Can someone decipher this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrysun

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
US
This was my first order coming from a china supplier. The order was placed on 6/8/2010. I have been using EMS tracking tool to check on it every day pretty much. Something changed today ..... woot! By my understanding it arrived in the USA today.

Where exactly has it been for the last 18 days? Supplier said 3-4 days to US from mainland china and then maybe a hold up in US customs. This is what the EMS tracking was saying .....

Timing Site Status  
2010-06-13 20:09:00 GUANGZHOU Posting  
2010-06-13 20:43:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2010-06-13 22:35:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
2010-06-13 23:30:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
2010-07-01 11:10:00 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA USORDA Arrival at Sorting Center  
2010-07-01 11:11:00 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA USORDA Handed over to Customs

Order was placed on 6-8 and sent to the US on 6-13?
Got here today and is now in US customs?

Sorry for the noob questions, I just want to know if this is normal, is this a supplier issue or is this an EMS issue(lost package) or was it stuck in chinese customs?

Thanks alot for any thoughts
Harrysun

Harrysun

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
US
Lol .... nervous? Who's nervous? I'm not nervous. I mean I could be nervous, but If I was nervous I would be acting nervously. Is that even a word .... nervously? I could check I suppose but then it might take away from my nervous time. Someone elses nervous time I mean. Not mine ..... cause I'm not nervous. Yet .....

Thanks guys, I have had some incredibly bad luck with deliveries as of late (UPS delivered to wrong house and package went missing kinda luck) and have been waiting patiently for 3 weeks now on this one. So it seems I will just simply wait some more and see what happens.

Harrysun

Upinthehills

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2010
Colorado
I don't know where your shipment was for those two weeks. Likely in the back of a big cargo container. Can you tell if it's in San Francisco or New York? I've had stuff come through both. New York usually gets it back out within a day. San Francisco has taken up to five days. No idea why that is. I guess they just move slower in SF.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just a note about shipments from China...

Packages that contain no e-juice seem to pass into the USA with little problems. So if you are going to buy both juice and hardware from China, you consider splitting the order into 2. One for the hardware and one for the juice.

If the juice order does get thru, at least you will get your hardware.

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Cincinnati OH
Yes to above about juice from China....Received a shipment from China of LR attys in one week from the time of order...It took over 4 weeks for a shipment of juice from the same dealer....Has to be the juice thing....Only buy juice from U.S. dealers now....Just don't want to wait 4 weeks...But, will still buy hardware from China...Enjoy...

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I'm beginning to find hardware in the US that ends up being just as cheap as that from China when you take China's shipping cost and delivery time into account.

Bought two KR8, 280mAh batteries U.S. for $10.99 each, total $21.98 with free shipping and received them in 3 days.

Show me where you can do that from China...

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm beginning to find hardware in the US that ends up being just as cheap as that from China when you take China's shipping cost and delivery time into account.

Bought two KR8, 280mAh batteries U.S. for $10.99 each, total $21.98 with free shipping and received them in 3 days.

Show me where you can do that from China...

I agree. It doesn't pay to buy direct from China unless you're buying in bulk... like 500 atomizers or a few liters of juice.

I usually buy from Myfreedomsmokes when they have sales on juice... last time it was 20% off and 20ml bottles ended up being less than $7.50 a piece. Thats almost as cheap as Heaven Gifts.

Harrysun

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
US
Well, everything came in today. It was a strictly hardware order from East Mall. I am now officially stocked up ..... for years I hope. If anyone can link me prices better than ...

(50) 510 LR atomizers @ $3.00 each
(100) 510 cartomizers @ $1.00 each
(100) 510 round tips/carts @ $.20 each (I have the bad habit of chewing on em')
(1) Riva kit for $60.00 (I have seen those and Janty eGos cheaper with the 4th of July discounts going on .... meh)
(3) extra Riva batteries @ $25.00 (I think I've seen these as cheap from a US seller as well since the order was placed.)

Everything shipped for $15.00

..... I would of gladly bought a little more local. It was 25 days from the time of the order until it arrived at my doorstep. Dunno about the 18 days of going nowhere. Regardless, so far everything is great, I ponder opening all the atomizers/cartomizers to test them with a multimeter. We'll see.

Just got 1000ml of 100 mg/ml from Chris over at MyfreedomSmokes, it's a bargain with his 4th July discount. This weekend I will be transferring it over to 50ml glass bottles with euro dropper tops for freezing. Plenty of eGo batteries, PG/VG and lots of flavorings to try out from Perfumers Apprentice.

I am done spending money. Hopefully stocked up for a few years or so. I'm a little paranoid about the government and FDA making things problematic for everyone. I quite simply will not go back to smoking analogs ..... ever.

Thanks everyone for the replies, as usual it seems everything worked out like it was suppose to.

Harrysun

Harrysun

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
US
WoW... Your oder brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Stocking Up".

*drops head in shame

"I know it."

Funny thing is, apparently East Mall uses this point system where you get in store credit for your purchases put toward your next order. I now have $19.75 in credit from there ..... sigh. I am not gonna do it

*walks off repeating to himself .... "I'm not gonna do it." "I'm not gonna do it."

Harrysun

Harrysun

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
US
Hmmmmm ..... it was my understanding that high concentrate unflavored nic juice in PG could be put into the freezer for storage. I believe that was advice from one of the resident chemists if I'm not mistaken.

1. Rinse glass bottle and cap in PGA to kill any ickys.
2. Transfer nic juice to smaller amber colored glass bottles with euro dropper caps.
3. Make sure there is no head room in the bottle, put on cap.
4. Place bottles in plastic container further wrapped to block out light.
5. Put lid on and place in freezer. (no expansion)
6. PG won't freeze solid but will get thick.
7. Remove a bottle when needed and completely thaw before opening.
8. Uses 16 gauge needle in euro cap to remove liquid.

That is what I have down for notes. I shall have to track down the thread I read that in. It is entirely possible that I have no idea what the heck I'm talking about.

Harrysun

Harrysun

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
US
Ok, I'm not really sure anymore about storage. Initially I read <this thread> where "Kurt" goes into his method of long term storage. It is my understanding that he is a chemist and would certainly know better than myself.

This is his post in the thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the final procedure I used for processing 500 mL of 100 mg unflavored VG juice from MFS. It was in a thread from the New Years sale, and so was getting buried, and I wanted to bump it into this sticky so more could see how I did it.

Here it is:

Just finished processing my 0.5 L of 100 mg VG. Yep, it did have that slight insecticide smell, somewhat sweet and pungent and a bit fishy. That's how nic smells to me, always has. Good!

Color: almost none. Very clear. Unless you put pure VG next to it, it looks like pure VG, just very slightly yellow. Again good!

What follows is a bit long, but 100 mg juice is very dangerous, so I want people to know how I processed the juice for usage and long term storage safely. I will not respond to or entertain "don't worry about it" comments, because in my opinion those people are idiots and ripe for an early Darwin award. Spilling a bunch of this juice accidentally is in fact a serious hazmat disaster. Spilling a bunch of it on you, as in 100 mL or so, is possibly fatal unless you happen to have a syringe of atropine handy, which I don't have, and I doubt anyone else here does either, and can phone 911. All procedures were done on a clean smooth kitchen table, which was on a smooth linoleum floor, which, unlike carpet, can be washed if needed.

Suited up: hands in nitrile gloves, and long sleeve sweatshirt with rubber bands on the wrists to make sure all skin was covered. At all times I am aware of where my hands are and if there are any drops on the gloves, I wash them off. I am alert, sober (including avoiding too much nic), and I have bright light to see.

Poured about 30 mL into a clean sterilized mason jar. This gave enough room in the 500 mL MFS bottle to recap it and shake-mix thoroughly. Poured the 30 mL back into the bottle, and repeated the shaking. Now it is mixed well enough.

Storage bottles were 50 mL amber glass with eurodropper inserts, all sterilized with vodka and dried overnight. I recommend a small funnel for pouring into the bottles, but I didn't have one, and I have very well trained and steady hands (and paper towels under everything to catch spills). Poured the thick liquid directly into 50 mL bottles to within about a mL of the rim, inserted the euros, wiped them off thoroughly with vodka-wetted paper towel, capped them tightly, labeled them, and now they are in the storage bin in the cold basement.

0.5 L filled 8 bottles, since they actually hold more than 60 mL, with about 15 mL left in the MFS bottle. Added a few mL of vodka to that, shook it up a lot, heated the outside of the bottle with hot water to make the liquid flow well, and then inverted this into the mason jar and let it drain for about 30 min or so. Since I generally vape 18 mg strength, or less, every one of those drops is prob about 0.5 mL of vaping juice. When the bottle was drained, I collected the juice in the mason jar with a syringe, and put that in dropper bottles. Then all glassware and syringe were washed thoroughly with hot water, gloves were removed and thrown out, table was thoroughly wiped off. Done. The most dangerous substance in my house, by far, is now safely stored, and I can use it via syringe without ever touching it.

Inspired by Mike Pickle, I made an 18 mg VG juice with 10% capella pralines and cream.

Chris, you are indeed a master. Not only is the nic smell not present at all, but this DIY hits like 24 mg at least, with a little bit of nic pepper taste, which I really like a lot. I am thrilled, buzzed, and so thankful! Simply outstanding on all counts, and I am set.

BTW I am sure, as an organic chemist, that the way I have bottled these, and when Spring comes those bottles can go in the freezer (there is no expansion and it does not freeze solid), that this juice will last several years at least, probably more. At very cold temps, as far as I know, there is simply nothing the juice can do to go bad or lose nic. See my comments in the Smoke Juice Storage Tips thread. Barring a major house-fire or police confiscation, I am sure I am set for a very long time indeed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also read in <this thread> some words of wisdom from Levy over at Xtremevaping.com. It was from an informative exchange between "uzzaperez" and Levy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys for the info and the link to the other thread, a lot of good info in there.

Here is a very informative exchange I had with Levy Roberts from xtremevaping.com - they sell nic in concentrations up to 100mg/ml and have good prices. Note that in the last part of the chain Levy says it is okay if I post his comments here. He also mentions he's preparing a nic FAQ so I'll be looking forward to that.

-----------------------------

Looking at some 100mg liquid with the purpose of storing it for DIY. Is there a recommended method for longer term storage that might extend the life beyond the normally reported 2 year life span? Thanks!
Uzza

--------------------------------------

It is not the Nicotine that has an expiration date.
It is the PG and/or VG that expires.
Nicotine will not lose it's strength over time, it just oxidizes, turns yellow or brownish.
PG and VG will sour, and ruin the flavor.
For long term storage, I recommend diluting to 60mg or less, storing in glass of some type with as little air in the bottle as possible.
Once stored, do not repeatedly open the container, as every time it is opened, you are letting fresh oxygen into the container.
If it is PG, it can be stored in the deep freezer, and even VG can be frozen, but might develop crystals.
Below is some stuff on PG and VG, it might help.
From DOW Chemical's website:
Storage
PG USP/EP has a shelf life of two years when stored below 40°C (104°F) in closed containers away from sources of ultraviolet (UV) light.

GLYCERIN

Pure glycerine has a freezing point of
about 17°C (62.6°F). Glycerine,
however, is seldom seen in a crystallized
state due to its tendency to
supercool. The presence of small
amounts of water within a glycerinewater
solution also inhibit crystallization,
which may depress its
freezing point.

To minimize quality degradation,
glycerine should be used and
stored below 54°C (130°F).

But given its severely limited shelf life, extracts made from Vegetable Glycerine typically have a shelf life of 14-24 months whereas alcohol extracts can have an extended shelf life of 4-6 years.

I hope this helps
Levy

That is a huge help. Thank you so much for responding quickly. My only question would be why dilute it to 60mg or less? Why not store it at 100mg if it is the PG/VG that will tend to go bad? Thanks again.
Uzza

PG and VG do not like the high concentration of nicotine.
Sometimes, not all the time, there will be a chemical reaction that will give VG a pinkish tint.
It does not hurt the liquid, nor does it change the taste or lose strength, it just disturbs some people.
It is a normal occurrence of high nicotine content, so I just recommend diluting to 60mg or less.
Darkening of the liquid is expected as it ages, it is oxidization and can not be helped.
Thanks
Levy

Thanks again. One more question...do you mind if I post your comments in the ECF forum? I have a thread up with some related questions and these are good answers.
Uzza

I don't have a problem with it.
Dvap and I have run tests with different brands of PG and VG, and DVap has tried different suppliers of Nicotine,
All with the same result. He recommends diluting to under 60mg, so therefore, I accept his opinion and findings.
Who am I to argue with a Chemist? LOL
The other info is available on the web, as well as Dow Chemicals website.
I am putting together a FAQ on Nicotine, PG and VG that will cover all of this, but it will be a few days.
Thanks
Levy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both say for long term storage you can freeze it no problem minus a "pink tint" possibility with nic juice over 60 mg/ml. No effect on nic quality (I'm ok with the pink tint stuff, I have some of Levys in 36 mg/ml that is tinted pink :) )

Toady I ran across <this thread> where "Kurt" states

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thatdamncat, good to hear the use of the term H-bonding from someone else! *tipping his hat and bowing* Chemistry rules, for sure. And this is all chemistry.

Check out the thread in tips "What is the Best Way to Store E-Liquids?". See What is the Best Way to Store E-Liquids?

The bottom line is based on info from Sun and my own thoughts on the chemistry, I am now retracting my suggestion to fridge/freezer store e-juices. (I am not shouting here with boldface...I can't turn it off! )

The current info points to dark, cool (not cold), and dry. Like a desiccator! With drying packs used for vitamin jars, or SiO2 used for flower drying.

Given the info discussed there, it does not seem like a good idea at all to use the fridge or freezer for any reason, so freezing points are now, for me, a moot point. For those that experimented here with freezing, as long as you did not open the bottle while it was cold, it should be fine if you just bring it back to room temp, and perhaps shake it homogeneous again.

We ARE going to solve the long term storage issue! And when I submit this, my boldface setting will hopefully turn off, as I am losing my voice shouting!

Enjoy a vaporous weekend!
Kurt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically "dark, cool (not cold) and dry" now. I'll have to do some more reading and thinking on this one. Regardless thanks for the input and suggestions. Glad it was brought to my attention prior to freezing.

Harrysun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread