Changing the coils in a Rta and Voltage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sareban

Oct 31, 2017
Hi, i am a moderate experienced user in vaping for more than 6 months and i never get to use the ECF forum except reading. I have two questions regarding the health issues. I use flash e-vapor vs, kayfun lite plus v2, kayfun prime and have used couple of rta's like those. My first question is how long does a coil should last. Do you change them every 3 to 4 days or do you stick to one for months.
And there is a controversial subject regarding the voltage of the atomizer. I have seen some researches stating that with the augmentation of voltage, the aldehydes (like formaldehyde) begin to occur. So is it true that with 1.3 ohms and 4 volts it is less healthy than 0.7 ohms and 3.5 volts ?
Thank you so much and i am sorry for my English errors as I am from Turkey. :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
How long a coil lasts depends on lots of factors like the juice you use, how much wattage and the way you vape it.
Generally the cotton is what wears out and gets gunked up not the coil. Remove and replace the cotton and then heat the coil on it's own to burn off the crud. Put new cotton in and it's like new. Eventually the coil will degrade but it takes months. How long is for your own taste to decide.

The production of harmful chemicals like aldehydes and formaldehyde is caused extremely high temperatures, it's not directly related to the voltage used or resistance of the coil. Temperatures this high would mean that the vape would taste disgusting or burn your throat, you would know.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi, i am a moderate experienced user in vaping for more than 6 months and i never get to use the ECF forum except reading. I have two questions regarding the health issues. I use flash e-vapor vs, kayfun lite plus v2, kayfun prime and have used couple of rta's like those. My first question is how long does a coil should last. Do you change them every 3 to 4 days or do you stick to one for months.
And there is a controversial subject regarding the voltage of the atomizer. I have seen some researches stating that with the augmentation of voltage, the aldehydes (like formaldehyde) begin to occur. So is it true that with 1.3 ohms and 4 volts it is less healthy than 0.7 ohms and 3.5 volts ?

Hi and welcome,
I re-wick about every 10 days or when flavour drops. I recoil monthly or so. SS/Rayon

The "bad" stuff comes at high temps.
Rule of thumb: if it tastes burnt...it's probably not good for you.

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, there are best practices to keep your temperatures down. Use some PG in your mix (or, 10% water if you can only use VG, it has a lower boiling point than PG. Don't chain vape. If you feel your tank heating up, put it down for a bit. Buy more than one setup so you can rotate in chain vaping. Keep watts (or volts) as low as you can to get a satisfying vape.

Temp Control mode will dial in a safe temp (below 420F is the magic number, I believe) for that you would need a TC mod and a TC coil (stainless steel is considered the best in that regard, and you can use it in wattage OR temp mode. With that said, there is no huge rush to get to TC, I vaped for about 3 months before doing so and I still have some wattage/voltage setups in rotation, that don't use TC coils. I have gotten to the point that I feel pretty comfortable with all my setups.

I don't quite see how VV versus VW is really different, it's just a different way of calculating as far as I know? If you are feeling your tank getting hot or getting burnt tastes, your volts are too high, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just do what you can to make sure you are keeping your temps cool or warm but not blazing hot. A dry hit definitely releases some undesirable byproducts, that would be a thing to try and avoid, but a dry hit here and there isn't really going to harm you, longitudinally, unless it is happening a lot.

As far as coils, you can dry burn them after removing the wick and they tend to last a lot longer than 2--3 days, more like months, depending on your use habits, etc. I would hate to recoil my RTAs every 2--3 days, and I use a rayon wick as it lasts longer and doesn't burn.

Best of luck,

Anna

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US

It's not so much the voltage at the coils that are the concern, it is the actual wattage supplied, which does tie to the volts, but wattage is more finely accurate as you can have disparity of resistance (ohms) between coils as you have stated above. Kayfun class RTA tanks are my preferred and favorite devices due to their ease of maintenance and one of the most flavorful mouth to lung vapes on the market. These tanks operate very well in the 0.7 to 1.8ohm resistance range at about 8 to 20 watts depending on the coil (1.8ohm at about 8 watts where a 0.7ohm run beautifully at around 20watts). Unless you are running the tank dry and your airflow regulator adjustment is to restrictive, aldehydes really are not an issue with a Kayfun class tank, I've been running Kayfun Lites, Kayfun Lite Plus v2's, Russian 91%'s, Kayfun 4's, and Kayfun 5's for well going on 4years now and no issues with aldehydes, generally 1.2 to 1.5ohm coils in the 8 to 12watts ranges.

Being that they are rebuildable, and if you are really concerned about formation of aldehydes, you can always build them to run in Temperature Control mode, though your mod must have the programming and support to go into TC mode. These requires investment in exotic to semi-exotic metal wire, namely Nickel Ni200 (Ni200 Nickel TC Mode Only, can not be dry fired cleaned), Titanium Ti1 (Ti1 Titanium TC Mode Only, can not be dry fired clean), or Stainless Steel 316L (SS316L TC Mode or Wattage Mode, can be dry fired clean), given SS316L can run in either mode and you have health issues SS316L is your best option here given dry firing Ti1 Titanium can form titanium-dioxide and Nickel Ni200 has such a low melting point it can enter the vapor aerosol SS316L has neither of these issues. TC Mode you set your ramp up wattage (most mods, Kanger mods in TC mode it auto sets max watts of the device), after which you then set the max cap temperature of the wire, the coil reading has to be locked in at cold room temperature and that Ohm reading locked in to be accurate, as metal heats, resistance rises in the wire, the mod reads this increase in real time and calculates the temperature based on that resistance increase, once TC cap is reached in PWM (pulse width modulates) the voltage/wattage to maintain temp, it can also guess and detect when the wicking is getting dry, thus reducing chances of scorching the wicking. Setting the Temp Cap below aldehyde and acrolein gas (pg and vg at high high temps) does not allow the formation of these things so might be an option to look at in the future, my Kayfun V5 I use an SS316L coil in at about 0.5ohm, set to 25watts, and 480F (sweet tobacco flavored juices like RY4's) to 430F (fruit flavored liquids) or 390F (unflavored nic juices).

On the subject of rebuilding each refill or few refills, or just remove wick, dry fire, and rewick, I run majority of my Kayfun coils until they either pop or are just about to pop, depending on the juice as well (certain juice flavors don't dry fire off out of the coil wire sometimes and bleed into another flavor for to long, example menthols or annice), or in the case of Ni200 and Ti1 wire I rebuild each time the wicking needs changing as they can not be dry fired clean, I rebuild coils about every 2 to 3 months, dry fire and rewick about every week with my Kanthal, NiChrome 80, and SS316L coils.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
As I've said many time in various places, one of the problems of the internet is information that never goes away, becomes outdated or even ever challenged.
Totally Wicked (e-cigs/liquid) did some tests a few years ago. It was no surprise that running low power coils at higher volts coils caused some trouble. Of course, people just see an amount of volts and said "ooh, that's scary" and those numbers still float around out there in internet land.
What we know now is that there are plenty of modern coils capable of serious watts without such concern. It is also disappointing to discover that some early clearomizers were not as 'clean' vaping as we hoped. For example a basic disposable CE4 compared to an Aspire BVC or Kanger OCC does not put the CE4 in a very good light.
If you are rebuilding, you will know how things taste and how high/low you can set the watts for your coils. I say, don't worry.... trust your intuition.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Do you change them every 3 to 4 days or do you stick to one for months.

I make my own coils and vape very clean, clear ejuices, and I also vape unflavored. My coils last for weeks. When/if they get gunky, I gently pulse them to burn off the gunk, rinse, dry and rewick. So just keep an eye on them when you change your wick.

The studies are still ongoing, and we don't have definitive answers, but researchers are trying to figure it out. It's complicated and a bit controversial subject--if you want to know more, you might be intersted in reading this thread--it's long, but there's a lot of good information in there. :D

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The production of harmful chemicals like aldehydes and formaldehyde is caused extremely high temperatures, it's not directly related to the voltage used or resistance of the coil. Temperatures this high would mean that the vape would taste disgusting or burn your throat, you would know.

Actually, it starts at ~420°F. And no, you can't "tell" if your atty has reached that temperature, unfortunately.

New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

@Sareban Are those levels of aldehydes dangerous? I don't know. Probably somewhat. Every vaper should do his/her own risk assessment. But if you want to play it safe (and if you don't want to read that long thread ;)), switch to TC and stay under 420°F. If you don't want to switch, vape defensively and try to not overheat your coil--use lower gauge wires that don't overheat quickly, choose atomizers with plenty of airflow, don't chain vape, make sure that your wick wicks well and is always wet, etc.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
That means bad stuff comes nly with dryhits ?

Nope. Bad stuff starts being produced at 420°F and you may never be aware of it (as explained above). When you get a dry hit, it's really, really, really bad stuff. Basically, it's worse that smoking. :D

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I believe you have an answers to your questions. One point I would like to make, vaping is infinitely safer than smoking.
Might like to read:
Publications - The Leaflet: Vaping Less Harmful than Smoking | Heartland Institute
http://www.vapewild.com/the-wild-blogger/vapewild-test-results/
http://www.thevaperstable.com/videos/variable-voltage-versus-variable-wattage
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
The actual wire part of the coil can last weeks into months depending on the wire. I use only kanthal and SS wire, not the other fancy types. The thinner the wire like 30 or 32 gauge kanthal does weaken over time like within just a few times of dryburning a rewicking then begin to distort when your trying to rewick. 28 gauge is somewhat more robust the more thicker wire(24, 26 gauge) the longer the coil can last. Its the wicking that craps out long before the coil along with the sweeter and darker the juice the faster the wicking dies, cotton a few days and rayon much longer. I build claptons that last literally several months before I retire the coil and in most cases there was no need yet to change the coil but I wanted to change the ohms so new coil had to be built.
Using a kayfun your pretty well capped at 28 gauge wire cause IMO with 26 gauge there isn't enough airflow nor space to supply low ohm coils, even with 28 building anything below.8ohm is risking hot vaping from lack of airflow. I've been building kayfuns and subtank mini's for a few years now and with kayfun builds I like to hang around 1.0ohm for the best vapes cause I learned a long time ago with protanks with their lack of airflow and lower ohm builds can ruin your vape mighty fast.

I have seen some researches stating that with the augmentation of voltage, the aldehydes (like formaldehyde) begin to occur.
Its all scare tactics and BS just to scare the general masses to be anti vaping. I smoked 4000 chemicals for 35 years and now just a couple chemicals that some fly-by-night test lab came up with using the wrong conditions that the normal vaper would never come close to. I've been vaping almost 5 years now and the only con I have is now I have the energy, lung capacity and ability to do more chores without sitting down every few minutes getting my breath back or having a smoke. Being able to smell, taste foods again that smoking had masked for the last 35 years and have pocket money is just the perks of vaping.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Its all scare tactics and BS just to scare the general masses to be anti vaping. I smoked 4000 chemicals for 35 years and now just a couple chemicals that some fly-by-night test lab came up with using the wrong conditions that the normal vaper would never come close to. I've been vaping almost 5 years now and the only con I have is now I have the energy, lung capacity and ability to do more chores without sitting down every few minutes getting my breath back or having a smoke. Being able to smell, taste foods again that smoking had masked for the last 35 years and have pocket money is just the perks of vaping.

We're all entitled to our own opinions. If you choose to ignore testing, that's your call for yourself. But describing data published by investigators on the faculty of universities/medical centers and published in peer reviewed journals, as being "scare tactics, BS, and fly by night test lab" is not being intellectually honest.

If you feel that going from smoking thousands of chemicals to just a few with vaping is sufficient for you, that's your individual choice. But it might not be for others, especially when avoiding those few remaining chemicals known to be toxic can be avoided and still have a nice vape. No one is saying vaping is bad, even in those studies you do not consider valid or believe somehow bash vaping.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
We're all entitled to our own opinions. If you choose to ignore testing, that's your call for yourself. But describing data published by investigators on the faculty of universities/medical centers and published in peer reviewed journals, as being "scare tactics, BS, and fly by night test lab" is not being intellectually honest.

If you feel that going from smoking thousands of chemicals to just a few with vaping is sufficient for you, that's your individual choice. But it might not be for others, especially when avoiding those few remaining chemicals known to be toxic can be avoided and still have a nice vape. No one is saying vaping is bad, even in those studies you do not consider valid or believe somehow bash vaping.

Some of those same folks consider vaping to be in the realm of 90% - 95% safer than smoking cigarettes.
Even 'they' say eliminating or further reducing those few remaining chemicals might result in a 2% - 3% increase in 'safety'.

Perspective,,, name one thing a human ingests or comes in contact with daily that is 92% ~ 98% 'safe'.
Water?, nope.
Air?, nope.
Food?, nope.
FDA approved medicines?, nope.
Walking to your mail box, nope.

Who really is being intellectually dishonest.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Vaping is better from a personal experience level regarding health. Mine has improved substantially versus smoking. So my personal choice is vaping as it works for me.

As far as TC goes, I use it with ss316 wire as I like the consistent vape I get from it once set up on the mod. As for staying below 420F. This may or not be the case, who know what the actual temperature really is that is being produced, you can only go on what seems good with a specific mod.

I mean they are all over the place and not uniform. One mod 380 is good on another brand you have to push it past 400 or 420 to get the same vape. So we will remain at the guessing it is in range by the fact that there is no burnt taste and when it runs low or out off juice it just stops producing vaper without burning.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Some of those same folks consider vaping to be in the realm of 90% - 95% safer than smoking cigarettes.
Even 'they' say eliminating or further reducing those few remaining chemicals might result in a 2% - 3% increase in 'safety'.

Perspective,,, name one thing a human ingests or comes in contact with daily that is 92% ~ 98% 'safe'.
Water?, nope.
Air?, nope.
Food?, nope.
FDA approved medicines?, nope.
Walking to your mail box, nope.

Who really is being intellectually dishonest.

Well, some of those folks who do believe it is 90-95% safer on the basis of a consensus of a panel, not by experimental determination. Maybe it's 90-95% or maybe it is 50% safer. Even 50% safer would be a milestone in prevent tens of thousands of deaths. So we all love throwing around that 95% number, but if you ask the people who wrote that position paper, no one has actual data to support that hard number. Yet.

As far as 92-98% safe in or daily activity, I can't see 5% of the population falling over ill or dead from going to the mailbox. I'm also not aware of anyplace in the US where water represents a 5% mortality risk, same goes for food (consumed properly, a month of McD's only will do in just about anyone).How often do we hear of recalls of tens of thousands of packages of one food or another based on only a theoretical risk of contamination, or several cases of illness out of those tens of thousands of packages of food resulting in action.

Remember, the risk associated with cigarette use is measured in mortality. None of the other cases presented represent that relative risk ratio of vaping to smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread