Cartomizers...agh!!! TMI, brain overload!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
I need help. I am new to vaping, and in 3 weeks have spent quite a bit doing the e-cig thing. So, here's my question (background on my set-up first). I have a Riva 510 750mah, 3.7 volt, and an ego, same specs. I have been through filling carts, cleaning atomizers, etc. I have read that a lot of people like cartomizers. I can understand with the mess and hassle of the 3 part systems. I would like to order a few to try. I just can't decide what I should order. I have read about the new dual-coil low resistance cartomizers, even the new echo ones which are very scarce at present. Should I just try some standard ones? How long do most of these last? Are they hard to clean or reuse? How hard are they on your stock batteries (trying to keep things working for as long as possible, with the least amount of headaches and hassles). Since I am the guinea pig for everyone I know who smokes, I need help to learn the best, and pass on to others so they can give the e-cig the proper try it deserves.:blink:

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
Thank you! I was just reading the super long thread on burnt carto issues, seems a lot of people like the boges. I just hope they are safe, such a long thread, will take me a week to read it through! I have a couple syringes I had gotten for the puppies shots, never used, will have to see what size needles I have. Just checked, size 20 and 18. I can always get more. What is the biggest size you can use for these? And why the blunt tip? Just a safety concern, or can you actually puncture the atomizer inside?

Last edited:

roxics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2009
Detroit MI
Yup the blunt tip is just for safety. The syringe I pointed you too is an 18ga. Works perfectly for PG based juice or even 50/50 PG/VG. But for straight up VG you'd want something thicker. That said, thicker is harder to push through the polyfill.

I've burnt out plenty of cartos in my time. It's just part of the game. They are designed to be disposable to begin with. So all refills should just be considered a bonus. But with a thick dark liquid you should get 3-5 refills or more. With a thinner clearer liquid I've gotten 30+ refills. Keep them wet and your risk of burning them is less.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
good grief... i know your just kidding, but hell, it's the vape maiden, the vape.

looks like you can't go wrong with the recommendation here... and pick up the Duals just for the fun of it (remember, they're new and mileages are varying, not to mention, for some reason, they don't recommend the eGo type batts. although many are using them with these).

The Boges will get you completely and sufficiently familiar with cartos and a decent vape...

If you really like the vape (sorry i can't get your comment out of my mind... imo nicotene is not something anyone would want to inject)... then you might go back to dripping; LR atty's - bottom feeding; the natural "hmm, is that a "better" vape?, then as in my case, back to dripping again; because nothing is a better vape (given the right equipment and know how).

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
Great idea otrpu, Never thought of that! I'm sure that works out great!

No, ukeman, I would never inject myself, I hate shots as it is!! Just a funny thought, like most things, it popped in my head and was out before I knew it!! Just was thinking, some idiot was reading a thread, and decided to skip the whole vaping thing and just inject themselves! You know, the ones that are the reason for all the stupid warning labels on everything we get.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
aye m'lady... how's the boges going for you?
Great idea otrpu, Never thought of that! I'm sure that works out great!

No, ukeman, I would never inject myself, I hate shots as it is!! Just a funny thought, like most things, it popped in my head and was out before I knew it!! Just was thinking, some idiot was reading a thread, and decided to skip the whole vaping thing and just inject themselves! You know, the ones that are the reason for all the stupid warning labels on everything we get.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Thank you! I was just reading the super long thread on burnt carto issues, seems a lot of people like the boges. I just hope they are safe, such a long thread, will take me a week to read it through! I have a couple syringes I had gotten for the puppies shots, never used, will have to see what size needles I have. Just checked, size 20 and 18. I can always get more. What is the biggest size you can use for these? And why the blunt tip? Just a safety concern, or can you actually puncture the atomizer inside?

Cartos that singe are not for everyone, as it does add a bit of charcoal flavor. Lots of folks like it but a few of us can't stand it. I don't think they are dangerous as what little we know seems to indicate that moderate amounts are not harmful. We smoke meats, blacken fish, char grill hotdogs, roll that other weed in paper, so on and so forth. I wish I saved some of the links I ran across when I was researching this a while back. I didn't because for me it became a moot point as I quickly found that I couldn't get even a day's use out of the cartos I tried. Keep in mind that I didn't try some of the slightly more expensive cartos and that might have been a mistake on my part.

The good news for me is the duel coils. I've got about ten hours in one now without a hint of charcoal taste. They do change the flavor of the juice a little as it cooks but it's just different not necessarily better or worse depending on your taste buds. But, having said that, I'll have to admit that for most of my juices, nothing beats dripping. lol. Do a utube search on smok tech and watch a couple of the videos on the duel coils. In fact here's a link to one, slide it out to about 14:30 and watch him destroy one. YouTube - A PBusardo Review : Boge 510 LR Carto Vs. Smok Tech 510 LR Dual Coil Mega Carto Vape on! :vapor:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I haven't found a carto the replaces dripping (for me). I don't mind the "three drops every 10 buffs" thing. No fuss otherwise. No syringes. No filler. No mess. A drip tip makes it even easier.

Cartos generally taste like crap to me. I admit I need to try the CE-X rev Y model Z 1st. This month, the craze seems to be dual-coil. Last moth, a DIY tank. Previous month, a new CE-whatever. Frankly, I can't keep it sorted out and, even though I'm not a newbie, I get confused on cartos. I think carto tech almost needs it's own sub-forum just to sort it out.

However, I have seen a lot of people using MAP tanks which is a modified carto with a BIG clear tank. I'd like to see the carto experts contrast MAP vs the suggestions in the above posts. Hope this gives you food for thought, and doesn't hijack the thread. It seems that every time a new person asks an innocent carto question, there's 500 different answers!

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Another recommendation for the boge 510 cartos (vs. standard 510 cartos)! I haven't tried the lr boge's since the standard cartos have been working well for me. The trick with cartos is to keep them moist. I keep about 3 or 4 'in rotation', each with a different flavour (I stick a tiny label on mine with the flavor written on it). I can usually get anywhere from 25-30 drops into a brand new blank carto...and then refills/top-ups take 12-15 drops. Through personal trial and error, one thing I have learned to avoid the 'burnt carto' taste and increase the longevity of the carto itself, is that as soon as I detect a flavor-drop (reduction in flavor), I stop vaping on that carto until I've topped it up. I've been doing this for the past week and it's made a vast improvement in the quality of my vaping experience. As I said above, keeping 3 or 4 cartos in rotation makes this a simple task.

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I use cartos and I can't understand why people use a syringe or needle to fill them. I just flick off the mouth piece, remove the donut thing under it and throw them away. Then I drip in about 30 drops of juice and put a drip tip on and vape to my heart's content.

Agreed, no need for a syringe. Open up the carto package, remove the top 'condom' leave the bottom one on. Remove the little white cap with the hole in the middle. Fill the carto up to the top, be patient, allow it to absorb almost all the way into the filler. Now do it again. After a minute, slowly remove the bottom 'condom' This will pull the remain liquid thru. If you remove it and no liquid came thru the bottom, add a few more drops. Now, over a sink, garbage or into a paper towel, gently blow out excess liquid. If you have no excess liquid, add a bit more till you have a bit of excess.
Slap on a drip tip and you are good to go. When you feel like the carto is dropping off, just add a few more drops. Don't vape them dry, it decreases life span and taste bad. You just drip right into the top of your drip tip.
With practice you can do this while it is on your pv, if you overfill, just remove, blow and wipe out connector.
Simple and easy.

Personally, I would just use the regular boge cartos, not the lr ones. Might want to try both and see what you prefer. Very small investment to just get a pack of both.

This method is fast and easy and solved all my frustrations with the whole atty/cart/filling/cleaning frustrations. It is probably not a great method for a super juice miser but it is fast easy and works on the go.

Carto will last me 2 weeks easy, even longer. Depends on the liquid you use, clear liquids equal longer, the heavier dark liquids not as much. Also, if they sit for a few days, cap them off and add a bit of liquid before you fire them up.

Hope this helps.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Can someone explain the advantages/disadvantages of low resistance carts (~2ohm) compared to standard carts (~3ohms). I use a KR808d-1 battery 4.2v off charger then settles around 3.7v.

Depends on your tastes. The lower the ohm rating, the hotter they burn. LR's will eat juice faster but put out more vapor and flavor IMO. I like a warm vape. Standard resistance put out a decent amount of vapor but the vape is cooler.

LR's are meant to be used on true 3.7v devices. I don't know if they would be safe for your batteries or not. I know that vapor4life has blank WOW and premium cartomizers. The WOW burns hotter but I don't know the specs on them.

Edit: WOW's are 2.2ohm. So this will give you something to go by that will be safe for your batteries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread