Can you help me understand how reguated mods work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntoAFly

Aug 6, 2014
NC
I bought a VV/VW mod about a week ago, Its voltage range is 3-6 volts and It goes up to 15 watts. Then I was rebuilding my Protank heads, now Ive bought a kayfun clone. After about 5 builds I went and grabbed some 26 gauge kanthal (per the guy's local at my B&M advice). I made a 1.5 ohm coil out of the 26 gauge kanthal and its around 15 wraps, its a huge coil.

My "problem" is that it seems that the coil does get rather hot, but it takes a while because my device is only 15 watts. My question is that 15 watts on a 1.5 ohm coil is 4.7 volts, can I turn up the voltage to 6 volts and get all the way up to 24 watts on this thing, or does it top out at 15 watts no matter what voltage you run?

I hope I explained this clear enough if not ill try to explain better.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I bought a VV/VW mod about a week ago, Its voltage range is 3-6 volts and It goes up to 15 watts. Then I was rebuilding my Protank heads, now Ive bought a Kayfun clone. After about 5 builds I went and grabbed some 26 gauge kanthal (per the guy's local at my B&M advice). I made a 1.5 ohm coil out of the 26 gauge kanthal and its around 15 wraps, its a huge coil.

My "problem" is that it seems that the coil does get rather hot, but it takes a while because my device is only 15 watts. My question is that 15 watts on a 1.5 ohm coil is 4.7 volts, can I turn up the voltage to 6 volts and get all the way up to 24 watts on this thing, or does it top out at 15 watts no matter what voltage you run?

What mod is it?

More often than not, a 15 watt limit means that's where it tops out, no matter what.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The limiting factor is always going to be the maximum amperage the mod can produce. The volts or watts on the display, or that you adjust it to is window dressing. Using volts if the amperage would exceed the limit, your mod will reduce it to save itself, assuming a good electronics package. Using watts if the amperage would exceed the limit, your mod will reduce the voltage to save itself.

The reductions may occur while the display is still claiming to be putting out a higher level. It's the actual voltage the mod can supply to your topper connection, and it will be limited by amps. Similar to how the circuit breaker in your fuse box at home will blow if you draw too many amps.

xcrazydx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
United States
I bought a VV/VW mod about a week ago, Its voltage range is 3-6 volts and It goes up to 15 watts. Then I was rebuilding my Protank heads, now Ive bought a Kayfun clone. After about 5 builds I went and grabbed some 26 gauge kanthal (per the guy's local at my B&M advice). I made a 1.5 ohm coil out of the 26 gauge kanthal and its around 15 wraps, its a huge coil.

They should never have recommended that to you. 30 gauge is perfect and sometimes i used 28 but that is as big as you should go.

It didn't matter what you set it to, it will only do it's max amperage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

IntoAFly

Aug 6, 2014
NC
They should never have recommended that to you. 30 gauge is perfect and sometimes i used 28 but that is as big as you should go.

It didn't matter what you set it to, it will only do it's max amperage.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Maybe they had a lot and were trying to move it. Next time Im going in there knowing what to buy, not asking for any advice lol

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Gotcha, I believe it was dropping down to about 15 watts. I just built another 2 ohm out of 30 guage and im running that at 13 watts, Its heating up faster, producing more vapor, and it tastes better. Ill just save the heavy stuff for my nemesis clone coming on soon!

With a single battery, it's likely that the amp limit is 2.5A, which means that with a 2 ohm coil, you're still only getting 12.5 watts. To get to 13w, you need to make the coil at least 2.1 ohms, although 2.3 ohms would be better, so as not to overstress the battery, and taking into account that there may be some margin of error in the ohm meter, in the coil itself, or even in the battery.

A margin for error is a good thing to have. Another really excellent thing to have when you're building coils is this link: Steam Engine | free vaping calculators It's got all the calculators you need for figuring out all the math, and for getting your coils wrapped just right.

Andria

Last edited:

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
If your mod has a 15watt maximum limit, no you can't turn up the voltage and get more than 15 watts.

Hmm, not sure if this is the case for all mods.

On both my Vamo and Zmax in dual 18350 configuration, setting the device to 6v with a 1.5ohm coil gave definite improvement in performance over the 15w setting, there are several other people I've seen mention doing this on the forums too.

AFAIK the amp limit of the chip is what sets the ultimate limit for the device. If you can match voltage and resistance while still coming within the amp limit you can get more power than in wattage mod.

Halcyon2501

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Greenville, SC USA
I have an iTaste SVD with the same limits (6V, 15W). In order to get the max range in voltage or wattage, you need to build a 2.4 ohm coil (6 volts @ 2.4 ohms = 15 watts).

Any lower and your PV won't pump out it's max 6V, because it takes less than that to hit the 15W cap (4.74 volts @ 1.5 ohms = 15 watts).

Any higher and you won't be able to reach 15 watts because of the voltage limit (6 volts @ 3 ohms = 12 watts).

To run the PV full bore and have the max range of voltage and wattage, 2.4 ohms is your target.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Thanks Andria, I've been using steam engine to build my coils along with the ohm meter built in to my device. So I should go up higher than 2 ohms? Will I get better results?

Yes, I believe so; that 12.5w is pretty close, so it may not seem like a big difference, in terms of the vape. But it will be safer, and should help the battery last a bit longer as well. both the charge and the battery itself -- the more amps you draw, the faster the battery runs down, and if you're constantly right at the max amp draw, not only can it be dangerous, but it will shorten the overall lifetime of the battery -- that's why I said that a margin of error would be good -- even if the max amperage of the battery is 2.5A, that's "best case" -- what if the person who assembled/manufactured the battery was having a bad day? ;) Or their testing machine was? Very few things on planet Earth operate in "best case" mode! ;)

Andria

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Yes, I believe so; that 12.5w is pretty close, so it may not seem like a big difference, in terms of the vape. But it will be safer, and should help the battery last a bit longer as well. both the charge and the battery itself -- the more amps you draw, the faster the battery runs down, and if you're constantly right at the max amp draw, not only can it be dangerous, but it will shorten the overall lifetime of the battery -- that's why I said that a margin of error would be good -- even if the max amperage of the battery is 2.5A, that's "best case" -- what if the person who assembled/manufactured the battery was having a bad day? ;) Or their testing machine was? Very few things on planet Earth operate in "best case" mode! ;)

Andria

Running anything at redline usually doesn't result in good outcomes. Regulated or unregulated doesn't matter, it's the difference between running your car around town constantly at redline, using cruise control or the gas pedal. Some do this and many times the results are in posts of "Why is my (mod - battery - charger) displaying these weird symptoms?"

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Hmm, not sure if this is the case for all mods.

On both my Vamo and Zmax in dual 18350 configuration, setting the device to 6v with a 1.5ohm coil gave definite improvement in performance over the 15w setting, there are several other people I've seen mention doing this on the forums too.

AFAIK the amp limit of the chip is what sets the ultimate limit for the device. If you can match voltage and resistance while still coming within the amp limit you can get more power than in wattage mod.

I was referring to the maximum limit not the maximum setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread