Can they e-smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishybob

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Arizona, USA
That is just insane.
We can't smoke in bars, and have to be 20' away from any building entrance.
Now they're trying to get us in our cars...

When they voted on the smoking ban in Arizona, there were two propositions on the ballot. The description of one was that it would be banned in most buildings, but not bars, and the cigarette tax would be raised 80 cents a pack.
The other choice was that it would be banned in any building, including bars, and the tax would be raised by "0.8 cents" per pack. The second one was a misprint, and was meant to say 80 CENTS. So one description was in decimal format and the other wasn't. Well, the second one passed, and we got our 80 cent tax increase. The fact that there was a misprint on the description didn't matter. Everyone I talked to thought it was .8 of a cent (which was what I thought too). Not that anyone I know voted yes on it.

I thought of this because in the arguments to pass the ban, the person who wrote it said that if they had their way, smoking would be banned in people's homes and cars as well.

What is wrong with people?

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
by jamie

There have also been proposals in various US locales to ban smoking in all apartment buildings, in subsidized housing, and to prevent smokers from adopting children.

I get so ticked off when I read things like this. Okay, Okay, maybe the landlord has a right to say "no smoking" in his apartment building or in subsidized housing, but to say I would not make a good parent because I smoke is crap. I guess next it will be what type of education/job you have. What type of movies you watch...

Lady Python

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2008
UK
In the UK, the only people to be legally persecuted are smokers. Already here in certain areas (if not across the board) you are not allowed to foster children.

Every night we are bombarded with adverts, usually with some young child in it, with a pen or a pencil pretending to smoke - the message being "think about the children".

Already here, if you smoke you are debarred from some medical procedures, the same if you are overweight. Non-smokers get jobs in preference to smokers, indeed many smokers have ended up being sacked from their jobs. If any other section of the community were treated in this vindictive way, the full force of the law would be brought down on the perpetrators. However, if you are a smoker, the law comes down hard on you. People have been beat up in the street, one case last year involved a man who was waiting for a bus, enjoying a ciggie. The man behind asked him to put out the cigarette. The man carried on smoking so the other man beat him so badly, he was put in hospital. The man who smoked happened to be profoundly DEAF and didn't hear what was said to him. No-one was ever caught for the assault - surprise, surprise.

Unfortunately, Ireland got the smoking ban and everyone else followed. No doubt the same thing will happen again - except the present government is on it's way out. They are hated in this country for what they've done to the British people (and not only the smoking ban but many other things too) so we hope the next government will be more tolerant.

As an aside, the BMA (British Medical Association) finally let their true agenda out of the bag at the weekend. They want a complete and total ban on all tobacco products within the next 20 years. In other words, complete prohibition. This from the arrogant medical profession who preside over the filthiest hospitals in the western world.

This is why I keep harping on about Freedom2Choose. We really need a world-wide backlash against these health fascists.

Lady Python

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2008
UK
Just read the article again and at the moment it is only a proposal.

However, I really do baulk at this statement:

He hit a group of children in west Belfast after he lit a cigarette which caused him to suffer a coughing fit. He killed eight year old Emma Lynch and Christopher Shaw, 11. Darren Shaw, aged 13 at the time, was left in a critical condition after Johnston's car crashed into them on the Springfield Road on December 19 2003.

Although tragic and accidents like this should never happen, for the Irish government to use that to ban people from smoking and driving is ridiculous.

It's more likely for someone to have a coughing fit if they have a cold. Will the Irish government ban people with colds from driving? No, thought not.

These anti-smokers really need to get a life.

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
I can't believe that! Tragic accidents like that happen because people can't control their car, not because of smoking! You are right LP. I mean, If I was having a coughing fit I'd probably pull over or at least stop the car. They should be concentrating their resources on drink driving instead, which actually inhibits your judgement and reactions.

This over-zealous approach to banning the smoking of cigarettes everywhere reminds me of something I read in our local paper when the smoking ban first came in. It spoke of the Local Authority in a neighbouring town extending the smoking ban to outside cafés and bars - they were meaning that if you are sat with friends OUTSIDE, you can only smoke if you stand up, step a few feet away, and face in the opposite direction.

What is going on!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread