Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
I'm trying to get into it.. but I just can't - and not sure the exact reason..

Maybe its because my brain is already on information overload..
(trying to cram tons of rba lessons for when mine arrive next week)

Here are some things that are also discouraging me from trying:

1. I feel like I will never be able to make anything even close to some of the juices I've tried.
Maybe I set my expectations too high already?

2. I don't have the setup space right now to be able to dedicate a ton of room to DIY

3. I feel like once I make some juices, and they end up terrible... I will just give up.

4. I like buying/supporting juice vendors and have basically found my ADV's from a few places. So not really 'wasting' $ on juices anymore.

5. I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to mixing. I work a ton of hours and barely have enough time to enjoy the vape gear I already own. I probably won't be able to play w/ my rba's that arrive tomorrow until the weekend.

6. I never paid any attention in Chemistry :)

Not sure if I'm alone on this one, but someone please help motivate me!

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I wasn't interested either when I first started. Then I thought I should be and made a half-hearted attempt which was pretty bad and didn't try it again for a year.

If you don't want to, I say don't.

An easy way to ease into it would be to get a base very close to what you currently vape and buy flavoring from one of the suppliers that sell the same flavorings they use in their own pre-made liquid. Try the pre-made first, and if you like it buy their flavoring.

Even if you don't make all of your liquid, you'll save a bit if you can make a couple basic liquids.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Some like to cook. Some don't. Some turn into gourmet chefs in their kitchen and some stay with down-home cooking. Some grab fast food. Some frequent french cuisine restaurants. Whatever floats yer boat. Same thing with setups. I don't like to tinker. I don't like to fiddle with and fix things. Its gotta be ready to go out of the box... simple and user-friendly. At home, I do the cooking and hubby does the fixing. I make my juice and am trying to get hubby into RBA... a hard sell as he neither smokes nor vapes. :ohmy:

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
DIY is certainly not for everyone and while it may be cheaper in the long run I'd rather spend my free time with my family so spending a little extra money to plug and play is well worth it. I love the juices I vape and am more than happy with my hardware so why mess with a good thing....

Exactly my concern. I just know that I will probably end up wasting a lot more $ buying a bunch of supplies that will probably just collect dust if I don't master it right away.. I'm super impatient and know I will just end up buying more juice I already like rather than spend the time to get good at it. Just one of my flaws I guess

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
I wasn't interested either when I first started. Then I thought I should be and made a half-hearted attempt which was pretty bad and didn't try it again for a year.

If you don't want to, I say don't.

An easy way to ease into it would be to get a base very close to what you currently vape and buy flavoring from one of the suppliers that sell the same flavorings they use in their own pre-made liquid. Try the pre-made first, and if you like it buy their flavoring.

Even if you don't make all of your liquid, you'll save a bit if you can make a couple basic liquids.

You would be surprised how much people have been pushing me into DIY - I almost felt like I was stupid for not mixing my own stuff.. Right now I'm happy with my juice rotation so probably will be better to hold off for awhile.

But you never know how things will change in a year from now!

It might be impossible to get nicotine or juices and I will be forced to DIY in the back of a tool shed hiding from the Vape Police lol

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I personally do not think that DIY is for everyone. You have to pay attention towhat you are doing if you use stronger nic like 48, 60 or 100mg.

You have to carve out the time to do it.

You save money in the long run but not a lot in the short haul:)

It is worth it to me because this way I know what is in my vape; I can have a variety of strengths on hand without ordering 12 bottles of juice in 6 flavors and 3 mgs; I am starting to save money and I clean houses for my extra money.

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
I personally do not think that DIY is for everyone. You have to pay attention towhat you are doing if you use stronger nic like 48, 60 or 100mg.

You have to carve out the time to do it.

You save money in the long run but not a lot in the short haul:)

It is worth it to me because this way I know what is in my vape; I can have a variety of strengths on hand without ordering 12 bottles of juice in 6 flavors and 3 mgs; I am starting to save money and I clean houses for my extra money.

Luckily the few vendors I goto seem to have pretty good quality control for their mixing environment so I'm pretty content knowing everything should be safe, but I know exactly what you mean!

And you're right.. being able to mix the nic levels myself would certainly be helpful because I'm trying to cut down my levels anyways. I started at 24 and I'm down to 12-18mg.. and I feel like all the 24's I still have left are a waste and won't get used since I'm trying not to go back up in nic levels

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
DIY isn't for everyone...as has been mentioned. I was reluctant to get into it myself, thinking a lot like you, that I wouldn't be able to get the flavor I liked, and it'd take up a lot of time and money etc. etc. But in the end, it just seemed the logical way to go if I wanted to save money in the long run. So I picked the brains of a couple of people I knew and trusted that did DIY, and jumped in when I had a bit of extra money to invest in a few things to get started. I have a big advantage, however. I only vape ONE flavor. Menthol. So it was just a matter of figuring out proportions and levels of "ice" and "sweet" etc. that I liked. I made a few very small samples...had a few bombs. But I took copious notes and after a few days I'd nailed the basic recipe. I continued to tweak a bit over the months...and as time went by I discovered I needed to reduce the percentage of flavoring I was using. I also continued to reduce my nicotine mg. gradually.

Anyway...for me it wasn't that big a deal. And now I can knock out 120ml. of juice in about 10 minutes or less. So it's saving me money and time. But that's my story. Won't work out for everyone, y'know?

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
DIY isn't for everyone...as has been mentioned. I was reluctant to get into it myself, thinking a lot like you, that I wouldn't be able to get the flavor I liked, and it'd take up a lot of time and money etc. etc. But in the end, it just seemed the logical way to go if I wanted to save money in the long run. So I picked the brains of a couple of people I knew and trusted that did DIY, and jumped in when I had a bit of extra money to invest in a few things to get started. I have a big advantage, however. I only vape ONE flavor. Menthol. So it was just a matter of figuring out proportions and levels of "ice" and "sweet" etc. that I liked. I made a few very small samples...had a few bombs. But I took copious notes and after a few days I'd nailed the basic recipe. I continued to tweak a bit over the months...and as time went by I discovered I needed to reduce the percentage of flavoring I was using. I also continued to reduce my nicotine mg. gradually.

Anyway...for me it wasn't that big a deal. And now I can knock out 120ml. of juice in about 10 minutes or less. So it's saving me money and time. But that's my story. Won't work out for everyone, y'know?

haha yea if I only vaped one flavor I would be all over this in a heartbeat :)

and thanks for your story I'm always interested to see how other people started out!

I'm sure I could find something simple I could vape all day.. but the months of research already stresses me out just thinking about it haha

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
No one intellectual endeavor fits all! We each have our own talents. It's like that square peg and the round hole.. if it fits.. GO for it!1 If it doesn't fit, buy juice.

Well sure, but when I continue to see comments or get told 'why don't you just DIY, it's so much easier and cheaper and blah blah' I have to consider the reasoning and benefits to the entire process.

So far, it seems like much more work than benefit at first. Which is the main dilemma I'm still facing.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
There are 2 things I wanted to do DIY since I started vaping and that's Recoil and wick and make my own juices,And to learn both of them has been exciting and a money saver not only that but just the pleasure of doing it myself is very self satisfying.There were times when buying juices online and I didn't time out things right or mail was slow or being indecisive and didn't get juice in time and found myself in panic alot of times, the same with ordering vivi nova heads ect.I tend not to do this well.And now I can look at 30 flavors I have, with a stock of nic juice and make whatever I want whenever I want and not panic.And man is it cheaper and easy to do.You can make a good juice using just 2 flavors and have it just as good as any vendor,Also I'm not a chemist and bad with math,Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I mixed some juice this morning. Then I did the finish sanding of a custom molded and shaped frame that I started yesterday out of poplar wood. Finished up by cutting some threading on a brass fitting on a wooden flag pole. Tomorrow I'm going to fell a tree and cut some sections to be used for making felt hat molds and the rest will be cut into firewood. Hopefully there will be enough time tomorrow to power snake a drain to cut some roots out.

I don't know why anyone buys frames. It's easier to mold and shape them yourself.

I don't know why anyone buys threaded brass fittings when you can easily cut them yourself.

I don't know why anyone would hire a tree service because taking trees down is real easy.

I don't know why anyone would buy a hat when they are the easiest thing to make and in whatever shape and color you want.

I don't know why anyone would hire RotoRooter or a plumber to clear roots and clogs out of drains when it is nothing to pop the cleanout fitting out and feed the snake in. With these pneumatic foot switches it's a one man task.

Seriously, why listen to others who ask that kind of question and why would you feel pressure to do so? You don't have an urge to start gathering up electrical and electronics tools, wood cutting, shaping, and molding tools, plumbing tools, and thread cutting tools? No, you don't. I'm sure you're quite content to let that nutty Hoosier do all that crap himself.

I have a drive to do a number of things myself, but not others. I'll hang drywall, but I won't finish it. I'll deck a roof, but I won't shingle it. I'll make frames, but I have someone cut the glass and matting. I'll do leatherworking, but I won't tan hide. I can, but hate to set windows, but enjoy trimming them. I enjoy cooking and mixing juice. I could make my own mods, but would rather pay someone to do it for me.

Go with what you have a drive for and leave the crazies to their own thing. Trust me, us crazies are just fine that way.

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
I mixed some juice this morning. Then I did the finish sanding of a custom molded and shaped frame that I started yesterday out of poplar wood. Finished up by cutting some threading on a brass fitting on a wooden flag pole. Tomorrow I'm going to fell a tree and cut some sections to be used for making felt hat molds and the rest will be cut into firewood. Hopefully there will be enough time tomorrow to power snake a drain to cut some roots out.

I don't know why anyone buys frames. It's easier to mold and shape them yourself.

I don't know why anyone buys threaded brass fittings when you can easily cut them yourself.

I don't know why anyone would hire a tree service because taking trees down is real easy.

I don't know why anyone would buy a hat when they are the easiest thing to make and in whatever shape and color you want.

I don't know why anyone would hire RotoRooter or a plumber to clear roots and clogs out of drains when it is nothing to pop the cleanout fitting out and feed the snake in. With these pneumatic foot switches it's a one man task.

Seriously, why listen to others who ask that kind of question and why would you feel pressure to do so? You don't have an urge to start gathering up electrical and electronics tools, wood cutting, shaping, and molding tools, plumbing tools, and thread cutting tools? No, you don't. I'm sure you're quite content to let that nutty Hoosier do all that crap himself.

I have a drive to do a number of things myself, but not others. I'll hang drywall, but I won't finish it. I'll deck a roof, but I won't shingle it. I'll make frames, but I have someone cut the glass and matting. I'll do leatherworking, but I won't tan hide. I can, but hate to set windows, but enjoy trimming them. I enjoy cooking and mixing juice. I could make my own mods, but would rather pay someone to do it for me.

Go with what you have a drive for and leave the crazies to their own thing. Trust me, us crazies are just fine that way.

LMAO - This post just made my long weekend at work a little bit better :)

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
There are 2 things I wanted to do DIY since I started vaping and that's Recoil and wick and make my own juices,And to learn both of them has been exciting and a money saver not only that but just the pleasure of doing it myself is very self satisfying.There were times when buying juices online and I didn't time out things right or mail was slow or being indecisive and didn't get juice in time and found myself in panic alot of times, the same with ordering vivi nova heads ect.I tend not to do this well.And now I can look at 30 flavors I have, with a stock of nic juice and make whatever I want whenever I want and not panic.And man is it cheaper and easy to do.You can make a good juice using just 2 flavors and have it just as good as any vendor,Also I'm not a chemist and bad with math,Just my opinion.

I'm the worst with planning stuff out myself. Luckily I have a B&M store pretty close so I don't panic too bad (unless its Sunday when he's not open) but I deff understand what you mean.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
I'm the worst with planning stuff out myself. Luckily I have a B&M store pretty close so I don't panic too bad (unless its Sunday when he's not open) but I deff understand what you mean.

To some people Brick and mortar stores are their only source for everything,But I'm sure you order online as well.

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
I am personally dying to try DIY juices and my stuff is going to be here tomorrow. I like the idea of adding flavors to an unflavored 24mg base. I bought everything I need, 4 flavors, some EM, 250ml 50/50 24mg unflavored base. I am ready to get going, a bit nervous but still excited. I prefer simple flavors, one flavor juices. I suppose it's just trial and error. We will see lol. I would like to create "my" perfect flavors of strawberry, peach, raspberry and chocolate. Like I said, my flavors are simple. But like everyone has said, it's not for everyone and I would like to make my favs and save a bit of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread