Can i strip the paint off ego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofalls

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I use them.
It's not difficult, the first time you try on an old battery. First you do the pencil drawing on the battery and then begin to carve going over many times, clean everything after work with a soft rubber.
Giulio - in the states we call this tool a graver. It is used for engraving. Very nice work!

nofalls

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Tucson, AZ
You are welcome. I have a small tub of these tools and only the skill to use like two of them, with little skill. I have a thing for old time banjos from the early 1900's from Boston. My avatar is a banjo peg head from the Vega company, circa 1920's. That thing is a griffin in mother of pearl and the lines are engraved and filled with black laquer.

BenJammin

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Richmond Virginia, USA
I know it's an old thread, but others may still find it useful.
I highly recommend Drozd's method with sanding sponges. Haven't tried it on an eGo, but my 4081 batts sure looked spiffy once upon a time. Start at 150 grit to remove the paint. Then go with progressively finer sponges to remove the tiny scratches. I finish off with 0000 steel wool for a look that is almost "chromed." Be very careful though, if the wool catches it will spool up on the battery tightly and could wrench itself out of your hands... or worse, injure you. Alternatively, the drill technique does leave behind a nice brushed finish with sponges alone.

Another idea I just thought of is sanding film. You can usually find it in the paint section of an auto parts store or a hobby shop that caters to modelers. I've seen film as fine as 600 grit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread