Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I hate to admit it, I have had more canker sores since I stopped smoking and started vaping. Never had them as a smoker. And yes, it is a supposed symptom of quitting, though I tend not to believe that. I recently had a real bad one that was driving me crazy. I do use PG and I vape about 2-3ml a day and I have been vaping about 15months.

To get rid of it the canker sore, I rinsed with salt water, and then dabbed hydrogen peroxide on the sore using a qtip, then rinsed with mouthwash. That is what helped (me) get rid of it. If you have a canker, I suggest immediately starting a 3-4 times a day rinse routine. They can take 2-3 weeks to fully heal BTW.

Additionally, to help prevent them, clean your cartridges, drip tips, or cartomizers regularly!!! I continued using PG through it all, as I don't believe it is a reaction to PG. However, in your case it may very well be a reaction to PG, so trial and error are needed.

Best of luck - stay away from spicy food for a while also :(

GMoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
MA
Hi all,
I began vaping about a month ago and I started with the blu cigs which have cartimizes with pg so I upgraded to the riva 510se and I am now using vg juice but the canker sores are still there.

Can anyone who suffers with cankers tell me if they will go away?

Thanks,
Top Jimi

Just so you know, the BLU cartomizers are 100% VG not PG.

pAth77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2010
Bay Area
Canker sores are essentially due to type 1 herpes simplex virus (HSV-1), but on rare occasions can be a result of HSV-2. Once it gains entry into your system, the herpes virus will remain dormant in nerve endings. Periods of stress will activate the virus, and that's when the canker sores pop up. Any type of stress can activate HSV, including emotional and physical stressors. Once you have any type of HSV, you have it for life. Anti-viral medications are only used for controlling the frequency of outbreaks. But because HSV-1 is such a benign infection, anti-virals are not prescribed for it an medications are aimed at alleviating the symptoms. You can pick up some over-the-counter ointments like "Kanka," which is a topical anesthetic (benzocaine). As mentioned by previous posters, keeping the sore clean (with warm salt water rinses) is a good idea. Otherwise, stay away from things that will irritate the sore (i.e. spicy food, acidic food like orange juice, etc.).

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
For me I believe it was not enough water. Can you feel your lips drying out? I did and had never had a lip blister/canker sore. I increased water like a camel preparing to cross the desert as I had read here on ECF. Haven't had another one since. I understand it could have been a symptom of quitting smoking that just happened. I think it was being dehydrated. Hope you're better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread