Charging batteries before they get drained ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
No memory effect with Lithium batteries. Charging before they get too low eases the charge-discharge cycle stress. We only take them down 3v or 3.2v in our mods before the battery indicator flashes.

Mooch says that they can go down as low as 2.5v for a complete discharge without damage, but cell longevity suffers if you do that over and over. Chances are the cell that reads 3v on the charger went down lower under load and recovered a little by the time you put it in the charger.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had this question a few days ago and was heartily reassured that it was not only fine, but best practice to recharge prior to draining the battery completely. It seems counterintuitive to me (though I do believe it) I guess with the chemistry of the battery, it puts a strain on it to be discharged very low, so it's a good question with a useful answer :)

Anna

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
The battery management electronic inside your devices prevents any chance of over-discharging your cells. 2.5V is a safe cut-off figure for high-drain applications, and cell voltage jumps back fairly above 3V after that happens. I really doubt this can do any noticeable damage to the cells. Check out this article if interested: How far can LiIon be discharged? @ lygte-info.dk

I'd be more careful with the time my cells spend at or near full state or charge, as this is known to reduce lifespan. If you can afford it, better fill up your cells just before use. Oh! And keep 'em cool. :D

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread