charging issue with new battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonrr

Nov 17, 2011
Nevada
i bought a "neverlightagain" starter kit about a month ago and just got an order in from madvapes containing my new mega battery. (same size as normal, but it is about an inch longer)

the new battery is a manual and the old one is an automatic. the manual worked fine for a while, but now it is giving the classic blinking LED telling me to charge the battery.

i plugged the new battery into my charger and it will not charge the battery. i have gotten the LED light to flash a few times when plugged in to the charger, but most of the time it won't. either way, it will not charge. my neverlightagain battery still charges fine on the same charger.

do i need a different charger to charge a manual?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
i bought a "neverlightagain" starter kit about a month ago and just got an order in from madvapes containing my new mega battery. (same size as normal, but it is about an inch longer)

the new battery is a manual and the old one is an automatic. the manual worked fine for a while, but now it is giving the classic blinking LED telling me to charge the battery.

i plugged the new battery into my charger and it will not charge the battery. i have gotten the LED light to flash a few times when plugged in to the charger, but most of the time it won't. either way, it will not charge. my neverlightagain battery still charges fine on the same charger.

do i need a different charger to charge a manual?

I'm not sure what type of battery you have. I have purchased ego batteries from Mad Vapes and I had to adjust the center button to so it could make a connection with my battery charger.

I got a screwdriver and pulled the center button out very very slightly. I want to emphasize that because too much and you'll ruin the battery. Also make sure the connection on the charger is clean and free of juice.

Both batteries were purchased from the same place? You have to be careful sometimes with batteries they are off brands. Some are reverse polarity and trying to charge it on a different charger will kill the battery.

brandonrr

Nov 17, 2011
Nevada
thanks for the replies. i appreciate the help.

the new battery was ordered from madvapes.com. the old battery is from: Never Light Again Premium Electronic Cigarettes | Live The Life You Want!
this is the exact kit i bought:Starter Kits :: Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit (Basic) - Never Light Again Premium Electronic Cigarettes | Live The Life You Want!

this is the new battery i bought: 510 Mega Manual Battery, Red LED

when i plug it in (the new one), it flashes a few times and then the light goes out and it looks like nothing is happening. the "NLA" battery LED stays lit until it is done charging.

update: i left it on the charger, even though the light wasn't on and i just took the battery off and it was very warm, about 100F-105F. it is working now and seems to be charged and has cooled down. my old battery is smaller and never gets more than very slightly above room temperature when charging. do these things usually heat up when charging? it was on the charger for about an hour.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
510 -threading does not mean "can use a 510 charger". For example, L88b (Blu, Trio, some other junky rebrander models) is reverse polarity from a 510 charger and an fry a 510 battery. Also L88b might charge at lower amps.

Buy a 510 charger for for the 510

Agreed. You need to contact your supplier and find out what charger is appropriate for what battery. Even within the Joye product line you cannot charge a 510 battery on an eGo or Ego-T type charger. Even though a cigarette size Joye battery will fit the threading on an eGo charger, doing so is guaranteed to fry it. A Joye eGo charger puts out more than twice the current of the charger used for their smaller batteries.

Rick

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
I have a feeling the wrong charger is being used for your new battery. You mentioned the battery led stops blinking on the charger- that's perfectly normal for most cig-type batteries I've seen. The only light I usually see constant is the one on the USB charger.

But the hot battery- that isn't normal. No battery should be hot to the touch after charging, and I would cease using it on that charger if I were you, or you may end up having a fried battery.

That's the problem of being a new user buying from vendors that have a mish-mash of products, because some parts may fit others, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're compatible. Many users on this site know exactly what they need based on electric voltage, etc, but I don't and I just like simplicity anyway, so I stick to buying everything within one product line for the hardware, but juices in an array of places.

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
a basic multimeter is a good tool for an ecig user ... can usually be had for around $10. You can use one to test the polarity of your new batt compared to the old. If you hook the negative lead of the multimeter up to the positive battery terminal, it will normally give some indication of reverse polarity, like a minus sign in front of the voltage readout (does not hurt the meter in any way). I would bet your old and new batt are opposite in polarity.

Addendum: Typically, when you plug a slim batt into the charger, the led on the bat itself will go on constant, the led on the charger will go red, indicating that its charging, at some point (if you happen to be watching it), the charger will go green, then the led on the batt will go out and the charger will go red again for a short period of time before going green again. My understanding is that the charger is stupid, just limits max current and gives an indication of current flow (or not) ... the smarts are in the battery itself ... it controls the charge cycle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread