Carto vs clearo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peacepipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
chicago
i agree about the Smoktech cartos they work like crap and ive gotten alot of junk ones in the past i only use boge's these days and get them dirt cheep in bulk packs and punch my own. for 75/25% pg/vg i use one medium sized hole and for 50/50 juice i use two med/large holes then i add 20-25 drops in the tip and let is sit in a full tank for a good 20 minutes before i even attempt to use it, if you try to hit it before all the filler is soaked you will destroy the carto just toss it.

I got a lot of junk ones recently...I'm upset! :mad:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
ETA: I also have 14 CE3 Xls (in a box on my desk) filled with different flavors to switch around, since I have the attention span of a guppy. I'm only adding this because many people have said CE3 "always leak."

It's by no means my preferred method of vaping, but I was pleasantly surprised with my Kanger T3 clearos. I don't use them as an all-day vape delivery system. I got them so I could vape my coffee flavor, which was wreaking havoc on my cartos. I kept reading horror stories about how bad they leak, etc. But I've had them for several weeks, they've all been cleaned using an alcohol/h20 soak several times, and they still work just fine. I still don't understand how so many people had so many of those clearos leak on them. Maybe I'm just lucky?

All of that being said, I still prefer my carto tanks for my consistent, all-day vapes. That is, until Baditude schools me in RBAs.

peacepipe

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
chicago
Rocketpunk,

I usually use 18-20 drops, or about 1ml. I try to pretend that it's a regular carto at first. Then I slip it in the tank, fill it and take a test puff to see if I'm getting bubbles. Then I wait for it to be really soaked. After that I fire it up at low voltage to avoid torching the coil too soon.

I also, prime the coil with a drop or two if I didn't use the condom method, which you can't do with flanges cartos anyway.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
It's by no means my preferred method of vaping, but I was pleasantly surprised with my Kanger T3 clearos. I don't use them as an all-day vape delivery system. I got them so I could vape my coffee flavor, which was wreaking havoc on my cartos. I kept reading horror stories about how bad they leak, etc. But I've had them for several weeks, they've all been cleaned using an alcohol/h20 soak several times, and they still work just fine. I still don't understand how so many people had so many of those clearos leak on them. Maybe I'm just lucky?

All of that being said, I still prefer my carto tanks for my consistent, all-day vapes. That is, until Baditude schools me in RBAs.

I'm waiting for my protank (taps paw). I was quite surprised how well the CE3s have worked, considering they are very(!) cheap little pieces of plastic. I wanted something small to try out juices I liked dripping, but wasn't sure I wanted to commit a whole tank and they seem to fit the bill. Out of 17: one had a short in it, one was leaking a little bit and I pitched it because it annoyed me, and one epically failed after a few days use when something came loose on the bottom (imagine pulling the plunger out of a syringe); the rest are working fine.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Rocketpunk,

I usually use 18-20 drops, or about 1ml. I try to pretend that it's a regular carto at first. Then I slip it in the tank, fill it and take a test puff to see if I'm getting bubbles. Then I wait for it to be really soaked. After that I fire it up at low voltage to avoid torching the coil too soon.

I also, prime the coil with a drop or two if I didn't use the condom method, which you can't do with flanges cartos anyway.

Actually, I do an upside down condom fill, since I use flanged cartos and learned it wrong to begin with (I only heard about it, I hadn't seen a video). I fill the condom about 2/3, put the top of the carto part way in for about 30 seconds, then push it all the way in, flip it over and tap it until I see a big air bubble, shake it like a thermometer, pull off the condom and let it sit for awhile. I might do it all again if it looks really dry. Then I top it off with drops, shake again, blow gently from the top into a paper towel & roll up a small piece of paper towel and slide it up the bottom hole to blot, and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

I have no idea why this method works better for me than any other, except that my attention span is so short and my hands too shaky to drip into a carto very much accurately.

ETA: I don't count drops, I just watch the filler until it looks wet.

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I'm going to try this on my next priming. I have a crap ton of cartos so if I get it wrong, it won't be too big a loss. Did you come across this method yourself? Do you blow out any excess juice back into the condom?

Heh heh, yes, vape talk is so risque.

EDIT: I have shaky hands, too, Ocelot. Very annoying, sometimes.

Actually, I do an upside down condom fill, since I use flanged cartos and learned it wrong to begin with (I only heard about it, I hadn't seen a video). I fill the condom about 2/3, put the top of the carto part way in for about 30 seconds, then push it all the way in, flip it over and tap it until I see a big air bubble, shake it like a thermometer, pull off the condom and let it sit for awhile. I might do it all again if it looks really dry. Then I top it off with drops, shake again, blow gently from the top into a paper towel & roll up a small piece of paper towel and slide it up the bottom hole to blot, and let it sit for a couple of minutes.

I have no idea why this method works better for me than any other, except that my attention span is so short and my hands too shaky to drip very much accurately.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I'm going to try this on my next priming. I have a crap ton of cartos so if I get it wrong, it won't be too big a loss. Did you come across this method yourself? Do you blow out any excess juice back into the condom?

Heh heh, yes, vape talk is so risque.

EDIT: I have shaky hands, too, Ocelot. Very annoying, sometimes.

I guess I came up with it myself. When I heard about the condom method I thought it was supposed to be from the top, I didn't think the screw part could get wet (it was a long time ago). I'm using XL cartos, so they pretty much suck up everything in the condom and not too much gets down the center hole. I've thought about making a video of it, but it would be sooo boring.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Hey all.

Just ordered a ProVari mini. Stepping up from a twist. Anyway, I have a bunch of Kanger T3 and T2s for the ego already. Problem is I don't really like the look of those on the ProVari and am thinking switching to carto-tanks.

Can anyone give me a pro/con type list to clearos vs carto-tanks?

I did order one 3ml carto tank from provape so I can at least check it out when it gets here.

Thanks for any insight!

GG

Goodness, forgot to mention: you will need a 510 to ego adapter if you want to use your Kanger T3's on your Provari.

http://www.discountvapers.com/510-battery-to-ego/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread