PG allergy? Switched to VG? Did it help? Please share your experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you switched to all or mostly VG based vapes because of an allergic reaction to PG? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share your experience.

I have been vaping for well over a year now, completely quit tobacco within the first month, don't miss it. I've been reducing my vape intake to about 4 ml of 9mg nic juice daily, and hope to phase out nicotine and vaping further - but I'm in no hurry. Unfortunately, I've over the months developed symptoms of PG allergy.

I didn't feel allergic to anything at first, and for the first months, didn't even notice any problems. But over time, I've developed the characteristic itchy blotches on my legs and arms and have had a kind of bloated feeling in my lungs and stomach. I didn't ascribe this to vaping at first, but now that I've done some research, I'm pretty sure PG allergy is indeed the cause. Since I don't want to give up vaping cold turkey, I'm considering switching to VG based juice.

If you are or have been in a similar situation, please let us know what you did and how it went.In particular, I'd like to know about the following points:

- what kind of juice did you switch to - VG percentage, nic strength and flavor
- did it work - did your allergic symptoms subside, how long did it take, how far to "normal" are you
- any medical insights about this you gained

Thanks for your time.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
PG sensitivities can happen at anytime from all the posts I have read on ecf. Switching to 100% has helped so many. I have never had this problem but I am sure someone who has will come along and relate their experience. I have read where people said you can put your juice on your arm and if you are allergic, you will see swelling and reddening in the area within like 15 minutes. I have never done research on this before though so I don't know if it is true. You might could google it or check on ecf threads. If you try a 100% juice and all the symptoms go away, you can slowly introduce pg back into your juices and see what level your own body can withstand.

I am sorry you are having this problem but by posting it, others will learn from it (me included). Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. :)

Andrea Mills

Dec 25, 2014
Central FL
I have experienced the bloated stomach/lung feeling along with chest tightness, throat pain when vaping and was unable to fall and stay asleep. The symptoms started right after I started a new bottle of 20 VG/ 80 PG juice. Took me a few days to put it together and figure out what was wrong but I then switched to 100% VG and symptoms started going away within a day. Because VG doesn't have a lot of flavor, I started adding small amounts of PG juice and am now at 60 VG / 40 PG - giving me enough flavor but not enough PG to make me sick. I hope it stays that way.

I was on 12 mg throughout, tobacco flavor. The only thing I changed was the PG/VG ratio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread