Carto-tanks, Ego-twists, Vamos, and octo-RBA... Next Step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketokarma

Jul 14, 2010
CT
I started e-cigs a couple years ago, with some rebranded, over-priced cig-alike that tasted like an ashtray. I then found Vapor-4-Life and discovered FLAVORS and longer lasting, different colored batteries. While using V4L, I learned about refilling the "disposable" cartos and started buying their juice (which was, of course, overpriced as well). It ended up becoming too cumbersome to have to carry spare cartos and batteries, plus I never knew when a cart was going to burn out, a battery was going to die, why sometimes my juice would burn, and inconsistent vapor hits, and it was just SO much easier to go to the store, buy a pack of marbs, a bic, and light-up. So after about 6months of using e-cigs, I went back to full-fledged smoker for about a year and half.

While working at a job I, noticed a man using a larger e-cig that was providing constant clouds of vapor. I talked to him a little bit about his set-up(s). When I approached him I acted like I had been there and done that, was convinced that I had already tried the best e-cigs could offer me (I know that all of you have dealt with the 'know-it-all' type that I'm referring to, if you weren't the type at one time yourself) and whatever this guy was trying just wasn't going to work for me.... Long story short, he convinced me to try an ego-twist with a nova tank or cart-tank. I tried the smoktech nova tank, the stardust clearo, kanger T3, and carto-tanks all within the next month or so on the EgoC-twist, but still using V4L juice (I didn't know just how much they were ripping me off, and was afraid to try another vendor in case their juice tasted like garbage).
The nova kept giving me burnt or dry hits
The stardust gurgled a bit and muted everything
the kanger would have been my favorite if it hadn't kept flooding somehow

In the end, I was right back where I started (one could almost say), with cartomozers, but now I had a tank and a vastly superior battery. Carto-tanks on ego-twists = months of happy usage (for the most part). I keep reading about all these other highly recommended items, and many of them are things that I have tried and tried again, because I think "I must be doing something wrong if I'm not able to get as good a vape from my wick-style as I am with my cartos.". However, there were also things that I hadn't tried (many I STILL haven't), because I got confused, it started to get complicated, people had too many warnings about certain products, or it was all just greek to me (even broken down barney-style).

As far as juices go, while I was pretty much content with cart-tanks, I decided, I was far less content with V4L juice flavors and their inconsistency in flavor, TH (usually too HARSH, felt like a tire-fire in my throat), and vapor, while never stellar, would go down randomly on a bottle to bottle basis. So I started looking around, but then the choices became overwhelming! I ended up at MtBaker after trying a couple different brands and reading reviews, relatively happy with them and since taste is a personal preference, I don't expect much guidance in terms of e-juice vendors.

I then tarted trying to find better tanks (the chrome ones started to peel), and have tried the AGR, and smok pyrex (using one right now on my ego-twist). I still use the stupid chrome ones because I can't seem to find a reasonable plain-jain tank in stainless or aluminum.

I then STARTED looking into "mods" and purchased a Vamo. I really like it, so I wonder why it's so dang cheap next to something like a provari. I could buy a few more vamos for the price of one. Then there are bottom feeders, boxes, and a whole slew of devices that either are really complicated, or just people making them SEEM complicated by giving really wordy descriptions to make them sound more technical, while still somehow being kind-of vague... ?
While I was looking into mods, I also started (again) trying to understand the more advanced delivery systems (or less as the case may be). So far the only "more advanced" thing I have been brave enough to try is the octopus-RBA for dripping, and that's only because it's simple, and I can buy pre-made coils that are easy to change out. However, I still find myself going back to the carto-tanks for their ease of use. I really do like my vamo, but it's not built for a rough and tumble lifestyle (in all fairness, nothing e-cig seems to be though). Is there REALLY something better?

This whole post is basically to give y'all a run-down on what I have used and what I currently use to help you gauge where I'm at right now. I feel like I have plateaued at the ego-twist/carto-tanks in terms of ease of use, consistent vapor, good flavors, travel-size, and economical functionality, and was wonderign if there is a "better place" to be. I feel like a novice still because my most advanced combination is a Vamo/octo-RBA, and the RBA isn't even doing anything better than the cart-tanks besides maybe allowing me to try new juices, but then I have to rinse the wicks before each new juice. I am looking for something that might be a little more reliable and less of a pain than my nightly refill, recharge, and PRAY that my cart doesn't kick, flood, or burn out right after I refilled the tank, ritual I have been performing each night, and it would be nice if there was something like an "otter-box defender" for e-cigs.

Where can I/Should I go from here? Is there a "better"? Something bomb-proof, consistent, hassle-free/minimal hassle, and long lasting between refills/charging?
I am also looking for ways to just get the most out of my juices when I'm home (VP and flavor are most important to me).

I just don't feel like where I'm at is the best I can get. Any help would be appreciated!

TIA for any feedback.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Here’s some ideas that I had based on your requirements:

1. Bomb-proof/minimal hassle – a bottom feeder is the first thing that comes to mind. Specifically the Reo. Top it with something sturdy (I usually use a shorty carto) and it’s about as bomb proof and pocket friendly as they come. I’ve dropped mine, sat on it, and even had it fall into a full bucket of paint. It looks pretty beat up, but it still keeps on working like new.

2. Hugely sturdy/minor hassle – a Provari with a good tank. Your Vamo is a good device (I have the V2 and the V3 myself) but build-wise, it’s a far cry from the Provari. Top it with an equally sturdy tank, such as one from Valley View Vapes and a high quality carto (Ikenvape) and you’ll get a more consistent, durable setup than your Vamo and a lower-end tank.

The downside of the above two options is price.

3. Get the most from juice at home – definitely go the rebuildable route. Since you already have an Octopus, try building your own coils. It’s not a bad RBA given the price but the coils it comes with (at least the ones that came with mine) were pretty craptastic. I got a lot more enjoyment out of it after building my own.

If you find you like the process of building your own, as the next step perhaps give a genesis style RBA a shot, specifically the Smok RSST. It’s not the best one out there, but it’s very user-friendly and pretty cheap these days. If that hits the spot, there’s a lot of other options available that will reward you with excellent flavor at the expense of not being nearly as travel-friendly and easy to set up as options 1 and 2.

bucketokarma

Jul 14, 2010
CT
Thank you for the insight. I did know that I should look into a feeder, but the idea seemed daunting at the time. Now that I'm at a wall, I'm willing to give it another look and do more research into it.

I forgot about Vamo having 1st gen, V2, and V3. Mine is a V2, and I'm on my second one because my first one started to randomly turn off (I had to push the main button five times to turn it back on) whenever it felt like it (usually while I was trying to take a drag) and then the button became more and more difficult to activate the device. So the provari really is the be-all-end-all of tube mods, and worth the considerable price difference? What about all these newer fancier gadgets they keep coming out with?

The octopus honestly didn't impress me that much. For all the raving about dripping I have heard, I was finding that it wasn't doing anything all that much better than my cartos (once I find the sweet-spot for my juice, with that cart, and on the particular battery).
I will look into making coils though and hope that provides improvement.

Again, thank you for your insight and helpful post.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Good luck with your search. Definitely check out the Reo section on ECF. Outstanding resource on everything Reo (and bottom feeders in general).

As to your questions, there’s probably a few thousand posts debating whether the Provari is worth it. For me it is – in fact, I have two (a V2 and a V2.5 mini). The only way to find out for sure if it’s worth it for you is to get one in your hands. You can pick up a blem or a 2.0 for $135 or so at the moment and, if you find it’s not to your liking, can sell it for very close to what you paid for it. I think Provape has a coupon deal for 5% off today as well (Labor Day).

As to the next newest and greatest....always something new around the corner. Personally, I’m looking at some DNA 20 tube mods myself. And the Innokin VTR. The search for fun toys never stops!

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
The octopus honestly didn't impress me that much. For all the raving about dripping I have heard, I was finding that it wasn't doing anything all that much better than my cartos (once I find the sweet-spot for my juice, with that cart, and on the particular battery).

airflow seems to be the down side to the octopus. grimgreen did a video on them and he plugged the stock holes with tooth picks and drilled a hole where it should be. i just got 2 Squids(the Octopus's little brother) and 1 Octopus and the Squids are without a doubt one of the best things i have used. more flavor, better vapor and the throat hit was so hard that for the first hour i used it it actually make me cough. the Squid is different because from the factory the air hole is where it should be. i dry burned mine before i dripped on it the first time so i could adjust the coils(they looked like crap from the factory). im using it at 2Ω on an EGO twist and it has taken flavors that were just OK to a whole new level. when the coil or wick needs to be replaced i will rebuild it probably with cotton but the silicon wick is nice since you can just wash it, dry it and burn it to clean the coils, cant do that with cotton.

bambloo!™

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
SAN DIEGO
Rbas- I have the mini and reg octo and a7 and they're nothing compared to the trident I got for $80, in fact I'll probably never use them again :/.there's a value curve in vaping additions and I believe if you like dripping vs. Tanks than a good rba is a no brainer.

Mods- vv vs. mech is all up to you, after a while you might want both its purely choice.
If you want one end all device, figure out vv our mech and get a bulletproof one. If you start to vape as a hobby and want to expand your collection, try em all :D

Again it's all about your personal choice and if you can justify spending to experiment and grow your collection, but whatever you do, do it because you want to.:)

Mylt1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
Virginia
bambloo!™;10570512 said:
Rbas- I have the mini and reg octo and a7 and they're nothing compared to the trident I got for $80, in fact I'll probably never use them again :/.there's a value curve in vaping additions and I believe if you like dripping vs. Tanks than a good rba is a no brainer.

Mods- vv vs. mech is all up to you, after a while you might want both its purely choice.
If you want one end all device, figure out vv our mech and get a bulletproof one. If you start to vape as a hobby and want to expand your collection, try em all :D

Again it's all about your personal choice and if you can justify spending to experiment and grow your collection, but whatever you do, do it because you want to.:)

you can send me your A7, Squid and Octopus. i can give them a good home. ;)

luvinit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Northern NY, United States
My goodness, are you sure you aren't me??? Your journey is EXACTLY like mine and I'm in the same place. Took me a long time, and a lot of money, to figure out I really like the Twist. I also use carto tanks but just recently bought three different clearo's... don't like any of them. They all mute the flavors and taste burnt, even when I turn the voltage down. So back to the carto tanks. I think I'm just gonna stick to the set-up I have.. good ol Twists and about 12 carto tanks always full. Good luck to you, I hope you find what you're seeking:)

bucketokarma

Jul 14, 2010
CT
Thanks again for the replies.

I do plan on taking the time to learn what I can about feeders and more about RBAs.

There is just SO MUCH out there, and it seems like many new items still have problems actually being better than a "traditional" carto. I know that everyone says DD is the place to be and most people will end up there anyhow, so why waste money going through the other steps?
Is a feeder an all-in-one version of dripping?

Mrs. G

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This thread has been extremely helpful. I have wanted to try dripping but for a lot of reasons I don't want, nor need anything that is too "fiddly". I love my Vamo V2 and had pretty much decided to go with the octopus or the squid. Having read through I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on a squid.
At the moment I'm loving the Evod BCC and while I'm extremely content to just stay put, I want to at least TRY dripping. I can't do the whole rebuilding and wrapping thing (my hands won't let me. They are mean! Not quite as mean as my legs but I don't say too much about that because if you think the compulsion to constantly try the newest shiny thing or upgrade ecigs is bad, you should see what it's like with a wheelchair!:blink:) The squid sounds like just the ticket.
I'd love to see/hear what you find next on your journey. I feel like I have found my zen but...ohhh! Look at that shiny thingy on that youtube review...I must have been a magpie in a past life! lol

Relaxed5311

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Des Moines, IA, USA
Thank you for the insight. I did know that I should look into a feeder, but the idea seemed daunting at the time. Now that I'm at a wall, I'm willing to give it another look and do more research into it.

I forgot about Vamo having 1st gen, V2, and V3. Mine is a V2, and I'm on my second one because my first one started to randomly turn off (I had to push the main button five times to turn it back on) whenever it felt like it (usually while I was trying to take a drag) and then the button became more and more difficult to activate the device. So the provari really is the be-all-end-all of tube mods, and worth the considerable price difference? What about all these newer fancier gadgets they keep coming out with?

What brand Carto's are you using in your tanks? there are many choices and different ohms. Is it a low resist? a standard resist?
personally for me I have tried carto;s from all over the web, I have settled on ikenvape they were a pain to get all the time, but stock seems to be much better with the new website and all.

Tanks are all over I see IBTANKED recommend allot and for around $23 you can get a plain 19mm (diameter of tube) tank
personally I use a locking UDCT style tank from madvapes they are anodized even now

What Juice is your ADV?

bucketokarma

Jul 14, 2010
CT
What brand Carto's are you using in your tanks? there are many choices and different ohms. Is it a low resist? a standard resist?
personally for me I have tried carto;s from all over the web, I have settled on ikenvape they were a pain to get all the time, but stock seems to be much better with the new website and all.

Tanks are all over I see IBTANKED recommend allot and for around $23 you can get a plain 19mm (diameter of tube) tank
personally I use a locking UDCT style tank from madvapes they are anodized even now

What Juice is your ADV?

I have been all over the place on cart resistance and am mainly sitting with smoktech 2.0-ohms flanged and pre-punched since they are readily available and work in my vamo as well as my ego-twists without too much problem. I have the occasional "dud" or one that will work for a day and then be garbage the next morning, but it isn't too bad.
I am definitely sick and tired of all the chrome peeling in my tank end-caps, the f-16 plastic caps cracked on me, one of my smoke-tech pyrex tanks cant get a good seal at the bottom and leaks, and I don't want something that is unsheilded glass or with a knob sticking out the side. I did buy the artimus locking tank, but the large tube shattered in my pocket right after I filled the tank, and I have since not purchased unflanged cartos to use with the smaller tube.
I would love to find just some end-caps for a 5ml or 3.5ml tank tube that are either stainless, or aluminum instead of this crappy chrome garbage.

As for ADV, I cant really say I have found one flavor that I can call my ADV. I usually have two or three on me at all times in different tanks and battery devices so I can just grab from my pocket or resting place and vape. If I had to choose, I would take razzleberry, tropic thunder or freckled lemonade from mount-baker for the summer, and carmel-apple or moo-juice for colder months, but that's just right now. I like a couple flavors from backwoods brew (their strawberry tastes fresh-picked), but they just don't have the selection I'm looking for.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You might want to take a look at some of the "glassomizers" on the market now, like the Kanger ProTank, the AnyVape Davide Glassomizer or the DBox Puritank. You mentioned being concerned about "unshielded glass," but these are very sturdy devices - wholly unlikely to shatter in your pocket and would probably withstand most body-length drops to the pavement (at least once :)). The full size versions would be great for your Vamo, and the ProTank and the Davide have mini versions for your Twist. Best of all, they all use the same replaceable coil heads that come in different resistances and are even rebuildable if you are so inclined. I use them along with RBAs, genesis-style atomizers and carto tanks (I like different juices in different delivery devices), and have found them to be extremely easy to use and very reliable (although, as with cartos, you will occasionally get a coil head that is a dud). The EVOD that Mrs. G mentioned is another variety of the same thing and would be an inexpensive way to try out that style to see if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread