Can I use a tank cartomizer without a tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

messie

Mar 29, 2013
usa
Relatively new vaper, over here!

I recently got a bunch of new flavors of liquid in the mail. I'm letting them steep, but I've been thinking about it, and when I start to use them, I think I'll want to test out a few of them on the first day before deciding to dedicate myself to a tankful of one. I have quite a stockpile of pre-punched cartomizers to use with my tank, so I could theoretically prime a couple of them with different flavors, but I'm not sure if there's some kind of danger with using a punched cartomizer WITHOUT a tank. Could this damage my cartomizers?

I think that I'll order some un-punched cartos the next time I order liquid, but for now, is it possible for me sample my stock without buying new gear?

Thanks!

gazzatron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Not a great way to test juices, it will be messy as it will leak from the holes, you will need a new carto for each flavour and it will swallow juice to get them primed if they are dual coil, invest in a dedicated dripping atty or just use a standard 510 atty with a drip tip for testing, 3 drops then a quick rinse then on on to the next flavour

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
atomizer-3.jpg atomizer.jpg

A good future investment to test out new flavors before commiting them to a cartomizer or cartotank would be a dripping atomizer as shown above. You drop a few drops onto the heating element in the metal cylinder, vape a few times, and then add a few more to continue vaping. You can change out to different flavors easily.

DiscountVapers.com_Vision_Nano.JPG

Another alternative to dripping would be getting a Nano clearomizer like above. These only have a 1 ml capacity, contain no polyfill like a cartomizer has to retain flavor, can be easily filled or emptied by removing the mouthpiece, and are re-usable. These come in both a 510 and 808 thread depending upon the battery device you use.

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Hi messie! Welcome to the forum!

In theory, yes - you can use it without a tank. It's going to be a bit messy, though, because juice will leak out of the holes when you're not vaping. It might also affect the airflow. You could possibly try covering the holes with some duct tape. Haven't tried it myself - just thinking aloud!

As you say, the thing with cartos is that you're going to have to prime the carto properly before use anyway. Assuming you've got the XL cartos, they'll take about 2ml of juice on the first fill. Given that you've already used that amount of juice, you might as well fill up (or half fill) a tank anyway. Generally speaking, it's actually not a bad idea to spend a bit of time with each juice as the taste can change quite dramatically the more you vape it.

In my opinion, the best (and most economical) way to test juices is using a 306 atmoizer. They don't cost much, you can change flavours quickly and easily, and a single atomizer will probably last about a month of daily usage before it needs replacing. Perhaps you could pick one up whilst the juices are steeping?

JJ

Mariss716

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
WA
Yup, get a dedicated dripping atomizer. A 306 is going to give you great taste and works on a 510 thread; I was going to give you the smart vapes link but they are OOS on 1.8 and 3 ohms. The Nanos as mentioned above are popular too. For those who are more advanced, there are now RBAs like the Phoenix that are rebuildables for dripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread