Charging 18650's recommended charging current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjeco

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Manila, Philippines
I use a pair of AWT 35A and Smurfs 18650's, and i always prefer to charge them slowly at 0.5A, is that safer as compared to charging them at 1A? If I were given a choice I would have charge them at 0.25A.

So is charging at lower Amperes affect the batteries performance and relatively safer? And is there any benefit in charging slowly?
And I only charge my batteries overnight so I really don't mind the slow charge.

Thanks guys!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Slower = cooler = longer battery life

For the higher current batteries, 15A-rated and above, you really aren't going to see much of a difference in battery life between charging at 0.5A and 0.25A. But, it won't hurt anything to charge at the lower rate. Let the battery temperature be your guide. If any battery gets more than warm, lower the charge rate.

Having a charger that doesn't turn off when done can hurt your batteries though.

Reactions: tj99959

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    As many others have previously stated lower charging amperage means less strain on the battery which in return prolongs battery life. Below .5A there is such a minor difference in battery temperature while charging that I'm not sure the extension of the batteries lifespan justifies the extended charging time. Looks like I have an experiment to conduct...

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2013
    Good rule of thumb if you have a choice of charge currents is to charged them at about 0.5C max. Batteries charged at or above 1C may suffer in lifespan due to heat buildup, not to mention 'Let's keep it safe'.

For a 700 mah battery, no more than 350 ma charge current.
    For a 2000 mah battery, no more than 1 amp charge current
    For a 5000 mah battery, no more than 2.5 amp charge current.

bluecat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    I always thought (There I go thinking again) that each battery had a recommended charge rate. The slower the charge the longer the cell would last. Take this for example

AW IMR 18650 3.7v 3000mAh Flat Top

This part in particular

Standard Charge Rate: CC/CV ( 1.5A - 4A max.)

It would lead me to believe that any charging between 1.5A and 4A is "safe". Maybe I misunderstood?

BTW.. nice battery there.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I always thought (There I go thinking again) that each battery had a recommended charge rate. The slower the charge the longer the cell would last. Take this for example

This part in particular

It would lead me to believe that any charging between 1.5A and 4A is "safe". Maybe I misunderstood?

It would be safe but the battery will have a longer life if you charge at the lower end of that 1.5A-4A range as that lowers the temperature the battery reaches during charging. I'm thinking that 1.5A is the "standard" rate and 4A is what is often called the "fast" charge rate by battery manufacturers.

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
    Oct 17, 2013
    3000 mah x 0.5 = 1500 ma, or 1.5 amps.

Again, 0.5C max. For a standard charge. For maximum life. For maximum safety.

It's sometimes necessary to come up with a safe 'standard', considering the many claims that can be made by peddlers. Lithium battery technology is at a particular point, no matter what many may claim. There is no super battery yet, only derivations of the standards; but no magic bullet yet.

Using the 0.5C method will ensure that you are always safe, and always treating your batteries with the utmost in charging 'respect'.

Reactions: bluecat

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    I've found not only is a low current trickle charge easier on a battery, at the .25 to .5amp charge rate, the battery generally charges up closer to full capacity and lasts longer on a charge then. I however have well over a dozen batteries, battery first comes out of my device, set it aside for about 6 to 8 hours, then charge it, once charging done, goes into another 4 to 8 hour set time before goes into my ready to use sets. If you have few batteries and are discharging them at a rate of 1 an hour, then I can see bumping charging current up to keep your rotation going, but would suggest getting more batteries, as the two set aside times I use allows the batteries to cool fully before charge or use, and lets the ions in the battery come to relative rest and not be agitated continuously

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere

This part in particular

A tem sensor is required to reduce charging current if the battery gets too warm at a 4 amp rate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread