Can i strip the paint off ego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
Check out this video.. granted it isnt an eGo.. but im thinking in theory it should be the same.. plus this guys accent is a good watch regardless of the content...

YouTube - SteveMontuno's Channel

ive been thinking about doing this to one of my eGo batts... im thinking a stainless steel polish would be less.. well it would look less like i was doing something i shouldnt be...

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
Whats up guys. I was wondering if i could strip the black rubbery paint off the Tornado. Is it SS underneath? Whats the best way to get the pain off and polish it up?

Yes you can. I had a platinum Tornego and the finish gradually wore through in places and I just rubbed the rest off. Mostly by hand, but I did need a green scour pad for the tough bits. I did the cone and battery and now I have a shiny stainless steel unit. It looks sharp.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know about an eGo, but I am sure it would be the same as any other PV. My kid (who is taking machining in school) told me to use one of those Scotch Brite scrubbing pads - the green ones or the brown ones. It worked perfectly - very easy and quick. Use it dry and just rub. It takes it down to a nice semi-matte silver - looks like brushed nickle. If you want a bit more shine to it, I found that a fingernail buffing block does a nice job of polishing. Make sure you cover the battery threads (and hole on an auto batt) because the paint dust gets everywhere. Just wipe the whole thing down with a damp cloth when you're done buffing.

~A

Rev. Redmond Farrier

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2010
Georgia
If you go with the sandpaper, the route that seems best to me would be starting with somewhere around 150 grit and after the paint is gone progressively move up to 600+ grit followed by a buffing wheel on a dremel with some white rouge. It has been a few years since I did anything like that, so my starting grit may be a bit off and I am unsure about the name of the buffing paste though. I am sure someone here can take this lead and refine it. I brought a few home forged blades to a mirror finish as well as a silver ring I once made from an old quarter (from back when they were around 90% silver). I am not sure about the hardness of this material, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I used a razor blade to scrape off the majority of the black paint on one battery and cone.. and then I put a scrap carto on it...and put the carto in the chuck of an electric drill..held down the trigger on slow and held a extra fine grit 3M sanding sponge against it.. came out nice and shiny and smooth..

Heres a pic (both eGos were black at one point):
IMG_1699.jpg

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Very impressive Giulio! Although, it seems like a lot of effort for a battery which will only last a few months. Ah, sometimes the pleasure is in the doing.

RE: the original topic ... why not buy one which is already unpainted? I've got a couple. Can't say where I bought them frankly, but I've seen them offered by several venders.

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed the original post date was five months ago, and perhaps they weren't offered at that time. ??

Last edited:

Giulio

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2010
Italy
WOW giulio! those are gorgeous and I wanna try my artistic hand at it. what type of chisel/chisels did you use?

thanks tons
Debby

I use them.
It's not difficult, the first time you try on an old battery. First you do the pencil drawing on the battery and then begin to carve going over many times, clean everything after work with a soft rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread