Canadian Cancer Society: Now Spends More on Fundraising, than on Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
Wow.

I'm not surprised at the revelation...but rather, I'm surprised that CBC had the guts to even go there & publish this important story. Kudos to them! At the moment it's the top headline on both their Canada news section & their Health news section.

News link here:

Cancer Society spends more on fundraising than research - Canada - CBC News

---

That's right: the Canadian Cancer Society now spends far more money on fundraising than they do on actual cancer research. Nearly $4 of every $5 that they collect does not go to cancer research. This confirms what we vapers have known now for quite some time: the Cancer Societies & their ilk have grown increasingly uninterested in helping to find successful treatments or cures for cancer...and with each passing year, they're putting a lot less money into pretending otherwise.

Their top priority nowadays is to sustain their own profit, & protect their own position.

Is it any wonder that the Cancer Society opposes vaping? Cancer, and the causes of cancer (like smoking, for one) are the bread & butter for this group & those like it. They depend on the status quo.

---​
And just to be clear: cancer research doesn't just get less money than fundraising. Cancer research now gets the smallest percentage of their money. It's literally the least-funded thing in their budget.
---​

The Canadian Cancer Society refused to be interviewed by CBC for the story. (Are you surprised? I'm not...though it again, illustrates how slimy they are.) They did send an email, where they claimed that all the work they do to keep the public informed is very important.

Ohhh...is that what they're doing when they use blatant misinformation & old-fashioned fearmongering to further their ongoing anti-vaping lobby & keep Canadians from having access to the wonderful alternative of e-cigs? Is that what they're doing when they abuse their position...by misleading & betraying the public? Is that what they're doing when they hardsell like crazy pharma's expensive, ineffective cessation products that don't work & only reinforce the notion in smokers that it's "impossible" to quit?

I see...

---

Our publicly-funded Health Ministry already has a duty to keep the public informed. And as a government ministry, Health Canada is accountable to the public. Conversely, the Canadian Cancer Society is a private charity; it's not accountable. Granted, governments are frequently dishonest; governments frequently fail. So watchdog groups are usually a good thing.

But the Canadian Cancer Society? Hell no. If anything, there should be watchdog groups warning us about them. They work hand in hand with pharma & the govt to keep the b.s. status quo going. And they give people the false impression that the majority of the money they raise will go to cancer research...when in reality, cancer research now gets the smallest portion. To repeat: nearly $4 of every $5 they collect does not go to cancer research.

Despicable.

---

Anyway, sorry for rambling on so long & preaching to the choir. I'm really glad this story was put out by CBC. Hopefully, it will deliver a crippling blow to the credibility & future of the Canadian Cancer Society...and in the short-term, shame them into some changes.

Happy vaping friends!
FVxh8.gif

Last edited:

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Some years back, in the UK, I worked for the leading asthma charity. It raised almost 10 million pounds a year (spending about 40% on running costs) - and took almost nothing from government. However, their commissioned research had 'cornered the market' and there was nowhere for them to go.

The threads of research they had running suggested that asthma was not solely caused by environmental air pollution (such as tobacco smoke, vehicle exhaust emissions, pollen etc) but that there was an element of immunology at play. Various findings pointed towards an immunological resistance to asthma that came from childhood exposure to dirt, dust and general grime.

This research was not popular as it devalued the 'myths' (one of which was that 'second-hand smoke causes asthma') that had been built up over the years.

Interestingly enough, Martin Dockerell, of ASH-UK, worked for this charity at the same time as I did - he was just as effeminately priggish then as he is now!

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread