Change coil when resistance changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
I've been noticing this with my nautilus mini run on istick. I start with a fresh coil head at 1.8. Few days and it is 1.9. One more day and it reads it at 2.0. I then I start noticing a tiny change in taste. Or maybe it's just all in my head. I know this rise in resistance is normal and expected. But my question is this a sign (early one maybe) that you need to change the coil?

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I wouldn't dry burn cotton. And I wouldn't use a coil that's not cotton, so..

As for flavor change, new coils always taste the best to me and the flavor dwindles until it tastes bad. I used to rebuild my premade coils so I always had plenty to swap but when I was buying them, I'm a cheap basted so I waited until it was pretty bad lol.. Its up to you when you change it. It won't hurt you, well until it's all gunked up and dry burning.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I haven't seen one reach 2.0 ohms. I agree with Ou2 and would rebuild the old coils. The supplies I bought to rebuild have paid for themselves 5x over so far. I also rebuild for my subtank and rdas, and even sometimes, for friends. You will get better flavor for about .10 a piece. Less if you buy bulk wire.

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been noticing this with my nautilus mini run on istick. I start with a fresh coil head at 1.8. Few days and it is 1.9. One more day and it reads it at 2.0. I then I start noticing a tiny change in taste. Or maybe it's just all in my head. I know this rise in resistance is normal and expected. But my question is this a sign (early one maybe) that you need to change the coil?

1:
No.
If a coil ITSELF changed by 0.1 ohm in a few days that would bulge my eyes out.

2:
Most likely the variation in ohms is due to other things, not the coil; like centerpin contact, and liquid on electrical contact.

Once you get that change in taste though, that's time to change/clean the coil

Reactions: DoctorJ

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I wouldn't dry burn cotton. And I wouldn't use a coil that's not cotton, so..

Nobody dry burns cotton. Or if they do, they only do it once. Cotton is especially nice because it allows your coils to last longer - you can rewick!

Your coils will take on added resistance when first fired up, and again as the coil becomes gunked up. If you don't presently dry burn, that will explain the initial bump of 0.1ohm, since the coil wasn't "broken in" first. The second bump is almost certainly from your coil getting dirty, especially on high VG or dark juices.

Now, if your coil is showing different readings erratically, that's a problem to be dealt with immediately, since it signals a short or a loose connection or any number of nasty things.

My best suggestion is simply to clean your coils. Get some cotton for rewicking and you're off to the races. I prefer the dry burn method myself, but you can absolutely avoid it if you want, by washing the coils under hot water (just take the base out and let it soak). If you use a lower gauge wire, scrubbing the coils will really make a difference, but you do risk warping

Reactions: wetclay

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
These are the pre-built BVC replacements for nautilus mini. I doubt they are dry burnt and I'm not sure what they use for wicking in them.
So it seems 0.1 or 0.2 bump in resistance is not a big deal. I will be re-building them, so I don't really need or want to wait until they start tasting funny. I'm looking for an earlier sign. The last coil I had was 1.8, went up to 1.9 next day then to 2.0 three or four days later. There was a slight (doubtful) change in taste. It definitely was still good, but I wanted to take a look at the coil. It looked fine externally, but when I disassembled the head and pulled the coil & wick I was really surprised at the amount of gunk. I just wonder if I should have changed it earlier.

DoctorJ

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
1:
No.
If a coil ITSELF changed by 0.1 ohm in a few days that would bulge my eyes out.

2:
Most likely the variation in ohms is due to other things, not the coil; like centerpin contact, and liquid on electrical contact.

Once you get that change in taste though, that's time to change/clean the coil

I use the same set up and I see the same thing on a regular basis. If you get a big change in vape production or taste, then it's time to clean the coil. I use a vodka/water solution. Let soak for 5-6 hours, rinse throughly, blow out the vodka/water solution from the top of the coil and let dry overnight. I would never try to dry burn a cotton coil as a previous poster mentioned. You take the chance of having a burnt taste for however much longer you use the coil. Last thing, I get a lot of use out of the Nautilus coils. Don't give up on them until the resistance is really stupid high or the output is really low. Cleaning the coil can almost give you the feel of a new coil.

Also what Baditude said about increasing the wattage/voltage!

Reactions: wetclay

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
When I used premaid coils I changed them when resistance went 0.2 ohm up. In the beginning I was using them for longer time, but than I decided not to.

My reasoning:
Premaid coils usually have welded low-resistance legs (weld spot - weak spot). Usually coil starts to thin in this place (thinner wire - higher resistance). It is developing hot spot and, when thin enough, it can just burn out at this spot. Burned wire = influx of metal in all directions, including vaper's mouth. So, I changed coils in advance.

P.S. I have used 2 coils till they burned out. Starting with 1.8 ohm one went up to 2.4 ohm, another one - up to 2.2 ohm. The both were burnt at welding spot.
P.P.S. Change in flavor could be due to a hot spot.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
When I used premaid coils I changed them when resistance went 0.2 ohm up. In the beginning I was using them for longer time, but than I decided not to.

My reasoning:
Premaid coils usually have welded low-resistance legs (weld spot - weak spot). Usually coil starts to thin in this place (thinner wire - higher resistance). It is developing hot spot and, when thin enough, it can just burn out at this spot. Burned wire = influx of metal in all directions, including vaper's mouth. So, I changed coils in advance.

P.S. I have used 2 coils till they burned out. Starting with 1.8 ohm one went up to 2.4 ohm, another one - up to 2.2 ohm. The both were burnt at welding spot.
P.P.S. Change in flavor could be due to a hot spot.

I doubt there are many if any premade coils with welded and/or low-resistance legs.
The common protank coils for example just have the wire squeezed between a silicone/rubber grommet an the metal contact points. With the coil being subject to wetness, it's no surprise that there would be a 0.1 or 0.2 ohm variation especially over time as corrosion develops

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I doubt there are many if any premade coils with welded and/or low-resistance legs.
The common protank coils for example just have the wire squeezed between a silicone/rubber grommet an the metal contact points. With the coil being subject to wetness, it's no surprise that there would be a 0.1 or 0.2 ohm variation especially over time as corrosion develops
I am sure protank coils are welded, like these ones (they are perfect for recoiling protank heads; they do not heat rubber grommet):
$2.05 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 33 AWG / 1.8ohm / 30*30mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I do not think any corrosion is developing in coils (especially in my juices, with are almost non-flavored).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread