Status
Not open for further replies.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Hi all,

Q: Does anybody have experience with using a real bourbon in a CL clone recipe?

I've recently gotten the taste for Castle Long, after not 'getting' it for a long time. Before I got hooked, I made a TFA order for everything I need for a clone, with the exception of the Kentucky Bourbon and Vanilla (Bourbon) flavors - I was thinking I'd make a clone minus the Bourbon. Now that I'm enjoying it WITH the Bourbon, I either need to make a new order for those flavors, or explore the alternative - using a real bourbon in place of the TFA KY Bourbon / TFA Vanilla (Bourbon). Would this be do-able and safe?

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
You can try it but I believe it would need such a large amount of real bourbon that it won't work well. I make my CL clone with FA whiskey and it is pretty good. But you might be onto something, and if you fail at least you tried.

I didn't consider the flavor concentration, good point. For now, I might just suck it up and make another TFA order. But the idea of using real Bourbon is intriguing.. It may be possible to simmer some to evaporate the alcohol and water out of it, leaving a more usable flavor.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
You could definitely evap in a microwave with slow short bursts...the alcohol will evaporate out before the water component of course so just get it to steam and keep it low and slow.

I have experimented with small amounts of normal un-evaporated small batch bourbon added to unflavored juice and it's actually pretty good but just gives a hint of the flavor (which is not at all bad!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread