RDA Center post changing color??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So this just started happening in my Archon rda. It's supposed to be SS, never happened to me before with any other rdas. Anyone know what's going on?

It's showing a weird reflective color in the pic but to my eye it just looks like it's turning brown.

10c8550fdd56eadd0ce664ca0b31ac6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Hard to tell from that Picture.

One thing that can happen is if a Screw is Not a "Stainless Steel", or is a Low Chromium steel alloy, that Iron Oxides can Bleed from the Screw to the Surrounding Metal.

Have you taken the Screws out and looked at them?

No. I need to look at the screw. But I do notice that the entire positive post is turning brown.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No. I need to look at the screw. But I do notice that the entire positive post is turning brown.

Yeah... I would do a Complete tear-down and Examine every component for signs of Oxidation.

You might also want to hit the Post with some Fine Steel Wool and see if it shines up.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Yeah... I would do a Complete tear-down and Examine every component for signs of Oxidation.

You might also want to hit the Post with some Fine Steel Wool and see if it shines up.

Well I emailed CCI to tell them. Never had this problem with a clone, funny I'm having it with an authentic. Anyway, do you think it is still safe to vape? I could change it out to the supplied copper center post, but who knows if that would be better or worse for health reasons...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well I emailed CCI to tell them. Never had this problem with a clone, funny I'm having it with an authentic. Anyway, do you think it is still safe to vape? I could change it out to the supplied copper center post, but who knows if that would be better or worse for health reasons...

I dunno. Probably isn't Anything to Worry about. But I don't like Giving advise to Anyone regarding what May or May Not be OK based on a Picture on a Forum.

Take your RDA apart. See what happens when you Clean it. Or what happens when you rub it with some Fine Steel Wool. Maybe even consider taking it to a B&M or showing it to someone you know who Vapes.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
My Derringer had some slight brown on the posts last time I cleaned and recoiled it.. Just took a little cleaning and it was back to normal, hopefully yours will have the same result! Id be more worried about using the copper post, as Ive gotten copper sulfate poisoning before when I was a kid.. Pretty sure it was the citric acid in the fruit that was in the bowl that caused it to start turning green and toxic (was a fruit salad mom made with dinner). Now THAT wasnt fun, and ALOT of juices have slight amounts of citric acid in them.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
My Derringer had some slight brown on the posts last time I cleaned and recoiled it.. Just took a little cleaning and it was back to normal, hopefully yours will have the same result! Id be more worried about using the copper post, as Ive gotten copper sulfate poisoning before when I was a kid.. Pretty sure it was the citric acid in the fruit that was in the bowl that caused it to start turning green and toxic (was a fruit salad mom made with dinner). Now THAT wasnt fun, and ALOT of juices have slight amounts of citric acid in them.

I would Never Consider using Copper for Any Part that is going to come in Contact with an e-Liquid.

I went and Read the Description for the OP's RDA. It says it comes with a Extra Center Post which is Copper. The First thing I would do if it was My RDA would be to Throw that Copper Post in the Recycling Bin.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I love Fruit Salad! Was it yogurt based? Mmmm, fruit...

No it was thing she used to make years ago that was basically chopped up apples, bananas, and mayo. THINK that was all that was in it. She put it in a copper bowl, we all sat down for dinner. I used to inhale that stuff whenever she made it so I ate a bunch before I even started the rest of dinner and at some point my dad noticed the bowl and salad start turning green. Think I was like 5 or 6 maybe (this had to be back in like 80-82 because of the house we lived in when it happened). Mom broke out the syrup of Ipecac and I spent the whole night throwing up in the bathroom heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread