Bulgaria
Hello, guys!

I'm asking for advice

Now I use:
2.5mm, 28ga, SS316L, 7wraps, 0.7ohm
But I think of switching to:
2.5mm, 28ga, Ni80, 7 wraps, ~ 1ohm.

What is going to be the difference?
(except: less vapor, shorter ramp up time, power save)
Will it taste better?
Does this experiment make any sense to try?

Regards!
And vape on :)

Reactions: Superuser187

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Hello. I don't use TC at all, and in my use (mostly VV or just plain mech), 3/10ths of an ohm wouldn't make much difference. However, since you're using TC, and going to use a different type of wire, it might just do that. I can't say what the difference, if any, will be.

tiluid

May 9, 2017
    Bulgaria
    If u use a mod with chip and vw mode and not a mechanical mod then u wont see any difference...
    Except the difference in flavour that some people say they notice when they change wire materials..
    Myself i dont notice difference from wire material
    OK, thanks, @Superuser187, I'll consider this too :)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    OK, thanks, @Superuser187, I'll consider this too :)

I use SS because of the cleaner taste... I've never used TC.

Do note, that even if you can taste the metal you do get used to it after a bit... it just may not end up being your preference...

Miles Himan

Moved On
    Sep 25, 2021
    The main advantage I can see is being able to "dry burn" your coils. I do this when I first install a coil (before adding the wick) to check for "got spots" and to get an idea of how many watts to use while vaping. Also when getting ready to re-wick it helps clean the coil. Otherwise, you won't see much difference (as mentioned)
    On the other hand, I have considered using SS because of what @Opinionated said.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Hello, guys!

I'm asking for advice

Now I use:
    2.5mm, 28ga, SS316L, 7wraps, 0.7ohm
    But I think of switching to:
    2.5mm, 28ga, Ni80, 7 wraps, ~ 1ohm.

What is going to be the difference?
    (except: less vapor, shorter ramp up time, power save)
    Will it taste better?
    Does this experiment make any sense to try?

Regards!
    And vape on :)
    Not much, you pretty much mentioned all of the noticeable differences. Taste in metal as some people mentioned might be detected, and possibly a noticeable touch/feel temperature change of the atomizer cap over rapid, consistent use.

tiluid

May 9, 2017
    Bulgaria
    Hello, guys and many thanks for your useful and informative replies :thumbs:

As long as I understand my present build is not so bad and I won't taste big difference of the change I asked about

So maybe one fused clapton Ni80 2x29/40, 2.5mm, ~0.9ohm, 6-7wraps will do a good job
    I only wonder what wattage would fit best

It won't be economic but very very tasty :drool:

Kind regards and vape on :thumb:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Hello, guys and many thanks for your useful and informative replies :thumbs:

As long as I understand my present build is not so bad and I won't taste big difference of the change I asked about

So maybe one fused clapton Ni80 2x29/40, 2.5mm, ~0.9ohm, 6-7wraps will do a good job
    I only wonder what wattage would fit best

It won't be economic but very very tasty :drool:

Kind regards and vape on :thumb:

I usually vape 2x30/38 or 3x30/38 5 or 6 wraps 2.5 or 3mm depending on the atty but the one u mention is good also i just dont like 40 outer wire cause i think it gunks up a little faster and lose flavour sooner...

I vape airy mouth to lung and to give u an idea i use from 2mm outer airflow hole or bigger depending the atomizer... And usually eitu those fused coils at those wraps i vape from 17watts up to 25watts again depending the atomizer and the airflow...

I only use simple round wire on very tight attys rarely that i want a tight vape at low wattage..

U shouls try but the wattage u ginna vape depends on the atty the airflow u use or how u vape i am sure u will find your sweet spot but with the coil u mention wnd the wraps i an guessing u will vape it at least at 17watts cause lower maybe takes tooo much to heat up.....
    Ofc there are no rules just try it and see how u like it....enjoy

tiluid

May 9, 2017
    Bulgaria
    Hello, comrades

Finally, as I had free time, patience and $1 for 1m wire, I decided to do the experiment and to build my beloved Dvarw with: 2.5mm coil, kanthal a1, 27ga, 6wraps, 0.9ohms, 16 watts, 3.8 volts

And, as you all kindly warned me, I found no difference in overall performance and taste

Only I noticed that compared to the old configuration, at the same watts, the voltage is higher and now I'm worried that the battery will run out faster

I hope this difference is also negligible

The variant with the fused clapton will be even more uneconomical and I'll skip it for now till the next time I feel the desire for improvements

So you were all right, but I couldn't help myself

Best regards

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Only I noticed that compared to the old configuration, at the same watts, the voltage is higher and now I'm worried that the battery will run out faster
    This is actually better, meaning your amp draw on the battery is lower, since Wattage = Voltage * Amps.

Based on the above information, you're drawing 16 Watts / 3.8 Volts which = 4.21 Amps from the battery. You can double check this by dividing 3.8 Volts by the 0.9 coil resistance. 3.8 Volts / 0.9 Ohms = 4.22 Amps. Close enough. If less Voltage is being used, say 3 Volts, then 16 Watts / 3 Volts would = 5.33 Amps; a raise in Amp draw. Assuming you have batteries with a Continuous Discharge Rate of greater than 7.5 or 10 Amps, then you'll be just fine in either case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread