Can't stop coughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohioguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Madison, Indiana USA
OK I got this thing, I am still very hopeful but having problems. The first two days I just played around taking a few puffs now and then, everything seemed fine. On the third day with the e-cig I left my analogs at home and used the e-cig for about 8 hours while shopping and running errands. My throat was sore, I had a constant dry cough that wouldn't go away. Went back to the analogs and it took about two more days before the cough settled down. I just picked the e-cig up after not using it for a few days and can already feel the cough coming back. Any else have a very bad time when first using the e-cigs?

I am thinking about ordering the non-PG formula from Johnson Creek and giving that a try. I have tried the patch, and the gum, and was hoping this might be the product to help me quit smoking.

SpyderDan

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Long Beach, California
Sounds to me like you might just be experiencing normal symptoms of being off the analogs. Once you're off of them, you start coughing up the damage you've been doing. Getting back on them suppresses this.

Just like it is for the typical heavy smoker first thing in the morning after going without cigs while asleep, and then you have a cigarette and the coughing is suppressed again.

I went through the same thing, and it was bad for the first week. Then everything started to get a lot better, and I could breathe, smell, and taste again.

Trying a non-PG liquid would certainly not hurt, though. :thumb:

MasonM

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2008
Florida
Every time I've quit the analogs I've developed a cough. It's quite normal and is part of the process of your lungs clearing out all that tar and crap.

It's also possible that you may be inhaling the vapor a little deeper than you would with the analogs. I caught myself doing this yesterday and made a point of inhaling it the same as I would the analog smoke.

When quitting cigarettes (analogs) a cough is unavoidable and is part of the healing process. Last time I quit it lasted for a couple of weeks but finally went away and I could breath much better.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I quit smoking for vaping five months ago and never had trouble with a cough. Occasional flavours like Janty heavy shag irritated me but nothing too serious.

In the last three or four days I've developed a bad cough every time I vape anything other than pure glycerine or propylene glycol. Neither of these are a problem so I'm trying to reintroduce commercial eliquid with flavourings and nicotine gradually to see which ones I'm sensitive to.

It's become a bit of a struggle to get anything with nicotine now but I'm still enjoying the habit of vaping straight pg and glycerine.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
When I quit smoking because of coughing, my cough disappeared in a week. I had no problem when I began e-smoking last January. But in about six months' time, a little cough returned. Now it bothers my wife that I cough at night. It IS a bummer. If I avoid e-cigs, and use only snus or Stonewall dissolvables, no cough. So something about vaping is making me cough.

Heavy Shag, or cigar, will make me cough every time.

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
In the past when I've stopped smoking analogues I'd start coughing within just an hour or two and would feel like I couldn't catch my breath - my chest felt so tight. I could stop it all by just smoking one analogue.

It makes sense, if you stop the analogues you'll get the cough. The tiny hairs in your lungs which were killed off by the real cigs start to grow back and begin moving all the rubbish out. The movement causes irritation thus you cough.

Glad you're sticking with it by looking for alternatives. Ordering the Johnson's Creek sounds a grand idea. Best of luck!

Lil

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Two other guys at my office and I got e-cigs at the same time. Neither one of them had any trouble at all inhaling them.
Me, on the other hand, I had a HELLUVA time, coughing like crazy, like smoking a big Cohiba. It took about a week for my lungs to get used to it, then it was fine!
I guess everybody is different.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
When I quit smoking because of coughing, my cough disappeared in a week. I had no problem when I began e-smoking last January. But in about six months' time, a little cough returned. Now it bothers my wife that I cough at night. It IS a bummer. If I avoid e-cigs, and use only snus or Stonewall dissolvables, no cough. So something about vaping is making me cough.

Heavy Shag, or cigar, will make me cough every time.
This is scary because you are one of the longest users, most likely to show long-term effects. Is there any liquid that does not make you cough, or is it equally bad for VG, PG, homebrew, low nic, high nic, etc?

Kii

Nov 18, 2008
I've been using the e-cig for about 2 months now, and recently, I started developing a phlegmy scratchy cough. My friend said it was all the moisture from the e-cig vapor thats making me cough, but I am also getting a few cold symptoms. But the e-cig vapor seems to feel more harsh to me now... I dunno... is it the vapor?? Is this bad for you?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
PG is a humectant, meaning it draws water from or to itself to maintain about a 70% humidity. If you live in an area with dry air (I live in the humid tropics), then your throat will become coated with PG and will move moisture from the throat to the air. That will dry out your throat. Scratchy, rough feeling. Also makes you prone to catching a cold.

Drink more water. Suck hard candies, particularly honey ones, between e-smokes.

Frankie, I haven't figured out the cough yet. I've not used homemade stuff in a month or more. No VG liquid for a month or more. All commmerical PG-based liquid. I'll try to keep better track of what causes what!

ohioguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2008
Madison, Indiana USA
Thanks for the ideas. I do know that one of the side effects of my blood pressure medication is a dry unproductive cough. The air is very dry (indoor and out) this time of year,thanks Bob. I don't think the cough is my lungs cleaning out (that would be great) because it comes on to soon, I put down the analogs, start vaping and a few hours later I am coughing like mad. Maybe it is a combanation of not smoking plus my medicin plus the dry air.

I am going to order the Johnson Creek non PG, drink lots of water, hard candies, and hope for a different outcome.

athanmiddleton

Moved On
Oct 19, 2011
USA
www.howtostopacough.org
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
ecigs dries you out BIG time....drink lots and lots of liquids. This may help to relieve the dryness and sore throat amongst other problems...vg can be very thick and not wick well.....when you order ask if they thin their vg to pg consistency. Most vendors are happy to comply and it makes it much easier to vape.
:)

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...coughing/developing a cough when first starting vaping is common...usually take a week to calm down...drink water while vaping since it is believed by many to cause mild dehydration of the throat and soft tissues...vary your method of inhalation and hang in there, the coughing should clear up.........
madjack:2cool:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Try lower nic

Try juices with a bit of Vg in them (you don't need to go to 100% VG which works poorly with many methods of vaping like most cartos and tanks). Try 20% Vg with cartos, 20-30% with tanks, 20-50% with atomizers.

Drag into your mouth first, then inhale

Use manual batteries to have control over your hit

You did not say what ecig you are using so that makes it hard to help. If you have said what you were using we may have been able to suggest different cartomizers etc.

Last edited:

Morgythekilla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2011
MN
I know the exact cough your talking about, and it has everything to do with the juice and the topper your using. Try a bunch of different sample juices, and you'll find one that doesn't make you cough. I know that some vg's make me cough like hell, and some pgs, (but less) do that too. Also, when I am using an old topper, I cough a lot. There is somthing about old juice and atty's that makes me cough. Like everyone else has said, drink tons of water. Hope you find the right juice and topper. Good luck!

Edit: I would never knock Johnsoncreek smoke juice because they are what got me on ecigs in the first place but their VG makes me cough. Nitelite juices have never made me cough once, and they are amazing..

Edit #2: I also agree with everyone in saying that it takes a while to get used to vaping.. Its vapor, not smoke, so you'll get used to it! :)

Last edited:

mattie279

Sep 30, 2011
United Stats
The first 4 days I started vaping/quit smoking I had a sore throat from hell. Couldn't eat. Sinus infection, double ear infection. It sucked.I figured it was allergies. My kid and best friend were both telling me it was my PV. (Even though my BF was vaping too) I stuck with it and it all went away in about a week. I still claim it was allergies, but who knows? It could have been getting used to vaping. It has been over a month since I quit and I am still waiting for the cough. My BF got it about a week after we started vaping, but she had only been smoking again for about a year. I haven't quit since 1991 and that was only for 2 months... Guess my lungs are jam packed. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread