CE2 Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Ok...so I got to thinking..which is a scary thing!

All the instructions I've seen so far suggest using an old battery to extract the CE2 from the MapTank when it's time to replace them. This sounds like a great idea except that the only old dead battery I have is an old 510 passthrough which is hardly big enough to get your hand around to get a good grip and have any leverage. All the rest of my batteries are larger expensive mods and all are working and I really don't want to tear them up ripping out CE2's.

So I had a thought....I've been looking at the 7mm x .5 tap and dies that are the right size for 510 threads according to the info in the modder's forum. I checked on Amazon and they have the full set of three pieces needed for $18.30. So I ordered the set..should have them next week sometime.

My plan is to get a 1/2" or 3/4" rod (probably aluminum), cut it to about 4-6" long and then tap the end so that I can then thread the CE2 into it and have a nice sturdy handle to wrench the carto out of the tank. If I happen to strip it..I can just tap it out again or cut it off a bit and retap it again.

I'm hoping this works...dunno yet..but I'll letcha know and try and post some photos if it works well..:2cool:

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Isaac...I do other mod work and have been debating buying the set for some time anyway..so this was basically a really good "excuse"...LOL!

Tasteles...excellent thought on the t-handle...I'll definitely incorporate that into the design.

Now I'm just thinking about a method to grab hold of the delrin cap without marring it. It will depend on how much grip and torque I can apply the tool while just holding it. I'm thinking about heavily padding the teeth on a vice grip...I think that along with the t-handle should make it a breeze to get these CE2's out.

Sorry..but I think about these things as I'm 50 and the arthritis is setting into my hands already...so not alot of grip strength like I used to have. I try and let the tools do the work.

throbinskin

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
San Diego
Lately I have been using the unused metal part of the CE2 that I have from cutting a new filler for the map. I have the whole Map taken apart except that dreaded derlin cap with the old E2 stuck in it. With the threaded side down and the left over tube part place just right with the threads inside the tube I lightly tap on the derlin cap with a small hammer (LIGHTLY TAP). enough to where I can get the old CE2 out and pull the left over tube out. It works very easy for me this way. I plan on making a small wood thingymajoby and will post pics. My Idea is getting a small piece of scrap wood - drill a hole in it - glue a small wooden dowel (small enough to fit in original hole of derlin yet wide enough to to push out the old CE2) this will free up my hands instead of trying to keep the pieces together as I tap it out. Just an idea and should not cost me money.

I love my maps..

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Got shipping notification on the tap/die set so should have it by Friday..will gather the other stuff and try and have it built either Friday or Saturday and post something when I do. I'm definitely gonna incorporate the T-handle concept into the design though. That will give easy torque to just twist it out, rather than using grip strength only on the tool. Between using the tool and a pair of padded vice grips, it should be clean and efficient work of extracting the CE2's. The only problem I have now is that they are lasting so long, it may take awhile before I can test my theory...LOL!

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
I just take the bottom cap off, clip the wires, take off the heating element and wicks from the black boot up and push the center post out the bottom. Then I sit the cap with the remainder of the C2 on a 1/2 in. socket and push the rest out with a phillips screwdriver. Only takes a couple of mins.

throbinskin

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
San Diego
I'm not the best with videos....... My partner at work is good. I will see if he can make us one next time at- Friday or Saturday and then I'm taking a month off of work - Expecting our daughter (My son's sister) March 8th.. I will do my best to get him to make a video. I'll be done after this one. Not going to have 15 kids like Bruce LOL !!!! 2 is fine with me - I'm too old for this parenting stuff. My 2 year old is kicking my ...! He was the one that made me want to quit analogs and vape!! I hope to watch them both grow up as long as I can! Never thought/cared/ took good care of myself until my little boy came. Now I just play with toys and watch cartoons and take long walks with him. no more crazy and daring stuff for me - my work is dangerous enough. Lets hope my buddy can do a video!!

Tasteles

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Ohio, USA
I just take the bottom cap off, clip the wires, take off the heating element and wicks from the black boot up and push the center post out the bottom. Then I sit the cap with the remainder of the C2 on a 1/2 in. socket and push the rest out with a phillips screwdriver. Only takes a couple of mins.

That's similar to what I've been doing, only I don't clip the wires. I just yank out the center air tube and pull the wires off.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com

great tip robert and so easy to do.. thanks

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I just cut my first one. My cutter is a bit bigger, but the wheel is the same size. I started to cut, was frustrated and then I found a new purpose for my husband. Yep, if you thought Bruce made it look easy, my man had it looking like a piece of cake. I knew there was a reason for keeping him! LOL!

My ce's had the black paper. I tore off the paper and it left a bit of gunk. He said the paper throws off the wheel, as does the leftover so next time he's gonna take the heat gun and remove it for me and then cut them. I'll probably just have him cut all of them at one crack for me.

Oh, I gotta add, I didn't pull the washers out so when I pulled the ce out of the tube, the rings were left, just used a pen and pushed them out. Didn't have a bitty screw driver available. :)

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Ok..as promised, pics of my new CE2 removal tool. Not the final product yet, but I'm working on it. This was a first shot test run using the new tap/die set for 510 threading. It works extremely well, but it's a bit cumbersome still. I'm working on a smaller T-handle design as well. All you really need is a good grip and a bit of twist action to get them in and out easily and I think a T-handle will give the proper control. And for those that say it's overkill, yeah..it probably is, but all my batteries work and don't want to trash them. I don't feel guilty or nervous at all giving this bolt a good torque.

DSC00966.jpg

DSC00967.jpg

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
I had planned to use a socket/nut driver, which is why I chose to drill the bolt, but it was a bit cumbersome and I can actually manage it fairly well with just using my hand to twist. I wrap a pair of pliers with paper towel for padding and use that to grip the delrin cap, just give it a good twist and it comes right out. It's intact too, so I can put it back in or swap out diff ohm cartos. My next version will have the T-handle...I promise!! And it will be much smaller too!

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
I had planned to use a socket/nut driver, which is why I chose to drill the bolt, but it was a bit cumbersome and I can actually manage it fairly well with just using my hand to twist. I wrap a pair of pliers with paper towel for padding and use that to grip the delrin cap, just give it a good twist and it comes right out. It's intact too, so I can put it back in or swap out diff ohm cartos. My next version will have the T-handle...I promise!! And it will be much smaller too!

Cool! How much to make me one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread