Can Nicotine go bad? What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n19htmare

Mar 7, 2013
CHULA VISTA
things to note: All flavoring is TFA from Wizard Labs, all mixes are 50/50 pg/vg.
I use eJuicemeup calculator.

I have some 60mg nic 100% VG from Wizard Labs that's now about 3 weeks old.

When I got my nic i made some simple stuff and it wasn't bad. 10ml amount, mix of strawberry-Kiwi with 5% flavoring of each and 6mg nic strength. It was good, smooth and had decent flavor. very vapor-able.

Today (3 weeks later) I made a simple peach 10ML amount. (again 6MG nic strength) 10% flavoring. no steep and OMG, It was the worst thing ever. bitter, harsh, burned the nostrils, just the worst thing i've ever tasted/felt. Keep in mind it's not the atty or coil, I know that much.

So I make the same batch again, this time I don't add the nic. just plain and it was smooth, peach taste was there etc. no problem vaping it. SO I add 1ml of 60mg strength to my 9ml mix (total of now 10ml) and again the worst vape in the world!

What is going on :(.

The nic had been stored at room temp for 3 weeks in the same dark bottle it came in.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Three weeks on a counter in the bottle it came in shouldn't cause a nic base to ruin. I spent a year using the same bottle of nic base which sat out at room temp and the last bottle of juice I made with it was exactly the same as the first. Nic base should be good for at least a year if not two kept in a cool dark place, and even then it just starts gradually losing potency.

Try upping your flavor ratio, peach is rather mild on it's own. I use TFA peach at 20%, as does one of my favorite e-juice makers.

Last edited:

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Try upping your flavor ratio, peach is rather mild on it's own. I use TFA peach at 20%, as does one of my favorite e-juice makers.

StormFinch is correct. Peach is a very subtle flavor and can be used at much higher concentrations than other flavors.

Also, I have found that ANY flavor I mix needs to sit for at least 24-36 hours before I even think about "test vaping" it. No matter what the flavor, no matter which supplier for nic I've used, if I vape DIY juice right when I make it, it tastes horrible. Shake the heck out of it, let it sit overnight, shake it in the morning, let it sit all day, then shake the heck out if it when you get home from work, and repeat for two or three days.

Almost ALL flavors benefit from sitting for a few days. You don't need to steep them with heat, or with the lids off--just shake them well and let them sit a few days to let the flavors "marry" and blend...

n19htmare

Mar 7, 2013
CHULA VISTA
definitely not burnt carto. I've many cartos, attys, clearomizers... a burnt carto is very easy to spot/taste/smell. This is definitely different.

I'll try steeping a few days.

Made another peach with 20% falvoring, so we shall see in a few days. Have a brand new DID rebuildable, Mini NOva, Vivi Nova.... I'm willing to try the flavor in all lol.

Last edited:

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
I have never heard of this and I am stupefied. My first bottle of nic I kept out at room temp for 3 months with minimal changes. I agree on the refrigeration method mentioned above. If all else fails contact the vendor as long as you are certain the calculations are accurate and same as you made before.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
If I understand you correctly, you say you've made recipes with this nic before that were fine. Your're new recipe tastes terrible - burning nostrils, etc, etc. The same recipe without nic tastes fine. . but as soon as you add nic it's horrible again.

I have had that same thing happen to me and I attribute it to shaking . .or lack thereof. Either you didn't shake your juice good enough and there's hotspots in it . .or your nic vendor didn't shake your nic base good enough and there's hotspots in *it*.

I would shake the crap out of your nic base . .mix again and shake the crap out of your juice as well . .and see how that tastes.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
If I understand you correctly, you say you've made recipes with this nic before that were fine. Your're new recipe tastes terrible - burning nostrils, etc, etc. The same recipe without nic tastes fine. . but as soon as you add nic it's horrible again.

I have had that same thing happen to me and I attribute it to shaking . .or lack thereof. Either you didn't shake your juice good enough and there's hotspots in it . .or your nic vendor didn't shake your nic base good enough and there's hotspots in *it*.

I would shake the crap out of your nic base . .mix again and shake the crap out of your juice as well . .and see how that tastes.

Puzzling problem, but I had the same opinion. VG nic base can be a bear to mix properly, and the OP may be getting high concentrations in their recent mixes.

I'd add warming the base up a bit in a hot water bath, to make the shaking more effective, preferably with decent headroom in the container.

n19htmare

Mar 7, 2013
CHULA VISTA
As others successfully suggested................. I let it steep for a bit over a day and the difference is tremendous! I plan on letting it steep a few more days before I start investing in larger batches.

I had NO IDEA that it would be that bad of a vape after mixing, I suppose it's flavor dependent.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Happy Vaping.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
Glad it worked out for you. :)

The best flavorings sticky has suggested percentages on some of the flavors in it, and you can always ask around if you're unsure. Just remember to start low on small quantities and work your way up until it tastes right to you. There's also an invisible top number that you can cross and actually end up with less taste than at a lower number, strange but true. Mainly, just have fun experimenting with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread