Charging replaceable batteries in the mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
@GreenEyezGirl : Yep, it does matter. Really cheap chargers tend not to be great at their job. I'd stick with a good name brand like Nitecore, xtar, Pila, or the like.

Personally? I use and love an Xtar VC4, but I'm usually very content charging my batteries at 500 ma--or 1,000 if I'm in a hurry. I have six batteries in rotation and rarely drain them below half anyway (both slow charging and gentle use encourage a longer lifespan).

Thank you so much Morpheus!!!

Reactions: MorpheusPA

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Not an expert, but as I understand all more or less modern devices could be charged from any charger and be safe (you can blow USB port on old computer, but not USB device). No problems with high-powered wall chargers. There is another thing to consider: how well charging circuit of your mod was designed. If you do not believe your mod, if you have any indications other people had problems with charging, do not charge with USB.

USB is designed (at least in the last 8-10 years) to be an universal thing. High current rating of charger does not mean it will pump current into battery. It only means it is capable of providing as much current.

All true and I agree, yet there have been enough incidents and product cautions arisen in the last 12 to 24 months alone with onboard chargers, for the inexperienced or those that do not research their devices thoroughly, I am of the safety mindset to give a blanket reply and caution against using an onboard USB charger, but if you do to never leave it unmonitored during charging. Example that arises that blanket response is the troubles with charge ports on the first versions of the IPV3 and IPV4 and earlier versions of the iStick50watt. It boils down to the quality control and engineering at the manufacturer's level. 90% QC or Engineering safe level, all it takes is the 10% that failed QC to give a model a black eye as those are the ones that get reported on the news due to injury or fire, the end user is still the most responsible for their own safety, best to have as many safety barriers between you and the possibility of an incident.

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
So this is what I've gathered so far:

It's better to charge replaceable batteries externally.

If you must use the USB it's preferred to use the lowest output (I currently use my iStick charger for my built ins, which is 1A, but I do have a 0.5A charger that I may switch to).

ALWAYS monitor your batteries when charging, regardless of charging internally or externally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread