Status
Not open for further replies.

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
I've read that the blue filter material for fish tanks has been used successfully by many on the forum for their cartridges! So I went looking under my 125 gallon fish tank this morning and found a whole roll of Coralife PureFlo 100 Micron white filter pad (12" x 18")! Can I use this filter pad to fill my empty Joye 510 cartridges?

If so, what size do I cut? Should it be doubled?
What a FIND this is for me, if I can use it!!!! :banana:

OldDude1

Sep 7, 2010
New York
Greetings MsBree: The suitability of the filter pad as a Cartridge refill material, IMO, is dependent upon it's structure, density and composition. I like and use the blue foam. The concept is to create a "filler plug" that is sufficiently dense to keep the liquid from leaking out of the cartridge while still being "porous" enough to wick the liquid from the cartridge to the nickel foam of the atomizer bridge. The size and density of the plug/wick will largely determine the relative ease with which the liquid will be transported from the cartridge to the atomizer. It seems that just about any fibrous or sponge-like material cut to the proper size CAN work. It is just a problem of efficiency. As long as the filter material is NOT INJURIOUS to your health or is susceptible to degradation by interacting with either the chemistry of the e-liquid or exposure to the atomizer heat the Coralife should do. Aquarium filter material is PROBABLY safe but wash it well. The 100 micron pad may be more dense than optimum but it can be adjusted by pulling it apart until it's structure is open enough to hold and conduct a reasonable amount of liquid. Experiment with slightly smaller length and diameter plugs using the original cartridge filler plug size as a starting point. I suggest smaller and less dense. Here is a link to a simple and easy cartridge filler mod by form member " Highping" from 3/22/2010. OldDude1

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/79418-highping-cart-mod-simple-gets.html

MsBree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2010
New Jersey
www.precious-pets.org
OldDude...thanks so much!!! In looking real close at this filter pad, it's extremely dense...it has to be to catch all the microscopic nasties from fish water! I'd rather not take a chance cause there's no evidence of this filter pad being safe 'for human consumption' (lol), and I'm certainly not a chemist! I'd rather not take a chance, but it didn't hurt to throw this one out there! Thanks for the link to the Highping Cart Mod....very cool, and how easy too! Next time I'm at the pet shop, I'll pick up some of the blue foam and experiment with that too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread