carto vs. clearo vs. tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Okay, been doing a little research, nothing new there. Lol! I have a few questions that I have been reading mixed results about.:facepalm:

:confused:
1. What is the best way to go when you want to switch flavors throughout the day?
2. When switching flavors do you have to clean out a clearo like you do a carto? (I use the boil method)
3. Is a clearo a fancier version of a carto
4. Do you have to clean out a tank before switching to a new flavor
5. How long does a carto usually last using the boiling method?
6. When using an atomizer do you need anything to go along with that? (drip tip, drip shield etc...)
7. What is the cheapest alternative to having cartos for switching flavors throughout the day

~~~We have the KR808D~~~

Thanks!:vapor:

Last edited:

SpicyMcHaggis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hamilton Ohio
Best way to switch flavors is by dripping on an atty. I just blow it out into a kleenex real good and add the next flavor.

Cartos have some sort of polyfil inside them that surrounds the atomizer to keep it wet. Personally I despise them, they taste horrid to me. Clearos have a wick that keeps the atty fueled. I use these exclusively. I'm especially fond of the Vivi Nova tanks. They totally unscrew to be cleaned and to replace a burned out coil head. Very simple.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well, A clearo like the kanger t-2 or the new rebuildable stardust those are ce2(4+?) use a ceramic cup to hold the coil and a silica wick to deliver liquid to the coil. Those have less tendancy to get that burned flavor that cartos get. If they do then they need to be cleaned and dry burned and that flavor goes away(generally). There is less around the coil to overheat and burn so less of a chance of ruining the flavor of whatever is in the clearo.

When I switch flavors in my ce2 style units I rinse until the wick looks clean under hot water. Then I blow the remaining water off the wicks and coil. Then I do some dry burns to dry the wick and burn off any gunk that may have accumulated on the coil(retaining flavor). Then I load my new flavor and vape away. The whole process takes less than ten minutes and is pretty tried and true for me.

Some clearosyes are nothing more than a cartomixer stuffing and all inside a clear tube. Most of the better ones are like the ones above which are a completely different system.

You should clean your tank every few days even if you are not changing flavors.

As long as you keep the carto wet with liquid when you are using it it should last well beyond a couple weeks, but as you use it the filler begins to load with sediment from the liquid you have been using and will eventually begin to gunk up and have poor performance. Sometimes The filler breaks down and wont hold as much liquid as it once did..... eventually you will just know when a carto is on its last hoorah and will know when to pitch it in the bin. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Scott Dernbach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I would say a Kanger T2 tank....The heating element can be rinsed off and reinstalled quickly to change flavors (as long as you use a kleenex to speed the wick drying... I have used one over 3 weeks now whithout having to replace the atty portion, and even if I do, they are only about $1.00 per on sale (ViVi are a little more for the replacements, but their tanks hold more IIRC).

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Variants of one another (i also mentioned ce4+....lol). the ce2(4) has a top coil closer to the mouthpiece. The ce3 has a bottom coil closer to the battery. The ce2 allows for a little warmer vapor, while sacrificing easy feeding. The ce3 feeds easily but lacks a little warmth(in my opinion). Each system has its own things that it does well and some things not so well, everyone has a favorite thats why there are so many products available and so many revisions of certain products.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Oh and on question seven.... There really is no good way for me to determine this for you without a little more info... how many cartos do you "retire" in a week?

Most of the clearo options are more expensive than the simple carto they are intended to replace. BUT they generally last longer and perform better for much longer than a simple cartomizer even with fairly simple care. Also there is the off chance that they may break and that would be where the iffyness would begin. I see the yellow we have kr808 at the bttom of the post , many of the specific devices kanger t2/stardust/vivi are the wrong thread (and much larger diameter) for your kr8. There are kr8 specific clearos, and it would be of good info to stop over to the kr8 section a have a look there also.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Okay, been doing a little research, nothing new there. Lol! I have a few questions that I have been reading mixed results about.:facepalm:

:confused:
1. What is the best way to go when you want to switch flavors throughout the day?
2. When switching flavors do you have to clean out a clearo like you do a carto? (I use the boil method)
6. When using an atomizer do you need anything to go along with that? (drip tip, drip shield etc...)
7. What is the cheapest alternative to having cartos for switching flavors throughout the day

~~~We have the KR808D~~~

Thanks!:vapor:
1. Changing Flavors, with my Clearomizers (Vivi Nova) I just vape them until low and than empty them out and fill. If it's a really strong Juice like Cinnamon than I might give it a wash with water.
I have 3 Vivi Novas all filled with different Liquids so I just switch tanks throughout the day if I want a change. The Vivi wicks are only $3.00 or $4.00 and last for around 2 weeks easy.

Cartomizers don't use anymore, now that I'm used to a Clearomizer the polyfill is nasty. But when I switched flavors I used to wash them out with plain water.

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
1) I'll make it brief:

a) Cartos are most dependable and hassle free at first.

b) Clearos -- stardusts, fluxomizers, bottom coils, are money pits of pain, joy and Chinese crap. One box is great, the next broken. You will pour $$ into them over time.

c) Vivi Nova 2.5 or vivi mini. You tube them. Search for them here. Get several novas or minis for a variety of juices.
Then make your own coils and rewick with cotton for the win :).NO LEAKS.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ivi-cotton-re-wicking-method-monkey-easy.html

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
With my vivi novas, I switch flavors when the tanks are empty or basically empty so as to not waste juice. I rinse them with water or soak briefly in vodka, dry burn, rinse, and re-fill. Works amazing.

With cartos, I throw them away and open another one. But I also haven't hard a carto last more than a few days anyway.

With an atty, I blow them out and dry burn.

No. They work completely differently. There's no polyfill in a clearomizer, just a wick that extends into a juice reservoir. They're a lot closer to the way the penelope & odyssius work than the way cartos work.

Yes. Take it apart, rinse & dry. Works for me. That applies to the "tanks" involved in clearos or carto tanks.

I've never cleaned one, and except for the first few generic 901 cartos I got for my mistic when I first started, I've never had one last more than a few days.

Drip tips are necessary for basically everything. They're much more comfortable on your lips and collect some of the liquid that occasionally spurts out of everything. Drip shields were made for the 901 to contain leaks. They're not necessary, but they're nice if you have a tendency to over-drip and can look awesome. You also need paper towels.

Dripping. Blow + dry burn + re-prime with several drops, then drip until you want to change flavors and repeat. But you're also dripping all the time, which may or may not be something that appeals to you. The flavor is also a lot more pure, but until you learn your atomizer, you're bound to get either flooding or dry hits……or probably both. But you get used to how your atty performs and learn how much and when to drip.

Apart from that, I like having multiples of just about anything. I clean & change flavors when I'm at home, and that's what I use in that device until it's time to change flavors again. I have 2 full size novas and a mini nova that I carry basically every day (sometimes leaving one of them at home, since I only have 2 batts to put them on). When I want to change flavors, I grab the other one or swap a different nova on. I'd do the same thing if I owned more than 1 carto tank (and if I could find cartos that perform as well as the vivi nova).

Price/performance, I think the vivi nova is king for me, right now. Easy to clean & fill, and it gives great performance IMHO. I have some fusion 801 cartos in the mail to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't have high hopes for them. I've been using my DCT with a single coil smoktech tonight because I wanted to vape a flavor that gives my GF a headache while she's out of town and I didn't feel like cleaning a vivi nova……and it's "good enough" but a noticeably worse experience than the vivi novas.

So, for the "cheapest" way to change flavors, I'd say just get multiples of whatever clearo you're happy with. I need to try some stardusts. The Kanger T2s were close to the vivi nova, but not close enough even for how much cheaper they are. I couldn't get them to stop gurgling, and it finally annoyed me too much.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Clearos are better. Look into the E1-V which is the best mini clearo on the market, way outperforming the Vivi Nova Mini. You can get them at DiscountVapors.com

Proof here from one of my vaper buddies RockinRobbieSF:

TLDR version: the E1-V holds more juice, has better flavor, looks way better, and doesn't require a cone thread collar (or sleeve) to look good (unlike the Vivi Nova Mini which is dog ugly). Plus that's one less piece you gotta buy and one less to lug around and not match your PV.

Last edited:

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
With my vivi novas, I switch flavors when the tanks are empty or basically empty so as to not waste juice. I rinse them with water or soak briefly in vodka, dry burn, rinse, and re-fill. Works amazing.

With cartos, I throw them away and open another one. But I also haven't hard a carto last more than a few days anyway.

With an atty, I blow them out and dry burn.

[/COLOR]No. They work completely differently. There's no polyfill in a clearomizer, just a wick that extends into a juice reservoir. They're a lot closer to the way the penelope & odyssius work than the way cartos work.

Yes. Take it apart, rinse & dry. Works for me. That applies to the "tanks" involved in clearos or carto tanks.

I've never cleaned one, and except for the first few generic 901 cartos I got for my mistic when I first started, I've never had one last more than a few days.

Drip tips are necessary for basically everything. They're much more comfortable on your lips and collect some of the liquid that occasionally spurts out of everything. Drip shields were made for the 901 to contain leaks. They're not necessary, but they're nice if you have a tendency to over-drip and can look awesome. You also need paper towels.

Dripping. Blow + dry burn + re-prime with several drops, then drip until you want to change flavors and repeat. But you're also dripping all the time, which may or may not be something that appeals to you. The flavor is also a lot more pure, but until you learn your atomizer, you're bound to get either flooding or dry hits……or probably both. But you get used to how your atty performs and learn how much and when to drip.

Apart from that, I like having multiples of just about anything. I clean & change flavors when I'm at home, and that's what I use in that device until it's time to change flavors again. I have 2 full size novas and a mini nova that I carry basically every day (sometimes leaving one of them at home, since I only have 2 batts to put them on). When I want to change flavors, I grab the other one or swap a different nova on. I'd do the same thing if I owned more than 1 carto tank (and if I could find cartos that perform as well as the vivi nova).

Price/performance, I think the vivi nova is king for me, right now. Easy to clean & fill, and it gives great performance IMHO. I have some fusion 801 cartos in the mail to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't have high hopes for them. I've been using my DCT with a single coil smoktech tonight because I wanted to vape a flavor that gives my GF a headache while she's out of town and I didn't feel like cleaning a vivi nova……and it's "good enough" but a noticeably worse experience than the vivi novas.

So, for the "cheapest" way to change flavors, I'd say just get multiples of whatever clearo you're happy with. I need to try some stardusts. The Kanger T2s were close to the vivi nova, but not close enough even for how much cheaper they are. I couldn't get them to stop gurgling, and it finally annoyed me too much.

WOW! Thank you so much for all that information. It helps quite a bit, especially the difference in the carto/clearo. I really appreciate everyone else who responded also!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread