Cartridge Health - Has Anyone Considered??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haytoni

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
N.W. Florida
I am freaked out now. ! Only because weirdly I have never thought about that, and another thing is.. when I have to start taking the filler out and cleaning it I'm going to be paranoid that I dont get it back in right, etc....Plus I have problems with it anyway and thinking about switching to blue foam. I have only been vaping for 5 days... I am going to need to do a good cleaning soon. AGH guess I need to start researching so I don't screw up. :oops:
Hey Wit Bit, to get the wicking material back in after it's washed and dried, use a nail file between the edge of the cart and the batting and guide it down, does a neat job.

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
Hey Wit Bit, to get the wicking material back in after it's washed and dried, use a nail file between the edge of the cart and the batting and guide it down, does a neat job.

Also, I find that small tweezers work great. I've been using the Fluval Water Polishing Pad (from the pet store) - it's so easy to separate, cut, and re-stuff the cartridges with.

Do a search for Fluval - there are a lot of threads with pictures, and a few youtubes showing how people do it.

It's easy to figure it out and once you do it, you'll find a way that works good for you and get the hang of how much to use, etc. :)

bluewraith

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Peru, IN
Im not worried. Soak in vodka every night if your that paranoid. Im more worried about dust mites, I heard the average mattress doubles in weight over 10 years, and thats not because it grew new springs.... thats ALOT of dust mites, just think, theyre crawling by the millions into every orifice of your body as you sleep, setting up their own countries on your scalp, taking poops on your eyeballs, being inhaled by the thousands into your lungs everytime you breath.... you cant stop them, theyre coming for you, heck, they've already got you dominated, theyre everywhere, theyre on you, inside you, around you, and ...... and pooing on you (cause certainly dust mites have to go potty right??? Id assume so!).

The majority of the added weight is your dead skin and hair, mixed with your sweat and all the other fluids normally found on a bed. Dustmites thrive in those conditions, but its one of those things that you just have to deal with as there is no way to avoid it. Its like the rat hairs in peanutbutter.. unavoidable to a degree.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
The majority of the added weight is your dead skin and hair, mixed with your sweat and all the other fluids normally found on a bed. Dustmites thrive in those conditions, but its one of those things that you just have to deal with as there is no way to avoid it. Its like the rat hairs in peanutbutter.. unavoidable to a degree.

So I think I'm liking my PB&J a lot less now. Thanks ! 8-o

BHedge

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
texas
I've never heard of anyone throwing the polyfill away within rinsing the cart in warm water at least. The white stuff is I'm sure some type of crystallized liquid from the ejuice drying in the cart. Probably not harmful, but it's only common sense that something going in your mouth needs to be cleaned and dried completely on a regular basis.

dk2

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
cheers
My RN4081 cart filler is glued to the inner cart with a white rubbery glue, the first thing I do is remove the standard poly fill and scrape out the glue, check a brand new cart I'm sure you'll find that what you found is actually glue it's very common. Remove old filler scrape out the rubbery glue, restuff with PTB, blue foam, or any other filler.

pinkbeckie88

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
MA, USA
this is a very intresting post, and im glad i read it. i just started vaping, and every time i have to re-fill a cart i will run it under the hot tap water in the kitchen. i never really thought of all the germs that may be growing in there, i just thought i "had" to clean them to get the old flavor out of them... i will have to do a weekly Listerine bath from now on

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Just to stir the pot, there is also evidence that being overly aggressive in killing the beasties that inhabit our ingestion/inhalation world leads to suppressed immune response. It's a dirty world, our bodies need to be challenged (when overall health is good) with the critters to maintain a "tuned-up" immune system.

Not to advocate dirty habits, but also to suggest there's a balance to be struck.

wolffanatic

Feb 26, 2010
Rural.....Ohio
Look on the bright side, researchers have found more than 10,000,000 bacteria living on a single toothbrush!

Thats why I not only give my carts a listerine bath followed by a hot water rinse, I also subject my carts to my toothbrush ultraviolet (UV) light sanitizer to kill anything the first methods may have missed!

ultraviolet (UV) light sanitizer to kill anything That is a good idea!!1

Mrs. Orange

Jun 14, 2009
USA
You'll probably find this article of interest (url is findarticles(dot)com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_23_163/ai_104440005/) Smoking out microbes - Nicotine - nicotine kills bacteria - Brief Article | Science News | Find Articles at BNET

Yeah that. The carts are probably a VERY poor medium for bacteria growth because of both the PG and the nicotine. It could be an issue if someone's vaping zero nic VG though.

Not saying regular cleaning wouldn't make it taste better but health-wise probably not a huge concern.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
I hate to say it , but yes you are a bit paranoid LOL
For a group of people that stuck raw plants in thier mouth and set them on fire along with the bugs or whatever else was in them, not to mention what was on the filters, well yes I have to say it is really paranoid to worry so much about the bacteria in a carto, especially since that carto is filled with a bacteria killer!

tomoiaga

Mar 30, 2010
Cluj-Napoca
I am not sure if this was brought up but all my prefilled carts are "glued" to the bottom of the cart with something white. I say "glued" because I can eventually pull the poly out without very much effort. Sorry if this too was asked before but did the white stuff you found was in the air channels or in the (don't know how to say it) juice reservoir where the poly usually resides ?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I have a mason jar with vodka in it. Dropper bottles and used carts more than a week old are tossed in and let to soak. Vodka kills everything. After a few days, or when I get to them, I take everything out of the mason jar, dry it out with paper towels some, then let it air-dry the rest of the way over night. All is clean and sterile.

Mouthwash is fine for this, but only if it is alcohol based. And vodka is higher in alcohol and would work better for this.

E-liquid does not crystalize, at least none in my world have. None of the components are solids when pure. The exception might be menthol, but even that would not likely form a solid, as it would hold onto VG or PG too well. And if it did, it would be needles, not a fine powder.

The white material was no doubt filler glue. I've seen it too, and that is what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread