Charging istick 50w question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick500

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
Australia
Bit of a noob question..

But I have the istick 50w and on the bottom it says 5v 1 amp for the charger, in Australia it doesn't come with a appropriate wall charger.

I was using a 5v 1.5amp charger as that is the closest I have, but I noticed the charger getting a tad hot.

I have a galaxy tab s tablet charger lying around as well, which is rated as 5.3v and 2 amps.. I tried that for about 15 minutes and it doesn't get as hot.. But is obviously a lot more powerful.

Is it silly to use the galaxy tab s charger?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Bit of a noob question..

But I have the istick 50w and on the bottom it says 5v 1 amp for the charger, in Australia it doesn't come with a appropriate wall charger.

I was using a 5v 1.5amp charger as that is the closest I have, but I noticed the charger getting a tad hot.

I have a galaxy tab s tablet charger lying around as well, which is rated as 5.3v and 2 amps.. I tried that for about 15 minutes and it doesn't get as hot.. But is obviously a lot more powerful.

Is it silly to use the galaxy tab s charger?

I use my Galaxy Note charger, works fine.

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
I use my Galaxy Note charger, works fine.

the galaxy note charger is most likely around 1 amp charger. generally smart phones are ~ 1 amp and tablets are ~2.1 amps. i would use the 1.5 amp charger. or if you want something you know will be safe for it you could plug the usb into a computer of gaming console usb port though that will charge it slower

mick500

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
Australia
the galaxy note charger is most likely around 1 amp charger. generally smart phones are ~ 1 amp and tablets are ~2.1 amps. i would use the 1.5 amp charger. or if you want something you know will be safe for it you could plug the usb into a computer of gaming console usb port though that will charge it slower

Cheers. I have a new Nokia lumia 1320 here that I just bought which also uses a 4400mah battery like the istick, the charger for that is 5v 1.5a as well.. I assume that should be pretty safe to use if I use that wall adapter with the usb cable that came with the istick.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Should I let the battery die completely or charge when its almost low

The worst thing to do is to let a lithium battery run down to nothing. The iStick 50 is actually designed to not fire and to auto shut off if the battery drops below 10 percent. This is to prevent any damage to the battery. It certainly won't hurt to charge it up early.

Edward Aiz

Apr 14, 2015
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I agree with the one member, best not to let the battery completely die if though the device will lock before it harms the battery. A battery shouldn't go below 3.6 volts or else you will shorten the life of the battery. And it's a good habit to get into because when you step up to the 18650/26650 etc batteries, if you go below the 3.6 volts especially in an unregulated mech or box mod, the battery life is definitely shortened and if you let the battery completely drain you must purchase a special charger in order to recharge the battery from its dead state.

A battery should be your prized possession in the vaping community. Once you get the battery chemistry down all else falls into place.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
My 50w istick takes over 5 hours to charge and I dont know why..
According to the instructions, it will take a little over 5 hours to fully charge the iStick 50. Remember that you have 4400 mah battery in that thing. And that time is based on having it plugged into a 1 amp charger. If you charge it by plugging it into a 0.5 amp charger (such as your computer's USB port) it will take longer than 5 hours. The charger that the iStick comes with is a 1 amp charger. The specs for the device says that it uses 0.8 amps when charging. Certainly going lower won't hurt the battery, and going higher "shouldn't" hurt the battery either. If you use a 2 amp charger (such as an iPad) charger, the circuitry inside the iStick should limit the charge to 0.8 amps (even though the charger is providing 2 amps, the iStick will only use 0.8). Granted the operative word is "should".

With my iStick 50, when plugged into a 1 amp charger or lower, it never gets warm when charging. Even plugged into the "fast charger" for my cell phone in the car (produces 2 amps when plugged into a cell phone that supports fast charging, 1 amp when not) it never gets warm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread