Can someone answer this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilteapot

Dec 3, 2010
Texas
I have been vaping for approx 2 months.
I was using the e-cig from smoketip.com but last night I got my riva 510 and it is a HUGE difference.

My question is, I love to drag hard, and sometimes it is perfect, but other times, I have a harsh burning in my throat.
What is causing the burning?
How do I prevent the it?
I don't enjoy it as much, but it doesn't happen all the time.

Jynn

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
louisville ky
Tell us more about your setup, are you using carts? cartos? dripping?

Sounds like you're probably just getting kind of dry hits. If you're taking real long drags the juice just isn't wicking fast enough to keep up with you. waiting a lil longer between drags on a carto or cart should help, or if dripping, you'll just have to learn to tell how it hit right BEFORE that harsh drag, and add more juice before it happens :)

Last edited:

kilgoretrout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
South Central PA, USA
If i had to guess I'd say it's a dry atty from a wicking issue. Have you tried blue foam in place of the standard cart filler? I'm assuming you're using the cartridges supplied with the starter kit.

Edit: yeah, I'd try blue foam as a cart filler and make sure it's flush with the neck of the cart. It may be that the juice just isn't wicking into the atomizer quite quick enough and you're getting a bit of a burn.

Last edited:

Jynn

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
louisville ky
Those are carts :) Carts notoriously have wicking issues. You can look in the mod section, people have come up with all kinds of ways to modify the carts themselveswith different fillers, little straws, etc to make them wick better.

You might also just want to try swapping to Cartos or dripping. Cartos (cartomizers) are kind of like an atty built right into the cartridge, many people prefer these as they work better and need to be refilled less frequently, They are simply filled with juice as you would your cartridge, and then screwed directly onto the the battery where the atomizer normally goes. I personally have wicking problems with them too tho.

Dripping is when you drip juice directly onto the bridge of your atomizer, instead of relying on the cartridge filler to "wick" the juice to the atomizer. Many people feel that direct dripping gives a purer flavor and better vapor production than using cartridges. It also eliminates wicking problems with carts and the hassle of constant refilling and transportation of different carts.
You have two types of batteries a sealed manual battery (with the button) and an auto battery. Dripping is not recommended on the auto battery as it has a hole in it where excess liquid could leak in and ruin the battery.
You can get a drip tip to facilitate dripping, A drip tip snaps onto your atomizer where the cartridge usually goes, snap it on and simply drip 2-3 drops of juice into the hole in the center. Blow lightly into the tip to make sure the drop doesn’t get stuck to the wall of the drip tip instead of flowing down into the atomizer.
That’s it! Put it in your mouth and vape away. When you notice vapor production slowing down or your juice starts to taste a little burnt, your atomizer has probably become too dry, Just add another drop. Try to remember how your e-cig vaped JUST before you got that burnt taste, and with time you will be able to tell when you need to add juice before that happens.

If you hear a gurgling noise, and are not getting much vapor, then you have probably flooded the atomizer. Unscrew it and place a piece of paper towel or napkin over the threaded end of the atomizer and blow into the mouthpiece until the excess juice squirts out. Wipe off the threads and try again. If you flooded it too bad, there may also be liquid in the battery threads, make sure to wipe those clean as well.

Last edited:

Jynn

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
louisville ky
Blue foam is actually a type of aquarium filter sponge, you can find it in pet stores. Pulling out the cottony filler in your standard carts and replacing it with a little strip of the blue foam works a little better. Another popular mod is the Pyramid tea bag mod where you replace the filler with a folded up chunk of a pyramid tea bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUqaQCKFkck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyYQgMwp_k

Honestly tho, in my personal opinion... carts will never work as well as dripping or cartos, no matter how much you mess with em :p

Last edited:

Jynn

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
louisville ky
joye-510-bd.jpg

Basic atanomy of your e-cig :D

Atomizers are abreviated as Atty, cartridges as carts, and cartomizers are Cartos :D

Last edited:

DawnH

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Ozarks in Arkansas
Waaaay over my head..lol.
Whew, I need to watch some more videos, and read a ton before I ask another question! lol
I am new, been on here 3 times so far I think.
Still sifting through the lingo.

I know nothing about wicks et..
I appreciate the feedback though, thank you.
I just need to learn what the heck ya'll are talking about!

I had a SmokeTip too and went to the 510 and now a Riva 510. It's all so overwhelming isn't it? You could read these forums for 12 hours a day and still not get caught up and be even MORE confused! SmokeTip is 2 piece auto. Remember screwing on what looked like a "filter?. That is called a "cartomizer". It is a cartridge and an "atomizer" built together as one. They make 510 cartomizers and you can put your juice in them too, all kinds of ways to fill......but we can get to that later, don't want to confuse you. Don't worry about the blue foam yet, this is still new to you and you need to get used to what you're doing. Just keep soaking the white filler material til it looks "slushy" on top and make sure it's pulled up near the top of the cartridge before you put back on. The atty (atomizer) will push it where it needs to be. When it starts tasting "yucky" burnt, etc, it's time to add more juice. The more you use this set up, you'll get used to it and know when to add more drops. You have to at least TRY this for awhile, because you might like it best of all.

Dripping is a whole new ballgame and alot easier, but then you'll wonder why do you have all these cartridges? LOL Just take it one step at a time so you don't get so confused. We're here to help and answer your questions, just be patient iwth yourself, and good luck!

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
I have been vaping for approx 2 months.
I was using the e-cig from smoketip.com but last night I got my riva 510 and it is a HUGE difference.

My question is, I love to drag hard, and sometimes it is perfect, but other times, I have a harsh burning in my throat.
What is causing the burning?
How do I prevent the it?
I don't enjoy it as much, but it doesn't happen all the time.

Welcome to ECF,
Tons of info to read and learn about. When you say you love to drag hard. Vaping is sure NOT the same as smoking cigs. The key is s l o w, long pulls. If you hit it fast and hard, it'll likely taste crappy and not much vapor. Slow long pulls should give you lots of vapor.
There is a learning curve for everyone. Don't get discouraged. You will catch on soon. Read - read - read, and ask questions.
Best of luck to ya.

cuseguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Texas USA
Yea, you are running dry. I had that problem alot early on as I too, take long, hard, frequent drags. It just dries the cart out quickly and the polyfill essentially starts burning. Just google "blue foam 510 cart mod". It works well, not perfect but it's a huge improvement. Also try a few drops on your atty and topping your cart off every so often. But either the foam mod or dripping are the best answers currently. The eGo XL cone atty/cart and the eGo-T tank system are both good attempts to help this problem, but the jury is still out.

Last edited:

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Lilteapot,
It can be really confusing when you begin to vape. So much info. to absorb. And so many opinions and different ways to "skin the cat". You have received some great advice from the peeps who responded to your question and that's what it's all about --- helping new peeps get started. This forum has so much information on it you can literally get lost for days and days reading, and all the while, "raising you level of confusion" at times...lol. I found the best thing to do is use the KISS concept in the beginning. Use what you got in your starter kit and learn it inside and out. Then try some of the other methods. Dripping is great and it's wonderful for testing out new juices. Cartos are also good, but can be frustrating when first using them. Cartridges can be downright frustrating trying to get them to wick properly. But as you vape more, your confidence will grow as you read and learn. Just keep at it and try not to get frustrated. I'm willing to bet I went through two rolls of paper towels when I first got my starter kit and was trying to figure how to use the cartridges. But, what a small price to pay for a much healthier alternative to analogs.
You sure have found the right place to get good advice and information. Take it in small pieces and enjoy yourself. For me, vaping has become both a healthier lifestyle as well as a new hobby with so many options. I'm sure you will come to a similar conclusion. Welcome to vaping!!!

lilteapot

Dec 3, 2010
Texas
Amazing the help out there.
When you go to the vendors to buy this stuff there is no explanation of what is what or how to use it, or what goes with what.
That is the most frustrating part.
This forum is awesome.
Yes, you can learn a lot, but it is overwhelming.
It is a fast pace learn though.
Thanks to you all.
I am introducing a few friends to vaping, and I get overwhelmed trying to explain so I direct them here.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
A good vendor should gladly, and in a reasonable time frame, answer any questions you have about a product. If they don't, move on the the next one. They are in the business of selling the products and if they truly want your business they will take the time to help you understand what you are buying and even offer other options if you might be straying in the wrong direction.
You will quickly learn what the various components do and which ones work together. That is what frustrated me -- many products are interchangeable.
Find yourself a vendor you trust and who pays attention to your needs and stick with them. As you gain knowledge, you can then broaden your horizons and shop online with greater confidence. And, you always have ECF and the fine members here. If you aren't sure whether Part A will work with Part B, pose the question. Someone will chime in and help you. This is a very giving community of experienced vapers and no one wants you to fail or end up with the wrong products.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread