Cancer why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Vaksman

May 30, 2019
USA NJ
I am vaping for about 4 years after 50 years analog. After I quit analog and started vaping, I had a c-diff infection that accompanied
by a heart attack and now IBS or Crowns, my doctor trying to reduce the inflammation with different quiet expensive drugs so far I am not ok. Heart burn ........ stomach bloating etc.
I am MTL vaper at low wattage using 90% VG, 3% nicotine with sweetener and cherry with vanilla flavoring, DIY. Now is the worst I just diagnosed with testicular cancer. May be related to vaping, don't know. My lung functions actually improved and so is COPD. Everything bad started after I quit analog in about 4 months.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
I'm really sorry to read you're having so many health problems. Hope sincerely you recover completely as soon as possible. But I really can't see how vaping could induce these problems, they are absolutely not related with anything that vape contains. I really think that's a coincidence, a sad and problematic one, but notihing more than a coincidence.

Really hope you recover well.

Nathan Vaksman

May 30, 2019
USA NJ
I'm really sorry to read you're having so many health problems. Hope sincerely you recover completely as soon as possible. But I really can't see how vaping could induce these problems, they are absolutely not related with anything that vape contains. I really think that's a coincidence, a sad and problematic one, but notihing more than a coincidence.

Really hope you recover well.
Thanks and God bless

Nathan Vaksman

May 30, 2019
USA NJ
My heart goes out to you. Obligatory correlation != causation. Perhaps your diseases were in perfect balance before you went ahead and changed something. Or maybe you were doomed in any case.

That is what I was thinking. My body just so used to analog that it did not know how too behave after all bad chemicals were missing.

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
New York City
OK, this got a bit long, so forgive me. The subject matter is probably more than one would want to know, but talking about it with others and doing lots of reading helps, because I don't have anyone close to me who suffers, as I do...

I quit cigarettes the day of my knee surgery and started vaping with cig-a-likes. I think the nicotine level was either 12 or 18. Granted those things weren't the greatest way to get nicotine and I probably should have gone higher, but I knew nothing back then. About a month later, Ulcerative Colitis; it started suddenly.

I recall reading something about nicotine being beneficial for UC, but I forgot where I found it, and that 15mg of nicotine was the dosage the study recommended for benefits. I used to love the show, House, MD (he was an abrasive, irritating, but incredibly knowledgeable disease doctor with a Amphetamine problem, but I found it interesting & entertaining :lol:), and then recalled an episode that I saw years ago: A department store Santa was in the hospital, suffering with IBD, and Dr. House throws a prescription for cigarettes at him. Here is the exchange:

House: Let me guess... inflammatory bowel.
Santa: Wow, yeah. Is it that bad?
House: Yes. It's also written on your chart. Bloody ........, gas, pain... took sulfasalazine, but it didn't work -
Santa: No, then I -
House: Next tried steroid enemas, oral corticosteroids, 5-ASAs, 6-mercaptopurine... I'm impressed.
Santa: By my medical history?
House: By how well your last doctor charted.
Santa: It's one thing to have to go to the bathroom every hour, but when the kids sit on my lap, it's... The store sent me home, they're gonna fire me. Can't you put me back on 5-ASA? Maybe it'll work this time?
House: Not likely. I'm giving you a prescription. It's cheap, which is good because your insurance company won't pay for it. [He gives Santa a prescription, who puts on his glasses to read it.]
Santa: [tries to read House's writing] Cojorius?
House: Cigarettes. One twice a day, no more, no less. Studies have shown that cigarette smoking is one of the most effective ways to control inflammatory bowel, plus it's been established that you look 30% cooler.
Santa: Are you kidding me?
House: About the looking cooler, yeah. The rest is true.
Santa: Isn't it addictive and dangerous?
House: Pretty much all the drugs I prescribe are addictive and dangerous. The difference with this one is that it's completely legal. [He turns to leave.] Merry Christmas.

I had totally forgotten about that episode until I read the study about nicotine and IDB. So, I searched it up and found a medical student's blog (who is a big fan of House, too), who posts about House episodes and evaluates the truth to these diagnosis-es (House MD Guide: Blogs, Answers - A Medical Guide to House). I always wondered if all of the medical information was based in fact or not and, it seems, it was! ;)

I'm still suffering and I am currently at 6mg, because I thought that I should reduce my nicotine to reduce my cravings for it. My husband is psycho about vaping, meaning I can't vape in front of him, in the house with him in it, or leave any of my vaping stuff around the house. He is literally CONVINCED that vaping is worse than tobacco cigarettes and rakes me over the coals each time it is brought up. He is one of those people that won't believe you, no matter how many studies you sling at him. He really thinks he can get Cancer by second-hand vaping. Drives me batty! So, in order to keep the arguing to a minimum, I thought it best to drop my dosage over time.

Now, that I am able to DIY (mind you, in secret, due to the husband :mad:), I can start kicking my nicotine up. I have several retail liquids that will also need adjustments (3mg, 6mg, 8, etc.), but I've been too busy, too fatigued, or in too much pain (or running to the bathroom) to do it yet. Hopefully this weekend will allow me some solitude.

In the meantime, I have significantly changed my diet this week to eliminate all carbohydrates, sugar, dairy, and any processed foods. Pain seems to be better and frequency is more spaced out (but ........; read it will get worse before it gets better :grr:), so I hope it works. It truly sucks that I can't eat what I used to, but vaping will allow me to continue to taste the foods (mostly sweets/desserts) that I can no longer have in their original form. I haven't noticed a VG sensitivity myself, but I think I have too much going on to even notice, if there was. Most of my liquids have been 50/50 due to my pre-made coil tank usage anyway, so it may be affecting me in some way, but not as significantly/noticeably as it does @Nathan Vaksman .

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
When I checked, smoking is tied to testicular cancer. You smoked analogs for 50 years? I'm kind of shocked you aren't dead already, honestly.

Vaping may have contributed I do not know. What *I* know for myself is that while I have been at this vaping thing for a while and avoided a COPD diagnosis, well, I'm sort of a prime candidate for lung cancer EVEN though I stopped. Damage is damage is damage. I'm a realist. I believe I could still die from my past cigarette use.

I'm not going to blame vaping if I do.

Anna

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Your symptoms remind me of a gastrointestinal issue I have but since there's no cure I won't go into it. It doesn't kill you tho, just makes you want to die.
I was starting to get COPD symptoms when I quit smoking and vaped full time. The symptoms are gone and my lungs are healthy. I think I caught it in time. After 50 years smoking, some things just can't be reversed so it might be too late. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

kashif

May 26, 2019
Sorry to hear about it. I hope you get well soon. I am a IBS sufferer. You need to add psyllium powder to your diet and it will improve the gut motility and will reduce the inflammation. Its available on all medical stores. If your main issue is ........ then add a large spoon into a glass of plain water. Stir and drink 30 minutes before meals. You will feel a dramatic improvement.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    OK, this got a bit long, so forgive me. The subject matter is probably more than one would want to know, but talking about it with others and doing lots of reading helps, because I don't have anyone close to me who suffers, as I do...

I quit cigarettes the day of my knee surgery and started vaping with cig-a-likes. I think the nicotine level was either 12 or 18. Granted those things weren't the greatest way to get nicotine and I probably should have gone higher, but I knew nothing back then. About a month later, Ulcerative Colitis; it started suddenly.

I recall reading something about nicotine being beneficial for UC, but I forgot where I found it, and that 15mg of nicotine was the dosage the study recommended for benefits. I used to love the show, House, MD (he was an abrasive, irritating, but incredibly knowledgeable disease doctor with a Amphetamine problem, but I found it interesting & entertaining :lol:), and then recalled an episode that I saw years ago: A department store Santa was in the hospital, suffering with IBD, and Dr. House throws a prescription for cigarettes at him. Here is the exchange:

House: Let me guess... inflammatory bowel.
    Santa: Wow, yeah. Is it that bad?
    House: Yes. It's also written on your chart. Bloody ........, gas, pain... took sulfasalazine, but it didn't work -
    Santa: No, then I -
    House: Next tried steroid enemas, oral corticosteroids, 5-ASAs, 6-mercaptopurine... I'm impressed.
    Santa: By my medical history?
    House: By how well your last doctor charted.
    Santa: It's one thing to have to go to the bathroom every hour, but when the kids sit on my lap, it's... The store sent me home, they're gonna fire me. Can't you put me back on 5-ASA? Maybe it'll work this time?
    House: Not likely. I'm giving you a prescription. It's cheap, which is good because your insurance company won't pay for it. [He gives Santa a prescription, who puts on his glasses to read it.]
    Santa: [tries to read House's writing] Cojorius?
    House: Cigarettes. One twice a day, no more, no less. Studies have shown that cigarette smoking is one of the most effective ways to control inflammatory bowel, plus it's been established that you look 30% cooler.
    Santa: Are you kidding me?
    House: About the looking cooler, yeah. The rest is true.
    Santa: Isn't it addictive and dangerous?
    House: Pretty much all the drugs I prescribe are addictive and dangerous. The difference with this one is that it's completely legal. [He turns to leave.] Merry Christmas.

I had totally forgotten about that episode until I read the study about nicotine and IDB. So, I searched it up and found a medical student's blog (who is a big fan of House, too), who posts about House episodes and evaluates the truth to these diagnosis-es (House MD Guide: Blogs, Answers - A Medical Guide to House). I always wondered if all of the medical information was based in fact or not and, it seems, it was! ;)

I'm still suffering and I am currently at 6mg, because I thought that I should reduce my nicotine to reduce my cravings for it. My husband is psycho about vaping, meaning I can't vape in front of him, in the house with him in it, or leave any of my vaping stuff around the house. He is literally CONVINCED that vaping is worse than tobacco cigarettes and rakes me over the coals each time it is brought up. He is one of those people that won't believe you, no matter how many studies you sling at him. He really thinks he can get Cancer by second-hand vaping. Drives me batty! So, in order to keep the arguing to a minimum, I thought it best to drop my dosage over time.

Now, that I am able to DIY (mind you, in secret, due to the husband :mad:), I can start kicking my nicotine up. I have several retail liquids that will also need adjustments (3mg, 6mg, 8, etc.), but I've been too busy, too fatigued, or in too much pain (or running to the bathroom) to do it yet. Hopefully this weekend will allow me some solitude.

In the meantime, I have significantly changed my diet this week to eliminate all carbohydrates, sugar, dairy, and any processed foods. Pain seems to be better and frequency is more spaced out (but ........; read it will get worse before it gets better :grr:), so I hope it works. It truly sucks that I can't eat what I used to, but vaping will allow me to continue to taste the foods (mostly sweets/desserts) that I can no longer have in their original form. I haven't noticed a VG sensitivity myself, but I think I have too much going on to even notice, if there was. Most of my liquids have been 50/50 due to my pre-made coil tank usage anyway, so it may be affecting me in some way, but not as significantly/noticeably as it does @Nathan Vaksman .
    There are a few UC sufferers here. Quit-smoking disease some call it. I got it about 9mths into this. I hope you consider a doctor's care, especially if you are also bleeding. Some of the medications are cheap. The info I got from medical groups is that some smoking may help prolong remission. Gl

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sad to hear about your issues.. We all have something...

But as far as your balls, unless you have been playing with sex lube for the last 50 or 60 years, I highly doubt vaping had a thing to do with it (Most sex lubes are PG/VG and flavorings.. just your average 0MG eliquid.. and even then I doubt that played any part in your issue there...).
    Nicotine (and everything in eliquid, except most flavorings) have already been proven not to cause cancers.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I have decided if I ever get a horrible illness, I will make sure to insist that it was the last thing I did that caused it. Took a drink of water right before my cancer diagnosis? It was the water's fault. Took a hike? Same thing.

Or, I could just move to CA and they would do that for me.

Correlation does not equal cassation…..
    Correlation does not equal cassation…

Sigh. Never mind.

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I am vaping for about 4 years after 50 years analog. After I quit analog and started vaping, I had a c-diff infection that accompanied
    by a heart attack and now IBS or Crowns, my doctor trying to reduce the inflammation with different quiet expensive drugs so far I am not ok. Heart burn ........ stomach bloating etc.
    I am MTL vaper at low wattage using 90% VG, 3% nicotine with sweetener and cherry with vanilla flavoring, DIY. Now is the worst I just diagnosed with testicular cancer. May be related to vaping, don't know. My lung functions actually improved and so is COPD. Everything bad started after I quit analog in about 4 months.

They say it takes years, if not decades, for tumors to develop

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2018/10/18/science-surgery-how-quickly-do-tumours-develop/

back in 2007 I had difficulty with swallowing so the doc stuck a scope down there to see what was going on.

He said at that time, that my entire throat is covered in precancerous cells and if I wanted a chance for life then I needed to quit smoking immediately - and that would only give me a chance at avoiding full blown throat cancer.

Of course, I couldn't quit smoking back then, although I tried. I didn't make the quit until I tried vaping in 2014.

I still have difficulty swallowing although I've never gone through another check to see what has happened since then, but the one thing I learned in all this, is that cancer takes a very long time to develop.

Therefore, if you've developed something like cancer, it began long before you began vaping.

Your main problem seems to be a more advanced age coupled with a lifetime of not taking care of yourself plus some hereditary issues most likely... S just decided to HTF now for you..

I'm sorry to hear of your problems and illness, and I wish you Godspeed in your recovery.

Last edited:

DebbieNY

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 11, 2013
    New York City
    There are a few UC sufferers here. Quit-smoking disease some call it. I got it about 9mths into this. I hope you consider a doctor's care, especially if you are also bleeding. Some of the medications are cheap. The info I got from medical groups is that some smoking may help prolong remission. Gl

Of course, I see my doctor about every 3 months and am on daily medication. I already told my doctor about the diet that I'm trying, in hopes that I can avoid having to go on Biologics. Noticing some improvement, but I cheated at a party a couple of weekends ago (because that cake from Mother Mousse SO freakin' rocks! :drool:), so I've suffered a bit of a set back. I hadn't realized how hard it is to eliminate all carbohydrates and many 'dairy-free' items contain soy, gums, and/or starches that I can't have. The diet I'm following is called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), created especially for my IBD issue, so I have high hopes of success. Currently handling 12mg with a 0.5 sub-ohm coil just fine (from 6mg), so I may have a little more room to bump the nic up. If I can stay on the medication course that I am already on for the rest of my life, I'm fine with it, but those biologics... :eek: :danger:

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread