Charging replaceable batteries in the mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
External chargers are usually better built, better ventilated for heat dissipation, and more exact. It's hard to beat the charge quality and safety of a good name brand like Nitecore, Xtar, Efest, and so on.

Unless we knew exactly what chip they're using for charge and the specifications of it (as well as how well the actual chip matches the listed specs), it's hard to determine how good that charge is without some extensive testing.

So overall, the recommendation to charge outside the mod, if possible, is generally a good idea. For built-in batteries, that's simply not an option and we're stuck with what they give us. For that reason, I tend to avoid mods with built-in batteries--quite aside from the ultimately disposable nature of the mod and the charging down-time required.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
There's no real reason you can't. But I like my Nitecore and my Xtar better than the dime-sized charging boards they build in mods because I think they take better care of my batteries and extend their life. Another issue, on a firmware-upgradable mod, is wear on the mini-USB plug.I have heard people complain they wore it out charging and couldn't upgrade later. Finally, I don't like to be tethered to the wall while charging.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I look at it this way: if there is a USB charge port I'll use it. It may not charge as fast or in some cases (personally don't know of any) as fully as an external charger but I really don't care.

If I'm stuck with a single 1x 18650 mod for an extended period of time I'll bring a few spares along, otherwise both my single 18650 mods can be USB charged and are somewhat of a PITA to remove/install a battery. My mods share the same USB "charge station" as my bluetooth headsets and cell phones.

Personally, I can't count how many electronic devices I've owned that charge via a USB cable that I've never had an issue with.

I usually have more than one mod charged up and active at a time so tossing one on a USB charger is really no big deal for me however if I were time constrained with external power sources I'd use external charging as it can be faster.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Charging to 4.10 volts rather than 4.20 is known to extend the life of batteries. You can't do that when charging on the mod unless you take a ruler to the charge indicator. Plus if the battery does develop a problem during charging, I would rather have it exposed to the air rather than contained in a mod.

Reactions: MaxwellPink

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Its all a matter of economics. If it goes belly up in a charger, its 20-30 bucks. If it goes belly up in the mod it may be as high as 200+. And I tend to trust a dedicated charger much more than "dime sized" convenience feature. But what do I know? None of my stuff has on board charging, LOL. Wifey has 1 with the feature, but she dont trust it either.

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    And I tend to trust a dedicated charger much more than "dime sized" convenience feature.
    Yup. I rely on USB passthrough charging only under the most dire of circumstances (as in I forgot to bring my charger along). I have an XTAR VP2 in both of my vehicles for the express purpose of external mobile charging.

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    I'd always read and heard that heat was your battery's enemy when charging, that it can degrade the structure of the battery over time. And since many of these 18650 batterys have an average recharge life of approx 300 recharge cycles I want mine to last as long as possible. I avoid quick charging. I've noticed that when I charge at a 1.0 amp (which is the standard rate on alot of chargers) on my smart charger, the batteries will frequently get warm, sometimes quite warm....charging at 0.5 amps they always stay cool. Takes twice as long but I'm not in a race. And I think I get a better, fuller charge at the slower rate. I'm not an engineer or an electronics expert, this is my subjective opinion. But these are lithium batteries and need to be treated with care.
    I won't charge batteries in the mod for that reason, if it takes only 2 hours it is charging at too high a rate for my liking. And I won't buy a mod with a built-in lithium battery pack, because at the end of 2 or 3 years when it won't take a charge anymore, you end up with an expensive looking paper weight.

GemInEye

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2015
    Somewhere In PA
    Well im a sucker for pass thru because once upon a time i didnt have a back up and ended back on stinkies when they would die. But i just bought my first mod that takes 18650s about 3 weeks ago and really i have enough of back ups that i dont have to worry about that anymore..but i dont want to kill my batts quickly with using the mod to charge them or endanger myself or anyone else by doing so. it never occured to me that maybe i shouldn't rely on usb charging in the mod.

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
    Good point. I'm just cheap and try to save money. One day I will hopefully buy a nitcore or efest charger. Better your charger and not your mod.
    I love my Nitecore - even though I am a little concerned that it has the option to shut off the lights for overnight charging. Why would anyone charge overnight? Not exactly safe.

Great question. I just purchased the Snow Wolf Mini 75w. It's my first mod where battery can be removed (I was into the Eleaf brand and the batteries were dying too quickly for me). The guy at the shop where I bought it, didn't say to charge it externally. I specifically asked, too. If I was to purchase a battery charger, does it matter what kind? I mean, as long as it charges the 18650 batteries, does it really matter?

@GreenEyezGirl : Yep, it does matter. Really cheap chargers tend not to be great at their job. I'd stick with a good name brand like Nitecore, Xtar, Pila, or the like.

Personally? I use and love an Xtar VC4, but I'm usually very content charging my batteries at 500 ma--or 1,000 if I'm in a hurry. I have six batteries in rotation and rarely drain them below half anyway (both slow charging and gentle use encourage a longer lifespan).

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    I frequently hear that charging replaceable batteries while still in the mod is a no no, but I'm curious to know why. I mean, how is it any different from charging a mod with a non replaceable battery?

There have been many instances of someone using a charging cable or power source that is higher amp current than the batteries will accept, ie an Ego which needs only 420mAh charge current and someone plug the charger into an iPad charging wall wart (2.1amp current) this is a bad disaster waiting to happen. Pioneer4You for instance has had several models (IPV3 and IPV4) onboard charger fry and/or damage batteries and equipment. Not that all onboard chargers have issues, but others do, quality control and engineering mistakes happen, best not to put yourself in danger and harms way, using the onboard charger when not at home and need to in an emergency you can use the mod's own charger, but do not leave the mod unmonitored the entire charge or while it is charging.

Most name brand external chargers do a lot more than just charge a battery, they also detect battery type, if the battery needs to be deep cycled (pulled up from a very very low state below 2.5v), condition the battery, and other things, along with as stated above better ventilation so the battery doesn't overheat during charging, as well as cut off if they detect high temp and other faults during the charge.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    There have been many instances of someone using a charging cable or power source that is higher amp current than the batteries will accept, ie an Ego which needs only 420mAh charge current and someone plug the charger into an iPad charging wall wart (2.1amp current) this is a bad disaster waiting to happen. Pioneer4You for instance has had several models (IPV3 and IPV4) onboard charger fry and/or damage batteries and equipment. Not that all onboard chargers have issues, but others do, quality control and engineering mistakes happen, best not to put yourself in danger and harms way, using the onboard charger when not at home and need to in an emergency you can use the mod's own charger, but do not leave the mod unmonitored the entire charge or while it is charging.

Most name brand external chargers do a lot more than just charge a battery, they also detect battery type, if the battery needs to be deep cycled (pulled up from a very very low state below 2.5v), condition the battery, and other things, along with as stated above better ventilation so the battery doesn't overheat during charging, as well as cut off if they detect high temp and other faults during the charge.
    Not an expert, but as I understand all more or less modern devices could be charged from any charger and be safe (you can blow USB port on old computer, but not USB device). No problems with high-powered wall chargers. There is another thing to consider: how well charging circuit of your mod was designed. If you do not believe your mod, if you have any indications other people had problems with charging, do not charge with USB.

USB is designed (at least in the last 8-10 years) to be an universal thing. High current rating of charger does not mean it will pump current into battery. It only means it is capable of providing as much current.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread