Can PG cause digestive problems / bloating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCreMan

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2009
South Jersey
I was just doing some research on a condition I'm dealing with lately. After a meal I seem to feel more bloated than normal and my hearts races for a couple of hours (100 bpm).

While doing searching for an answer I found a medical thread that states being on antibiotics can cause the above mentioned condition because it kills bacteria in your stomache necessary for digestion. Since the stomach can not digest food properly without bacteria one can feel bloated and a have Tachycardia (heart racing) after eating.

How does this relate to vaping and PG? I hope not at all but I'm curious. Since we know that PG kills bacteria is it possible that it's killing the good bacteria that we need to digest food properly?

I'm hoping someone more versed in this subject can shed some light.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
From all I've read -- and that's all I could find in months of research -- your intestinal bacteria are safe. That might not extend to the "good bacteria" in your month, but we don't have that answer yet.

You don't "swallow" vapor, hopefully. You inhale. So the anti-bacterial action takes place in mouth, airways and lungs (if it reaches them).

Nicotine, however, can upset your stomach, and that might be the culprit if can eliminate any other cause. You're putting nioctine in your mouth and swallowing the saliva for your stomach to handle.

Bottom line: Not likely PG to blame,

IceCreMan

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2009
South Jersey
From all I've read -- and that's all I could find in months of research -- your intestinal bacteria are safe. That might not extend to the "good bacteria" in your month, but we don't have that answer yet.

You don't "swallow" vapor, hopefully. You inhale. So the anti-bacterial action takes place in mouth, airways and lungs (if it reaches them).

Nicotine, however, can upset your stomach, and that might be the culprit if can eliminate any other cause. You're putting nioctine in your mouth and swallowing the saliva for your stomach to handle.

Bottom line: Not likely PG to blame,

Thanks for the reply Bob. Yes, I inhale :p. That said, the vapor is coating your mouth and throat so some must be making it to your stomach when you swallow after taking a drag. I just didn't know if what gets down to your stomach is enough to cause something like this.

Aren't the initial side effects from vaping PG (acid reflux, ........, etc.) that some people get when they start vaping the result of the PG making to your stomach?

It certainly sounds like it could be a long shot but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar or can shed some more light on the subject as you have done.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
You know, I have that same problem of high BP/heart racing sometimes after a big meal but have had it far longer than I've been vaping, so that can't be the reason. Just an FYI.

Have you tried acidophilous? It's a supplement you can get that puts the good bacteria back into your system (also occurs naturally in yoghurt). Good idea to get some if you are taking antibiotics or have digestive probs.

Last edited:

IceCreMan

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2009
South Jersey
You know, I have that same problem of high BP/heart racing sometimes after a big meal but have had it far longer than I've been vaping, so that can't be the reason. Just an FYI.

Have you tried acidophilous? It's a supplement you can get that puts the good bacteria back into your system (also occurs naturally in yoghurt). Good idea to get some if you are taking antibiotics or have digestive probs.

I'll have to give it a try. Can it be bought at a pharmacy or do you have to get it at a GNC type place?

dch

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Harwich, Ma
Hi,
What sets off my gastritis and ulcers burnin is the amount of nicotine. I can't have nic juice with more than 18 mgs of nic. 24mgs or more really sets off my stomach. I found this out the hard way when I got a 24mg juice. OUCH! Bloated right up and then the burning. I thought it might have been the PG then I tried it in VG. It made no difference.
What is the amount of nicotine have you vaped?

IceCreMan

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2009
South Jersey
Hi,
What sets off my gastritis and ulcers burnin is the amount of nicotine. I can't have nic juice with more than 18 mgs of nic. 24mgs or more really sets off my stomach. I found this out the hard way when I got a 24mg juice. OUCH! Bloated right up and then the burning. I thought it might have been the PG then I tried it in VG. It made no difference.
What is the amount of nicotine have you vaped?

I've been vaping 24mg pretty much exclusively since I started vaping. I have some 18's so I'll try them for a while and plan on ordering 18mg on my next order.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com

I used to give my rabbit acidophilous (you can get like a pound of it in powder form - they give it to horses for the same reason) because rabbits have sensitive stomachs and he would stop eating occasionally. Instead of taking him to the vet and spending 200 dollars a pop I would give him some of the powder on a white corn chip (the only thing he would eat when he stopped eating) and by the end of the day it had totally straightened his stomach out.

Maureen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread