Can using my VTC5 in mechs hurt the battery? (I use VW DNA devices mainly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Stupid question.... I have a couple dna devices that I use pretty much as my daily drivers.... Can using my VTC5's in mechs hurt the cells? I thought I read somewhere since you can drain a battery pretty low in a mech, its not good for the cells... plus when I am using my mechs, I'm running <0.5 sub ohm drippers my dna30's cant read..... so pretty serious amperage pulling too.... is it best to have dedicated batteries for mechs?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Stupid question.... I have a couple DNA devices that I use pretty much as my daily drivers.... Can using my VTC5's in mechs hurt the cells? I thought I read somewhere since you can drain a battery pretty low in a mech, its not good for the cells... plus when I am using my mechs, I'm running <0.5 sub ohm drippers my dna30's cant read..... so pretty serious amperage pulling too.... is it best to have dedicated batteries for mechs?

0.5 ohms is not bad for that battery. Draining the battery too low will really shorten its life and could cause it to have an internal short which is the worst kind of short for a battery. When you start using the mech mod keep your multimeter handy and check the voltage often. You will get to the point where you will know by the vape when the batteries need to be changed, however I am never without a multimeter when I use a mech mod.

I wouldn't worry about dedicating a battery to any device unless a device needed a special battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When building sub-ohm coils, the two most important things to know are:

The amp draw (current) by the coil must never be more than the maximum continuous discharge rate (amps) of the battery. This is explained in detail in my blog:

Explain It To the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law calculator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread