• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cheap, but decent, Mod. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
I've already got several, but love collecting e-cigarette parafanali as kinda a hobby of mine. Some very expense authentic ones, and some clones.

Based upon these two clones, which one would you order (if any) to add to your collection:

1) Great ratings, but simple design: $21.99 Nemesis Style Mechanical Mod - stainless steel / with telescopic 510 contact pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

2) Slightly lower ratings (being newer), though quite the eye-catcher: $26.32 Maraxus Telescopic Mechanical Mod - eight vent holes / floating 510 center pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Thanks for the honest feedback guys. Always appreciated. Good or bad.

Last edited:

Ryan H

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
Changwon, South Korea
I have the Nemesis, it sucks .... Magnet in the switch will make it much better but overall it's a garbage mod. I'd go for the other just because of the terrible time I had with the Nemmy.

If you're looking for a decent FT clone, the stainless Chi You with the dragons etching was awesome for me (I lost it at a park somewhere). It had less than 0.1v drop, a great switch, and was sturdy as a brick. Someone somewhere has a nice clone setup because of my stupid backpack zipper lol

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
I have the Nemesis, it sucks .... Magnet in the switch will make it much better but overall it's a garbage mod. I'd go for the other just because of the terrible time I had with the Nemmy.

If you're looking for a decent FT clone, the stainless Chi You with the dragons etching was awesome for me (I lost it at a park somewhere). It had less than 0.1v drop, a great switch, and was sturdy as a brick. Someone somewhere has a nice clone setup because of my stupid backpack zipper lol

Thanks Ryan.... I'll scrap the Nemesis clone idea and highly consider that "Chi-You." I liked the look of that one, but the name just sounded too Chinese for me, thus falsely assumed it was utter junk.

Thanks to your opinion, that's top of my list now.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
It's the luck of the draw with fasttech. Interesting how my experience with the nemesis is actually the opposite. I have two of them, brass and SS, and both work flawlessly with just springs. Sometimes the firing button needs a little fine sanding to get rid of the crunch. My King mod (Chi You) was an utter piece of crap. Threads were rough and it was always loosening up on me. Always check the reviews carefully before you buy. You will see the SS Nemesis and the Chi You are the two most popular mods. But you never know if you will get a good or bad batch.

if I were you I would forget about the mechanicals and go for a decent regulated mod. FT has the Sigelei 100W+ listed since Friday.

There are even some reg/mechanical box mods available for a decent price. e.g. Authentic DOVPO GX-200 Mechanical Mod

However having said all that, I'm done with cloned mechanical mods. They always need some kind of modification. There are much better authentics around for just a few dollars more. And like many I figure regulated devices are the way to go. My Sigelei 100W is a solid device and it's what I use 90% of the time now. Can't see myself buying another chinese cloned mod again.

Don't forget to use xmas14 to get 5% off. ;)

Last edited:

Ryan H

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
Changwon, South Korea
The king mod is crap indeed and is not the same as the Chi clone with the dragon etching. That's the best one to get if you're going to get an FT Chi. The bottom ring loosened on me once like you said until I tightened it really good using rubber gloves. It never came loose after that... in fact that was the only problem I ever had with it. Sanding the Nemesis button with 2000 grit and then polishing it to mirror like with a rag helped a lot but it was short lived. All in all it is too much of a pain in my ... to continue maintaining. Dealing with mech crap is what got me into building SX devices... I build it the way I want it and no more issues lol

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Decided to hold off on buying another Mod, just to sit next to the other ones that don't get used. The weekends tend to bring out stupid thoughts. Thank God, FT allows one to cancel an order. Good God, I'd have a room full of junk had they not had such a customer service friendly policy.

Focusing more on quality from now on, and things I actually need, rather than want ;)

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Your VTR and Vamo will be fine for your Kayfun. Kayfuns are meant for flavor not massive clouds. Once you want to step up then you might want to look at more watts. And unless you're into drippers 15 - 20 watts will be more than enough. On my tanks I never go above 25 watts and mostly 20 watts, and thats with dual coils. The way the Chinese are pumping out new regulated devices you will probably have some great cheap choices in the new year.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Your VTR and Vamo will be fine for your Kayfun.
Kayfuns are meant for flavor not massive clouds. Once you want to step up then you might want to look at more watts. And unless you're into drippers 15 - 20 watts will be more than enough. On my tanks I never go above 25 watts and mostly 20 watts, and thats with dual coils. The way the Chinese are pumping out new regulated devices you will probably have some great cheap choices in the new year.

Thanks for that advice. Well put.

Received the Kayfun today asking with a trillion other things ranging from coils, pre-made wicks, flavour concentrates, more nicotine, etc.

Been mixing liquids for the past few hours. Later tonight I'm gonna take a stab at the Kayfun. Seems to be a lot of parts to it. Gonna need to follow a YouTube video to make sure I'm doing things right.

In another few weeks, wire, Cotton, and a jig will arrive. In the mean time I'll be using the premade.

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Great...let us know how you make out with the Kayfun.

I see this is gonna take time! First of all, the 1.5 Ohm wire registers at 3.7 Ohms and my digital Mod (without tasting burning) is set at 5.08V 7.0 Watts. Obviously I've done something wrong, but not sure what as it's full of fluid and I'm not about to empty it tonight.

Also, at first it was gurgling and I was drinking fluid as I obviously overflowed it. Thus I sucked the excess fluid out the air hole. When I try to increase Volts or Watts I taste burning.

Could be the wicks are not put in right or the wires are touching. I have no idea.

It's gonna take many more YouTube videos and trial and error to get the hang of this as nobody I know personally vapes.

In any event, the Kayfun is a solid, well build, polished unit. It's not the fault of it, by any means. I just have no experience using Atomizers.

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Make sure the wires are tightened down good to the leads. That's probably why the difference in resistance. Try using a figure 8 method if you're using silica.

Dry hits too much wick ...gurgling too little wick. Make sure your wick is laying above the channels, not blocking the channels.

Ya wicking takes time. You tube is your friend.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Make sure the wires are tightened down good to the leads. That's probably why the difference in resistance. Try using a figure 8 method if you're using silica.

Dry hits too much wick ...gurgling too little wick. Make sure your wick is laying above the channels, not blocking the channels.

Ya wicking takes time. You tube is your friend.

Ok, I'm gonna remember to tighten them better next time. I was hesitant on stripping something, but it seems very solid. More so than the screw driver I was using.

Also, I saw that "figure 8 method" on YouTube being made with wire. Mine, for the time being are all pre-made with Silica. I have a feeling that I didn't do place the Silica correctly within the chimney. I cut off the excess, but just kind of plugged most of it in the chimney all touching the wires (of that's OK) but they could be blocking the channels leading to dry burns.

Thanks for your time and patience. Before I bother you anymore, tomorrow I'm gonna start from scratch again (without my 5 year old son hanging on my back) and really follow a video step-by-step.

Again, thanks Waddle ;)

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Well, today after watching a few more YouTube instructional videos, I've finally learned how to wire up a pre-wired wick to the Kayfun. And my oh my, is it ever cool.

The Ohms this time were exact on 1.5. The problem before was crappy wiring on my part, stuffing the Silica into the channels of the Kayfun, and overflowing. Now that I've got those issues solved, I'm OK.

What burns my gut the most is that I have about 10 Protanks and Cleomizer, and 50 or so coils I've stocked up on. Basically, I don't even wanna use them anymore. The vape from an Atomizer like the Kayfun is so much better, indescribably better. And much much cheaper in the long run, for no more coils such as the i30s which can't be rebuilt. No longer such a slave to FastTech.

Really looking forward to taking it to the next step and wiring up my own coils with a jig and some cotton. Be a few more weeks for that package to arrive.

Again my friends, thanks for sharing such great info and suggesting the Kayfun Light Plus.

If I were to invest in another reasonable priced Atomizer for my other Mods, what would you suggest. I find myself still vaping at low watts, maybe 10, and about 5 Volts. Just as I was with the Cleomizer. But, the flavor production from the Atomizer is so much better. So, I don't need a super vapor. Just something that won't break, is dependable, and no leaking issues. A 4 post is not necessary. Just simple, but good. I could get another Kayfun Lite V2, but I'd like something different just for variety sake.

What do you suggest? Any of these, possibly? I don't know...

http://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10010961/1937000-flash-e-vapor-v3-style-rebuildable-atomizer

http://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10009629/1997406-mutation-x-v2-styled-rda-rebuildable-dripping

Many many thanks, as always....

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Glad to hear it.

The clearomizers are nice for a quick run out the door. Especially in steath mode.

I would say forget the flash-e-vapor.

My recommendation for a second single-coil atty:

$20.67 GT-S AFC Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (5.0ml) - stainless steel + PC / 23mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

http://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10011393/1981101-authentic-eleaf-lemo-rta-rebuildable-tank

But if you can hold off a bit the Taifun GT V2 has just been released as well as the Kayfun V4. The latter being listed on FT since Monday.

Drippers like the mutation-X are good for practicing coil building. A lot of people prefer drippers for vapor production and flavor. Personally I hate the fact you have to add juice all the time. Although some people swear by their drippers in a REO mod.

My preference for cloud and vapor are two RTA devices 1) Orchid V4 and 2) Fogger V5 (also just released). But both these are dual coils.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10009162/1978700

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009514/1930801-orchid-v4-styled-rebuildable-tank-atomizer

I will receive the Aqua V2 tommorow and will post a review here.

$35.31 Aqua V2 Style RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 1:1 clone / 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

This was first listed as an Authentic until Footon complained. Supposedly it was a overrun from the factory in China. The authentic is $150 while this OEM was only $30 (Black Friday Sale) for me. Unfortunately now they are saying they're not taking orders from Korea. But I don't know if thats just lip service.

Last edited:

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Glad to hear it.

The clearomizers are nice for a quick run out the door. Especially in steath mode.

I would say forget the flash-e-vapor.

The Taifun GT would be my recommendation for a second, it was actually my first recommendation, if you look back:

$20.67 GT-S AFC Rebuildable Tank Atomizer (5.0ml) - stainless steel + PC / 23mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

But if you can hold off a bit the Taifun GT V2 has just been released as well as the Kayfun V4. The latter being listed on FT since Monday.

Drippers like the mutation-X are good for practicing coil building. A lot of people prefer drippers for vapor production and flavor. Personally I hate the fact you have to add juice all the time. Although some people swear by their drippers in a REO mod.

My preference for cloud and vapor are two RTA devices 1) Orchid V4 and Fogger V5 (also just released). But both these are dual coils.

I will recive the Aqua V2 tommorow and will post a review here.

$35.31 Aqua V2 Style RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 1:1 clone / 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

This was first listed as an Authentic until Footon complained. Supposedly it was a overrun from the factory in China. The authentic is $150 while this OEM was only $30 (Black Friday Sale) for me. Unfortunately now they are saying they're not taking orders from Korea. But I don't know if thats just lip service.

Thanks for all that time you put into that, Waddle. I'm gonna consider those seriously.

I'm also interested, as I know see, there are mini Atomizer's available for Ego style batteries. I have a few high quality E-Cigarettes which are thin in nature. Would this kind of set up be recommended by you for such devices instead of the mini Protank 3, the Korean Hakamizer, or the C6+?

$6.67 RDA Mini Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (1.5ml) - stainless steel / 3-airhole / 2.4

What do you think?

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Wait a minute, Waddle. You say that FastTech is no longer taking orders from Korea, or just got that specific product? I'm confused and surprised by this. Please day it isn't so....

Ya I was in on the initial listing for the Aqua V2. They have listed that they are no longer taking orders for this "one" single item from Korea. Footon is a Korean manufactuer. Everything else is game on as before...sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Waddle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
Korea
Thanks for all that time you put into that, Waddle. I'm gonna consider those seriously.

I'm also interested, as I know see, there are mini Atomizer's available for Ego style batteries. I have a few high quality E-Cigarettes which are thin in nature. Would this kind of set up be recommended by you for such devices instead of the mini Protank 3, the Korean Hakamizer, or the C6+?

$6.67 RDA Mini Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer (1.5ml) - stainless steel / 3-airhole / 2.4

What do you think?

It's a dripper. People love them or hate them. I'm not one for having to add liquid repeatedly. I love my tanks. :)

Both my Orchid and Fogger produce vapor like a dripper (RDA) but without the hassle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread