Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
:-( nobody liked mine... lol

My idea was "When life throws a pack at you, vape it away" I kinda have a visual of a little avatar movie clip of a guy tossing a pack to some girl at a table, and she just smiles using her e-cig and exhales over the pack while the pack evaporates.

If only I had the creativeness to show you all... crap lol.

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
Okay, picture this: Profile shot of a beautiful woman (or man) laying on their stomach but propped up on elbows. Close up of just head and shoulders. Chin cupped in hand closest to the viewer and that hand is holding an elegant looking e-cig. The opposite hand is flicking away a pack of cigarettes which is an action shot, you know, in the air as a result of being flicked. She/he is smiling a secret little smile. Under picture is "Think outside the Pack". Yeah, I know I'm still thinking along the lines of an e-cig, but it's more elegant than the other alternatives, lol!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I may be way off base, but my gut says not to show any particular device or substance, because 1. it looks too much like an ad for the item or that CASAA sells that item and 2. the sight of ANY cigarette-looking thing could immediately turn off many non-smokers and anti-smokers.

That's just how I see it - maybe I'm weird! :D

One of the things I do in real estate is staging and writing ads. I pretty much feel that the house is going to sell itself - it either works or it doesn't. It's my job to sell the lifestyle - I don't just list a fireplace and a patio, I talk about sitting outside and enjoying the sun in the summer and curling up by a fire in the winter. I think CASAA's job is very similar in that, at least to me. We're "selling" the whole lifestyle change, not a particular item. Does that make sense?

I may be way off base, but my gut says not to show any particular device or substance, because 1. it looks too much like an ad for the item or that CASAA sells that item and 2. the sight of ANY cigarette-looking thing could immediately turn off many non-smokers and anti-smokers.

One of the things I do in real estate is staging and writing ads. I pretty much feel that the house is going to sell itself - it either works or it doesn't. It's my job to sell the lifestyle - I don't just list a fireplace and a patio, I talk about sitting outside and enjoying the sun in the summer and curling up by a fire in the winter. I think CASAA's job is very similar in that, at least to me. We're "selling" the whole lifestyle change, not a particular item. Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me, but as much as we are intending to educate, I'm a little concerned about too much obfuscation. We didn't pick an acronym like "VAPOR" or one that specifies what type of smoke-free alternatives we advocate, so leaning too heavily on puppies and dandelions could make it seem like we're trying to hide something.

I completely agree that ads shouldn't be too angry, but it shouldn't look like an ad for allergy [or is that E.D.? It's getting so I can't tell the commercials apart] medication either.

ckc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
UK
If you where handing these out to people as leaflets, i for one wouldn't want to be passing something to a non-smoker that shows a packet of cigarettes....they'll dump it.Isn't this supposed to be all about education?

All the written work could be printed on the back of them alternatives,what they do etc etc maybe butterflies and dandelions are needed in this case.

Otherwise just show pack of cigs in a coffin, with the words 'had enough yet?'

Last edited:

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
Ok, so we are in favor of all smoke-free alternatives. What products does that include? Chewing tobacco, snuff, snus and the e-cig, e-pipe and e-cigar. We are not promoting the use of Chantix or gum or the patch are we? So, of those 4, the electronics are the only ones that will be visable to the public when in use. (Excepting a big wad of chew in somebodies cheek and a spit cup in their hand-are we promoting that? Ewww!) If that's the case, then we really HAVE to feature the electronics in our ads. How else will people know that's what we're all about? We can't have it be so vague that people can't figure out what we're promoting in that 1-2 second glance they will give it. I'm not in advertising but I am a consumer and I know what gets my attention and what doesn't. There has to be something eye-catching and then I will read the text and if it still interests me I will jot down a number or web address. Just my opinion....

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I think that the ads shown so far are just the overall mockups - I imagined they'd also have text on them explaining what CASAA is all about.

I look at NRTs as a means to quit, not an alternative use product.

I don't know - I'm just talking out loud - I certainly haven't made my mind up on any of it. I look forward to hearing everyone's perspective!

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
A lot of good ideas... maybe enough to put together a PSA. Here's something to possibly build upon:

Every day someone tries to stop smoking. Odds are, they will fail.

If you or a loved one is trying to stop smoking cigarettes... Please don't wait for another tomorrow.

Isn't it time to start thinking "outside of the pack."

We invite you to learn more about reduced harm tobacco and smoke-free alternatives to cigarettes:

At the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association. CASAA.org... that's C-A-S-A-A.org...

Visit us, and learn how to "start saving your tomorrows.. today."

I'm imagining Morgan Freeman as the narrator :)

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Well Said!

Has Morgan Freeman ever done anything that wasn't great?

A lot of good ideas... maybe enough to put together a PSA. Here's something to possibly build upon:
Every day someone tries to stop smoking. Odds are, they will fail.

If you or a loved one is trying to stop smoking cigarettes... Please don't wait for another tomorrow.

Isn't it time to start thinking "outside of the pack."

We invite you to learn more about reduced harm tobacco and smoke-free alternatives to cigarettes:

At the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association. CASAA.org... that's C-A-S-A-A.org...

Visit us, and learn how to "start saving your tomorrows.. today."

I'm imagining Morgan Freeman as the narrator :)

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Now that sounds right on point IMHO.

Sun

This sounds great to me. Somewhere between duckies and bunnies and gloom and doom is the fine line we want. Portraying smoke free alternatives (all of them) a used by regular folks. We don't need alergy commercials with people running barefoot in a field or way-too-beautiful people sitting in bathtubs out in the middle of nowhere...

Regular folks. Doing regular things. Just NOT reaching for an anolog. I'm really impressed with the ideas and buzz this is creating.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Ok, so we are in favor of all smoke-free alternatives. What products does that include? Chewing tobacco, snuff, snus and the e-cig, e-pipe and e-cigar. We are not promoting the use of Chantix or gum or the patch are we? So, of those 4, the electronics are the only ones that will be visable to the public when in use. (Excepting a big wad of chew in somebodies cheek and a spit cup in their hand-are we promoting that? Ewww!) If that's the case, then we really HAVE to feature the electronics in our ads. How else will people know that's what we're all about? We can't have it be so vague that people can't figure out what we're promoting in that 1-2 second glance they will give it. I'm not in advertising but I am a consumer and I know what gets my attention and what doesn't. There has to be something eye-catching and then I will read the text and if it still interests me I will jot down a number or web address. Just my opinion....

What about a man wearing jeans w/ an obvious "snuff ring" standing next to a woman vaping an e-cig? They could be standing apart from a large group of smokers in the background.

Eh, a couple off the top of my head:
    Hope is a feeling, alternatives are real.
    When you're done coughing, let's talk.
    Know your options.
    -Arnold voice- Come with me if you want to live.

Ok I'm done for now.

I love those! Especially "When you'er done coughing, let's talk." and "Come with me if you want to live." since the Governator vetoed SB400 is Gold!

CHUCKLEHEAD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Redneck Rivera

I agree 100% ! The one with the little girl was a wonderful idea! Packs and stuff will still make people think of tobacco. Thats my 2 cents >>And thanks for doing a wonderful job.:thumb:

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    Here my stab at it:

1) Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs. I choose to live outside the pack. (a variation on the "think outside the pack" idea)

2) One thousand Americans stop smoking every day - by dying. My life, my choice, my alternative.

Hmmm...

I see a PSA of a young couple, holding hands and running through empty city streets...cut away to a pack of wild dogs chasing them...they stop to catch their breath and look into each other's eyes, then down at their hands holding lit cigarettes...they throw them down and the dogs fade into mist...

Let me run it by Quentin. He's probably going to want an explosion or two edited in, but I think he'll sign on if we give him a cameo...

kristin

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2009
    CASAA - Wisconsin
    casaa.org
    Just to explain further... I didn't really think my examples were "duckies and bunnies" or random allergy-type commercials (I feel like my contributions are the ones being called that.) The images were meant to actually invoke a positive feeling towards CASAA and the work we are doing.

The woman with the blue sky - taking a breath of fresh air, away from cigarette smoke, she is enjoying freedom from the bondage of analogs and the freedom of choice.

And I already explained the little girl - invokes safeness, gentleness, innocence, fresh air, "save the children" (ie no second hand smoke) and the dandelion floating in the air as something that is an alternative to smoke being blown into the air (ie vapor.)

Neither image was just randomly chosen - they were meant to envoke positive feelings in smokers and non-smokers alike.

We need to remember that we are trying to appeal to non-smokers, too. And that these aren't e-cig or snus ads.

Are people who are already using e-cigs & snus and the like really our target audience? If so, we can create a whole different kind of ad campaign for them. My ads were aimed at non-vapers, smokers and non-smokers.

Also, I think smokers are sick of seeing quit smoking warnings and ads. This is meant to say, "There is an alternative."

Anyhow, just my 2 cent clarification...:oops:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread