Travel and Vaping Charging Batteries Abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudJreams

Apr 11, 2017
Chicago
Hi all!

I am going to be traveling from the US to London, Amsterdam, and Prague this summer and am concerned about how the different outlets and power conversion will affect my vaping.

Currently, I own a Nitecore i2 Intellicharge Charger for my LG HE2 18650 2500mAh batteries (all purchased on Amazon).

The input on the charger is 100-240v. I found that the electrical outlets in the countries I am visiting are 220-240v while US outlets are 110-120v. Can I still use this charger since it goes up to 240v? Or is there another charger someone can recommend that I can buy in the US?
Also, I know I will need an adapter to fit the foreign outlet types. I was going to buy a converter too because I need it for my hair straightener. Should I use a converter for the battery charger as well?

Has anyone traveled abroad and can offer advice or products they recommend for charging? This sounds really dumb, but I am terrified of damaging my batteries and blowing my face off.

Thanks!
- J

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
With the adapter, your charger will be fine. No need to use the converter with it.

Before purchasing a converter, you need to check the wattage of your hair straightener and ensure you purchase a converter that can handle the load. You'll probably find that it's probably cheaper just to purchase a new hair straightener when you get to Europe.

Reactions: Izan

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My advice when it comes to vaping and traveling is..... take simple stuff. My preferred mod for traveling is the MVP's. Its USB chargeable, it can be a battery backup for your phone, it doesn't look fancy so it usually doesn't get questioned when going through the x-rays at an airport, and it can last for days on end if used conservatively. If I ever got any questions about my MVP I just told them it was a battery backup for my phone and plugged it in to show them. This also eliminated the need for a charger and extra batteries which have a huge stigma around them and flying right now.

I used to carry just a carto tank with a 1.5 ohm coils and just vape higher nic juice due to the restriction of the tank and well I was just traveling so vaping was primarily for a nic fix more so than a luxury. Less is more when thinking about it this way. Just take as little stuff as possible, try to keep all your vaping gear separate. I kept my MVP in with my electronic and the attys and juices with my toiletries. Make sure none of your attys have juice in them either just so nothing looks out of place. Not that you are doing anything wrong just makes getting through the security lines quicker.

Take as little stuff as possible when traveling. Less stuff to pack, carry, and to forget. I would also do some research and find some B&M's before you get over there. Little easier to get local gear and travel with it once you are across the pond.

So yeah.... go buy a MVP and a simple looking tank and leave your current gear at home. Less headaches and more function on the go.

cloudJreams

Apr 11, 2017
Chicago
With the adapter, your charger will be fine. No need to use the converter with it.

Before purchasing a converter, you need to check the wattage of your hair straightener and ensure you purchase a converter that can handle the load. You'll probably find that it's probably cheaper just to purchase a new hair straightener when you get to Europe.

Thanks retired1! I just ran the whole voltage issue past a knowledgeable friend who is good with electronics and ecigs and he agreed the charger would be okay without a converter.

As for the hair straightener, I'm taking an old one that I don't care about, and if that fries, I'll just wear my hair up the rest of the trip, haha.

cloudJreams

Apr 11, 2017
Chicago
My advice when it comes to vaping and traveling is..... take simple stuff. My preferred mod for traveling is the MVP's. Its USB chargeable, it can be a battery backup for your phone, it doesn't look fancy so it usually doesn't get questioned when going through the x-rays at an airport, and it can last for days on end if used conservatively. If I ever got any questions about my MVP I just told them it was a battery backup for my phone and plugged it in to show them. This also eliminated the need for a charger and extra batteries which have a huge stigma around them and flying right now.

I used to carry just a carto tank with a 1.5 ohm coils and just vape higher nic juice due to the restriction of the tank and well I was just traveling so vaping was primarily for a nic fix more so than a luxury. Less is more when thinking about it this way. Just take as little stuff as possible, try to keep all your vaping gear separate. I kept my MVP in with my electronic and the attys and juices with my toiletries. Make sure none of your attys have juice in them either just so nothing looks out of place. Not that you are doing anything wrong just makes getting through the security lines quicker.

Take as little stuff as possible when traveling. Less stuff to pack, carry, and to forget. I would also do some research and find some B&M's before you get over there. Little easier to get local gear and travel with it once you are across the pond.

So yeah.... go buy a MVP and a simple looking tank and leave your current gear at home. Less headaches and more function on the go.

Thanks for the insight Tintreach! I am actually looking into buying a new device for all the possible issues and reasons you listed above. I'd like something smaller and more portable, but I'll def take a look at the MVPs because it sounds like they worked out for you.

I've travelled a couple of times domestically with my gear since I started vaping and only had slight issues coming home from LA. I ended up having a nice chat with the TSA agent because he liked the look of my Sigelei Fuschai and was looking to quit cigs and switch to vaping. Only time I've ever had to pull my device out of my purse, but not sure what to expect internationally. I'm guessing the simpler the better and I like the idea of saying that it's a phone charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread