Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I must admit I am impressed with the Chalice III. Set up with 2.2 ohm on a LP VV Grand, this tiny little masterpiece delivers a superior vape ! :thumb:

Stellar combo PapaB. I've always wished I could put my Chalice II (later Chalice III's) on my OG VVG. I could with the well diameter opened up some, but I won't modify my pieces of Reo history Reos. Also why I'm stuck with the Hornet on my OG Mini.

Reactions: JC Okie

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Stellar combo PapaB. I've always wished I could put my Chalice II (later Chalice III's) on my OG VVG. I could with the well diameter opened up some, but I won't modify my pieces of Reo history Reos. Also why I'm stuck with the Hornet on my OG Mini.

This particular VV Grand (I have three) was sent back to Porcupine Central to be lowered. Although, it looks to me like it could fit, close, in a Reos juice well. Haven't actually tried.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Me bad, sorry PapaB. Was thinking the OG VVG was the same as the OG Mini with a Hornet on it (a combo that I don't really like). What happens sometimes when your bone tired old, seldom sleep and have not done so much for days, wires cross. :oops:

I'd have to free a Chalice up from another Reo and rebuild it above sub ohm for the OG VVG. I guess in part why I've never done it, they work very well where they are, and the RM2 has been working stellar on the OG VVG ever since I got it.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Gotta weird question for a very dumb move I made and not sure where to ask so here it is. In a big hurry to get outta the office yesterday, I threw my vape gear in my purse (dumb move 1)and was running out the door when I was called back in to talk to the boss man and a manufacturer rep real quick.

Laid my purse on the chair behind me, sat down and leaned on my purse (dumb move 2) and was talking. Next thing I know, I smell burning and see a bit of smoke outta my purse. Ran side and dumped my entire contents of my purse in the snow (kinda a dumb move).

Anyway, I completely forgot I had my REO Mini in a side pocket, unlocked and I was firing it as I leaned on my purse. The atty got so hot, it was slightly burning a little piece of paper next to it. Of all atties, it was DAYUM Chalice II. UGH!!!

My question is, how can I tell if I fried my mod or atty? I haven't even looked at them yet because I'm sick to my stomach at such a stupid move. Someone told me to check the insulator in the atty but I don't know where that is on the Chalice. Thanks for any help.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Gotta weird question for a very dumb move I made and not sure where to ask so here it is. In a big hurry to get outta the office yesterday, I threw my vape gear in my purse (dumb move 1)and was running out the door when I was called back in to talk to the boss man and a manufacturer rep real quick.

Laid my purse on the chair behind me, sat down and leaned on my purse (dumb move 2) and was talking. Next thing I know, I smell burning and see a bit of smoke outta my purse. Ran side and dumped my entire contents of my purse in the snow (kinda a dumb move).

Anyway, I completely forgot I had my REO Mini in a side pocket, unlocked and I was firing it as I leaned on my purse. The atty got so hot, it was slightly burning a little piece of paper next to it. Of all atties, it was DAYUM Chalice II. UGH!!!

My question is, how can I tell if I fried my mod or atty? I haven't even looked at them yet because I'm sick to my stomach at such a stupid move. Someone told me to check the insulator in the atty but I don't know where that is on the Chalice. Thanks for any help.

Yikes. Quick thinking to extinguish the contents, though, and that act wouldn't damage any of your gear.

The reo itself, at least, should be fine, but you should test it all in pieces...

* Try another atty on the reo to make sure the mini is functioning correctly. Reos, as you know, are nigh indestructible and don't have any really temperature sensitive parts - it should be fine, but inspect the button and delrin insert, as these might be affected by high heat. Also, if you have an older 510 connector, there is a slight chance that you might have damaged its insulation. If the reo fires another atty with no heating of the battery, then you know that you haven't mucked the contacts or introduced a short of any kind. Check back in here if the mod does not fire an atty or you get abnormal heat produced (stop immediately if this does happen) and we can go from there. Note that if a hard short has been introduced, the spring would most likely drop as a safety precaution/feature.

* The chalice you can check on an ohm checker. Inspect it visually first, and if it looks okay (no signs of melting/deformation/etc), put a quick build in it and test this on the ohm checker - not on a mod. If it's damaged in a way that would prohibit use, it should register a wonky reading - usually either "---" (hard short) or the reading will jump around wildly (partial short).

* If you can get a stable, within expected range, reading with the chalice on an ohm checker and your mini fires the other test atty fine, you can try the chalice on the mini to see if it fires okay.

The good news is that you have pretty much the most indestructible gear on the planet. Chances should be good that you haven't really damaged any of it.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Ok thank you so much. Do you know where I can get spare insulators for the Chalice if I fried the insulator? Like you said, the REO I think is gonna be ok (even dunked in a mountain of snow :facepalm:) But I have a feeling the insulator is probably melted.

And this should be fun inspecting the REO parts since I'm an idiot with this stuff! UGH

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Not sure where you'd get an insulator repaired/replaced on the chalice other than manufacturer, but test it first to see if that's a moot point.

As for inspecting the reo parts, just take a look at the non-metal parts to see if there is deformity. The button may be a bit melted and this would impair its operation. The delrin might be out of place and this could affect firing pin travel (it's chief function). The 510 insulation is a) only in play if you have one of the older 510's, and b) only really obviously wrong if it's oozing out of the connection channel.

Reactions: AngiBe

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Not sure where you'd get an insulator repaired/replaced on the chalice other than manufacturer, but test it first to see if that's a moot point.

As for inspecting the reo parts, just take a look at the non-metal parts to see if there is deformity. The button may be a bit melted and this would impair its operation. The delrin might be out of place and this could affect firing pin travel (it's chief function). The 510 insulation is a) only in play if you have one of the older 510's, and b) only really obviously wrong if it's oozing out of the connection channel.

Thanks again so much! :thumb:

Reactions: Papa_Lazarou

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Ok thank you so much. Do you know where I can get spare insulators for the Chalice if I fried the insulator? Like you said, the REO I think is gonna be ok (even dunked in a mountain of snow :facepalm:) But I have a feeling the insulator is probably melted.

And this should be fun inspecting the REO parts since I'm an idiot with this stuff! UGH

If I remember you have a different later version of CII than I do GalPal? While I have taken the CIII caps completely apart to modify the AFC, I've never taken the base itself apart on any of mine, CII or CIII. Their center pin does take a hex so assume that might hold the base together (that could also be a press fit like the caps), would also assume the posts screw into something in the base. I'm about 99.99% sure that if you want spare internal parts the only place to get them would be from Mark himself (if he has any). Check the Chalice out as Papa suggested, you may find that it is near as indestructible as the Reo. :)

Last edited:

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
Its a trip back to Mark in Romania for any repair, especially if parts are needed
Check the base with an ohm meter between pos and neg posts, should be infinite
If not I would just scrap it and take the loss, I did that with an Infinity from the classifieds
It was junk when I bought it

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
@Spydro , ya kno...I can't remember which version I have. I know I bought one of them off the classies but I can't rememeber if it's my II or III. I'm thinkin it was the II. Guess I need to search the forum and see if I can find it. I bought it from a super cool REOnaut but forgetting who :facepalm:

Thanks for the help everyone. I still haven't even looked at it yet bcuz it literally makes me sick. Was my fav atty and I'm worried I destroyed it. I'm going to suck it up and check it out this weekend. May post pics here if I see some questionable stuff and need further help.

I might email Rob, since he sells the CIII now, and see if he has spare insulators? Never know. Plus my REO Mini can get a spa and be checked out for damage. 2+ yrs vaping and I've been very cautious not to do stupid moves like that.

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
If it was me, and I'm not recommending this, but I'd be tempted to clean it all up, rebuild it, test it carefully on a meter, wiggle it, tap on it, bang it around a little and use it cautiously for a while if everything checks out right. If it's screwed up, it seems like the worst that could happen is a dropped spring.

xtreme101

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
New York
Got my chalice 3 today!!! After a screwed up delivery on Saturday , she is taking a bath now. Can't wait to slap a build on it. This is the sexiest little atty I have ever layed my hands on!!

112800_th.gif

~ Sexy Chalice's~

PicShop-75E7A6A0ED9AEA4F683D41C9D92FA3ED.png

PicShop-EF90083D633D4009E51FC5823B709A57.png

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
It's common to short, coil against cap - it's a tight space!
I'd always check on an ohm-meter with the cap ON before putting it on a Reo and firing...

Just put a .8 micro coil ( I am a simple man of simple needs) in this little beauty and couldn't be happier. I did collapse a spring however. There was a small burr in the top cap and she shorted out on me. Rookie mistake from a veteran builder .... My bad for being overzealous

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
Any news on a chalice v4? Wanted to get the v3 but not at end of product cycle. And with mark bigamist tough to gauge. Sometimes yearly sometimes 8 weeks.

I need to go through this whole thread and get caught up on what to watch out for. So indoor lose springs etc.

Also does it come with a parts bag? The gem didn't. Then it did.

For now I'm Just running it On a. Steamcrave but id like to get a rio mini 2 I think if I take to it. It would have to displace the gem and wae in 500 mode though

Also does the chalice v3 work as a dripper without dripping down the middle ? I'm relatively new to squonking and some do and some don't.

This is the last shot I'll be giving squonking I think. So hopefully it works out!

Standard gem build is 1.3 ohms roughly. I'll have to figure out what you all prefer and give he chalice a shot with those

Thanks for the info all. I look forward to tying the Mark bugs bfa offerings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread