• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cheating death for a little while longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Me, I don't think I'd fight too hard. At that age, and after already fighting it off once.... I'd make them give me enough pain-killers to be comfortable and wait for my ride home. I've had Aunts that were eaten up with cancer... fight on and on and on well after any hope of recovery. So much suffering! I've been not just at death's door, but with a foot through the door... death doesn't hurt. Staying alive & endlessly suffering does. I'd let it go and move on. I have things to do, people to see. Death is only a doorway.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Nighthawk: A door way to? That depends on your beliefs, of course. No question, the fear of ceasing to exist is the #1 reason for religion's existence.

I don't know how I'll handle it ... hopefully with dignity. And, I hope there isn't a lot of time to think about it. I think I think that, but when confronted with the reality, who knows? I might decide to fight it until medical bills have consumed a lifetime's worth of work and the assets of my immediate family as well. I shudder to think I'd be that selfish, and hope I have the strength to not be. When the time comes, I just don't want it to be a drawn out thing, get it over with. Life goes on, it doesn't revolve around me. I'm sure it will be scary though.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
I have worked in a nursing home. I have seen firsthand how incredibly cruel it can be to be held in a body that should have passed long ago. I have not been afraid to die since the first time I did it. I have a death sentence hanging over me now, in fact. I will not live to be an old lady. I've made peace with it. Everyone dies, there's no getting out of it. I totally respect other's choices in how they choose to go out....
For those of you that want to, you can request a "DNR" order from your doctor, it means "Do not Resucitate". also known as a 'no code' patient. All the nurses I know that have dealt with the dying have one. Everyone should have an 'advance directive' in place. It dictates your wishes for medical care or treatment if you should become incompacitated. At the same time you should name a 'health care proxy' to make decisions on your care if you are unable to. Sometimes this is much better left to a reliable friend rather than a child or spouse who may be too emotionally invested in hanging on and drastic procedures.
Lots to think about. Important, emotional, financial, moral difficult decisions to be made. You must also make your wishes well known to your family in advance to have any hope of getting what you want done. Even then... in fear of lawsuits, most medical facilities will 'err on the side of life' and keep you going anyway. you must have a clear understanding with your doctor, your family and the medical staff whatever your decision may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread