge cartomizer... there may have been some shavings from the cartomizer (the threads on that looked pretty FUBAR), but no big pieces. It cross threaded, and I just slowly screwed the pieces apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread